Dragon Age - Desslock Comments

..yeah, the same desslock who wrote that FO3 is a faithful sequel to the letter and the spirit of the series. Des has lost it. Whenever the hardcore fanbase has some issues with a certain product, he comes to the rescue. He's a corporate salesman now. It happens to all old lawyers. That's certainly a shame, but he won't fool me again. His articles on PCG aren't any better, mind you. Plus, I certainly don't need his opinion to see what tripe DA is.

I know a troll when I see one. You are far from it DArthagnan, but Quests certainly is. :)

..yeah, the same desslock who wrote that FO3 is a faithful sequel to the letter and the spirit of the series. Des has lost it. Whenever the hardcore fanbase has some issues with a certain product, he comes to the rescue. He's a corporate salesman now. It happens to all old lawyers. That's certainly a shame, but he won't fool me again. His articles on PCG aren't any better, mind you. Plus, I certainly don't need his opinion to see what tripe DA is.

Good point, I guess.

That said, I can't just ignore all his good stuff from the past.

FO3 is a pretty good game, in my opinion, but I have to say I don't find it particularly faithful to the prequels.

But since I haven't read his articles related to that game, there is always the biased interpretation factor to consider.

My experience with the industry and the marketing campaign of DA tells me the game will be mass market "mediocre" for an enthusiast gamer like myself. However, this bit from Desslock casts a bright light on my scepticism.

Heh there you go.

R.i.p Desslock.

(as if i ever heard of him before ofc which i didn't)

Truth is the only ones left to trust are the CODEX ppl, because it's the forum itself that calls for uncompromising uncorruptible steel-hearted old oaks.

And none of them is a "FAMED" PRICK.

I know a troll when I see one. You are far from it DArthagnan, but Quests certainly is. :)

I only troll bullshit.

With your "oblivion isn't bad but not so good, can be enjoyed, with mods and blabla" you think you're being a balanced mannered gentleman, but you're not making any serious point, you're a no one with no message.

Last edited:
Let's all agree that no game in the world is objectively good, please.

exactly ... and in the end, does it really matter? Isn't it really about the context of us as RPG fans that the assessments matter anyway?

Heh there you go.

Amen

R.i.p Dasslock.

(as if i ever heard of him before ofc which i didn't)

Truth is the only ones left to trust are the CODEX ppl, because it's the forum itself that calls for uncompromising uncorruptible steel-hearted old oaks.

For anything approaching truth, you're going to need unbiased people dealing with unfiltered facts.

That in itself is so rare, that no forum in the world is going to have more than a tiny percentage of such people.

To top it off, there is likely no truth when we're dealing with objective quality in gaming - because to guage objective quality we need a comprehensive set of clearly defined and measurable aspects of objective qualities.

In effect, you're misguided and strike me as mildly fanatical. This means I can't take you seriously.

Desslock's comments regarding this title are not that profound and even Gaider seemed to distance himself from the silly, "edgy" trailer that was released. So it's not a surprise the end product may be above what we have seen already in the form of Marilyn Manon videos.

The only reviewer I ever trusted was Scorpia way back in the day when CGW was good. Having said that I don't think in this case Desslock (at least who alleges to be him) is acting as the Mouth of Evil Video Game Marketing. He could have said this game is the worst since Lionheart and I still will buy this title. I miss a BG style single-player game so I can't wait until October.

For anything approaching truth, you're going to need unbiased people dealing with unfiltered facts.

That in itself is so rare, that no forum in the world is going to have more than a tiny percentage of such people.

To top it off, there is likely no truth when we're dealing with objective quality in gaming - because to guage objective quality we need a comprehensive set of clearly defined and measurable aspects of objective qualities.

In effect, you're misguided and strike me as mildly fanatical. This means I can't take you seriously.

And i certainly can't disagree more.

in your hard and goofish struggle to be moderate-opinioned, you forget that to go forward someplace we have to chase a point that's ahead, a destination, not try to put the argument to sleep by going "this isn't bad or good, nothing is bad or good", shit. This is not unbiased, this is being biased by sticky gooey moderation at your feet.

In the case of RP gaming the truth can only come from the most hard-assed uncompromising elite players, people who AREN'T biased and corrupted and can't TOLERATE anything that's not fucking GOOD, and when they do it so you can see their stern steel sullen foreheads, heroes whose phrases always end with 2 words

CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES.

Does an RPG have them? No? SHIT.
Does it? are they good? No? SHIT.

