The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

It appears that Finland is becoming a hotbed of shoegaze goodness. This is the 3rd Finn group I've come across in the past month or so. Not really what I'd expect, but I guess beautiful music will find a heart to make it the world over. This stuff is actually quite good--dreamy and atmospheric on one track, and gazer poppy on the next.

"Gleaming Endless Ocean" by Scarlet Youth

Ah, the mysteries of internet linking via MySpace. You start with a perfectly nice band, and after a mere few clicks, it's scary where you can get. I just had to share this. I expect it will be far more interesting to most of the industrial fans around here than my normal fare.

Sad thing is that the song is ever so slightly catchy to me. O_O

"I Want Your Blood" by Combichrist

It appears that Finland is becoming a hotbed of shoegaze goodness. This is the 3rd Finn group I've come across in the past month or so. Not really what I'd expect, but I guess beautiful music will find a heart to make it the world over. This stuff is actually quite good--dreamy and atmospheric on one track, and gazer poppy on the next.

"Gleaming Endless Ocean" by Scarlet Youth

I liked that song actually. Like some romantic doom metal song without the wall of guitar distortion.

Ah, the mysteries of internet linking via MySpace. You start with a perfectly nice band, and after a mere few clicks, it's scary where you can get. I just had to share this. I expect it will be far more interesting to most of the industrial fans around here than my normal fare.

Haha, yeah. That´s my favourite way of discovering new artists.

Although I´m quite a fan of industrial myself, I enjoyed Scarlet Youth more :).

Foetus - Nail (1985)
This is actually a bit tainted by industrial too, but the whole album is a rather crossoverish one. Post punk, Tom Waits, rock´n´roll, lounge. I love it.

The Throne of Agony

Anything (Viva!)

The Downward Spiral wouldn´t be what it is without this album.

Also, Void of Silence - Human Antithesis (2004)

A rather over the top symphonic doom from Italy.
So ridiculous, it´s great!

Grey Horizon (MPH MMIV)

bought some big edition of The Wall, got into it today and it knocked us out!

Good cd tho, I forgot how nice and doomy guitar it is in parts!

Picked up the 'Ultimate Ella Fitzgerald' on sale for $5 on Amazon this weekend ... but it was missing the famous 1960 live 'Mack the Knife', so I grabbed that separately. 67 classics for $6 ... not bad!

... Was listening to the ZZ Top Live DVD ... :)

Neat stuff ... :) I liked their music, but have never seen them live - I think they are live even better than on the albums ! :)

I went to Last.FM looking for 10 Second Dynasty and came up dry (they've got the band, but no clips), but I stumbled on this one. Great song. Can't really speak to the Final Fantasy vid. Enjoy.

"Wanderlust" by Claire Voyant

Hoping Amazon MP3 picks up some of the jazz releases - new Scofield this week, Dejohnette soon ...

Devin Townsend, Devin Townsend, Devin Townsend!

He recently released a teaser for his new album "Ki".
I´ve been looking forward to his new record a lot already, he´s my favourite artist after all, and hoped the creative pause he´s taken will prove beneficial because his later efforts were a bit on the weaker side.
That said, after hearing the trailer I can say I wasn´t this excited about a new release for years. It sounds completely awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/devintownsenddtb

For those interested, I recommend to read the interview about the album too, it´s interesting and some bits about how he´s chosen the musicians are pretty funny.

Anyway, probably a reposts, but some older Townsend´s songs, just for the heck of it:

Stagnant

Deadhead

Nobody´s Here

YAY!!

How about a little 80's prog rock?

"Kayleigh" by Marillion

A little bit of Sarah sound, a little bit of indiepop, a lot of fun, and a silly band name:

"Young Adult Friction" by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

And how about even a bit more of prog?

Some undertheradars I like:

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971)
Tongue-in-cheek, poppy, sometimes jazzy prog from Canterbury.
Golf Girl

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un minuto (1972)
Italian folky prog.
Impressioni di settembre

Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Paix (1972)
French psychedelic prog with STRONG female vox and latin influences.
Jusqu' ce que la force de t'aime
This song killz!!

Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim (1983)
Brazillian prog with great female vocals and, eh, flamenco influences.
Ultimo Entardecer

God, I hate prog! (the word, that is)

Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There's Someone.

Heard the song in a Torchwood episode, took me by surprise. Haunting, full of sorrow, beautiful. :tears:

Reminds me a bit of Michael Andrews and Gary Jules version of Mad World, which was played during the credits of Donnie Darko. Always makes me stop and think.

Last edited:
Speaking of Mad World, it's a Tears for Fears song, just like Suffer the Children...

Currently listening to the Police. I downloaded this Complete Collection a while ago, don't quite know what to make of it yet.

Übereil

Back
Top Bottom