Bethesda - Elder Scrolls Anthology Announced

Gamers have a tendency to be so overly dramatic. Nothing about this anthology indicates that there will no longer be singe player TES games. They just want to capitalize on the Skyrim craze, and get them to buy the rest of the series.

What I find slightly worrying here is that this anthology comes across like a final ultimate edition. I could be very wrong, of course, and it's just their strategy to keep TES on the shelves and in the news and to keep trucking along until TESO.
I can't quite shake the fear, however, that this edition may be the closure of single player TES. Will Bethesda pull a Blizzard and bury TES single player RPGs like Blizzard buried Warcraft RTS when WoW went live?

I seem to remember that someone from Bethesda (Hines?) said 'no' to sun-setting single player TES but it's a huge company and maybe someone somewhere higher up changed their mind…? Hopefully not.

I got slightly worried about that as well when ESO was announced.

However, I don't think that we can really compare this situation with Blizzard. With Blizzard, they didn't just put the Warcraft RTS games on ice, they pretty much stopped releasing anything unrelated to WoW for quite a while. Look how long it took for sequels to Diablo and Starcraft. It sounds like Bethesda still has plenty of games in the pipeline.

Plus, ESO is unlikley to become the juggernaut that WoW did. MMOs are in decline, particularly subscription based MMOs. It will probably do well, more in line with SWTOR and Guild Wars 2. Given the success of Skyrim, I doubt they would stop making the single player games. I guess time will tell...

No manuals either in it.

I got the Skyrim Legendary edition a bit ago and that it came with zero attempt of a manual annoyed me. I was staying away from internet information but was forced to head there to find out basic stuff like what icons mean in the hud. I'm still learning what I consider basic info from the loading screen info tidbits which should have been available in a decent manual.

To be fair, it's a kind of a good deal. Arena and Daggerfall are already freeware, but buying Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim game of the year/legendary editions, would cost over $100 on Steam. this gives you all of those games at a lower price, plus some neat packaging stuff.

I'm always a bit unsure who are supposed to buy these. Fans are already going to own all the games and not likely to spend $80 on the extras. Non-fans are not likely to spend $80 on a series they don't know yet.

If they included a DRM free version of Skyrim I might be tempted to buy it even though I already have the other games.
But I guess there's a greater chance of Hell freezing over than that happening...

I for one do not like Stream. Would I buy this. Probably. I am still playing Morrowind today like I played it 10 years ago. I always come back to Morrowind, I have Oblivion and Skyrim and have yet to play them. I tried to get Daggerfal to load on my computer...but no luck. Loved Daggerfal; but it was laden with bugs and crashed at least once every 15 minutes.

Would have sprung for this if it was DRM free and included Battlespire and Redguard.

As it is now, I already own all of the main series in the box except for Redguard and Battlespire, both of which command ridiculous prices on ebay.

It would be a far better deal if it came with a "most popular fan mods" dvd for the latter 3 games, then it truly would be the Elder Scrolls Final Solution.

At least up to this point

Does the Knights of the Nine or Shivering Isle DLCs for Oblivion also include all the other smaller DLCs for Oblivion such as Horse Armor, the Orrery, and the Vile Lair? Seems like these should be included if not that's not right.

Back
Top Bottom