Oblivion is undoubtably the anti-christ of roleplaying game, cause it's a temptation for players to be superficial, and rely ONLY on graphics and "immersion" in a bugged, empty, boring, nonsense but bloatedly good-looking world.

Last edited:
And i certainly can't disagree more.

in your hard and goofish struggle to be moderate-opinioned, you forget that to go forward someplace we have to chase a point that's ahead, a destination, not try to put the argument to sleep by going "this isn't bad or good, nothing is bad or good", shit. This is not unbiased, this is being biased by sticky gooey moderation at your feet.

In the case of RP gaming the truth can only come from the most hard-assed uncompromising players, whose phrases always end with 2 words

CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES.

Does an RPG have them? No? SHIT.
Does it? are they good? No? SHIT.

Oblivion is undoubtably the anti-christ of roleplaying game, cause it's a temptation for players to be superficial, and rely ONLY on graphics and "immersion" in a bugged, empty, boring, nonsense but bloatedly good-looking world.

You seem to have missed the bit where I told you I can't take you seriously. That's because I don't believe in communicating with fanatics.

Naturally, I could have changed my mind - but your inability to understand the very significant difference between a personal and subjective opinion (what you think of Oblivion, for instance), and then the objective truth - as in the actual quality of Oblivion (is it objectively good) in this case - tells me I was all too right.

You will be placed on ignore, so we can both save time.

That said, your tirade-like posts strike me as good entertainment - and I wouldn't dissuade you from going on like that. I will have to miss out on them, but I'll live.

Problem is, Quests,Muin ... you have very few posts here and have set yourself up as a troll. Not an auspicious start ... but as you say - choices, consequences. Have they been good? No! So your image is ... as you say 'sh!t'.

Actually none of the Marlin Manson vids managed to remove DA from my list(except the one with the sausage) but after reading that this guy praised Fallout 3 I have my doubts.

whatever, moderat-o-man :biggrin:

If you guys lemme, i'll explain you in 2 words where's the evil in saying

"Oblivion isn't bad".

this is NOT a subjective description of the game, mind you, it's just succint:

When one thinks about that game all one sees is a guy/woman that trots around woods and hills, enters caves that are all the same(fact), kills people and creatures which all fight using the same routines(fact), explores cities and villages, steals random items from houses for money, enjoys night and day cycles. It's all about the graphics to make it appear exciting, there's no doubt about that.

So who says it's a good game and who says it's bad?

1) I say it's good because videogames are in the end meant to be mild casual entertainment, for relax or a laugh, they have to know their limit which is offering a pleasant pastime, a mind-sleeper if you will... hey those are games, nothing to do about it.

2) I say it's bad because videogames are the new media after literature and cinema, they have to offer compelling food for your intellect, they have to explore humanity in ways movies and books couldn't conceive... because videogames offer interaction.

So the fact that Desslock actually liked the antichrist means that he doesn't believe in serious gaming anymore... and his opinions are to be considered junk.

Problem is, Quests,Muin ... you have very few posts here and have set yourself up as a troll. Not an auspicious start ... but as you say - choices, consequences. Have they been good? No! So your image is ... as you say 'sh!t'.

Yeah screw first impression, nobody will remember to be mad at me for trolling, in 2 hours, this is the net... maybe the ideas stick, instead.

Since I happen to have liked Oblivion a lot (one of the few games I've played more than once, and without any mods!), I guess I don't have a problem with the reviewer.

Since I happen to have liked Oblivion a lot (one of the few games I've played more than once, and without any mods!), I guess I don't have a problem with the reviewer.
I enjoyed Oblivion but IMO F3 is another story.

It's connoisseurs, and Desslock's rep with the 'elite' appears to have slipped over the years.

I enjoyed Oblivion but IMO F3 is another story.

I enjoyed oblivion, and I'm really enjoying playing fallout 3.

The troll who posted earlier about all the things you can do in oblivion made me laugh. What else do you do in other RPG's? It is the same in just about every other game. I can't think of many modern RPG's that you don't do exactly that(most if not all older rpg's as well.) Mostly though, as soon as he mentioned the codex of a place of wisdom and insight he lost me.

It is sad that it seems to be the trend with alot here to pick apart Oblivion and Fallout 3 but then bless the gothic series and even two worlds....the anti bethesda glasses must be working.

I think the difference between Desslock and alot of you is that he hasn't become so jaded that everying new is bad.

Back
Top Bottom