FO: Other Van Buren: A Fallout Adventure (Q&A and Information)

Any other Fallout game

TheProduct

Watcher
This is straight from their page on Moddb

http://www.moddb.com/games/f3-van-buren

Their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/f3vanburen

"Van Buren: A Fallout RPG Adventure is a remake of Interplay's canceled Fallout 3 by fans. You are the Prisoner in this - the biggest ever - Fallout game. We are using original design documents, developer interviews and forum posts as info sources. We're looking for contributors so feel free to contact us. The game will require preinstalled copies of Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics"

When I saw this I was very interested so I emailed the man behind the project, Hexer .. We exchanged emails and I eventually asked him a couple of questions (5 Questions) about the game and he was very easy to talk to and had no problem answering them, I decided to make a video about it ( the video includes screenshots, some already on the web and others that were given to me for the video) , I will post the link and the transcript of my questions and his answers.

The Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3m61mFpAqk

Transcript

TheProduct : What inspired you and your team to remake fallout van buren and bring it back from the dead?

Hexer: Today's CRPGs can't hold my attention the way older ones did. Because of that I was losing interest in CRPGs and became frustrated with the fact that I might never play a game like Fallout 1 or 2 again in my life. So there I was at the end of 2013 trying to find a solution. I asked myself a question - what CRPG do you want to play? One of the classics that has been around for decades? - No. Something new yet in the same vein as the classics? - Yes, Van Buren, the canceled Fallout 3 from Black Isle Studios.

Since I have lots of experience with modding Fallout 2 and doing large projects on my own (privately and on my daily job), I was perfectly comfortable with the idea to do it on my own. It would take a long time but I can do it. So I started and posted about it on RPGCodex's forum. Soon, other fans started contacting me expressing support and even joining me as writers, musicians, artists, etc.

TheProduct: You are using original design documents, developer interviews and forum posts as information to bring the original vision to life as close as you possibly can, Is it enough for a full game or do you have to add original ideas of your own to flesh the game out?

Hexer: Yes, we have to rely on our own ideas and writing abilities in certain areas. We gathered plenty of information on the internet but that wasn't enough. The main plot was loosely defined while some locations and companions weren't written at all, merely mentioned. Changes to the game's famous SPECIAL system were also incomplete.

So we rolled up our sleeves and started filling those gaps in. We put some extra strain on ourselves by bringing back everything BIS cut from the game but we believe that's the only way to do it right.

TheProduct: This is a personal question for you Hexer, What is your favorite fallout game and why?

Hexer: My favorite Fallout game is Fallout 1. I love the atmosphere, the story, the world, and the music.

TheProduct: Is there anyone from the original F3 van buren development team working (or giving support ) to the project?

Hexer: Chris Avellone helped us with our questions related to the main plot and central characters. We plan on reaching out to other developers when we finish the Alpha version. If not with questions, then with information that Van Buren is happening after all and they'll get a chance to play it!

TheProduct: I would have to ask of course! Is it possible to give me time frame of release, percentage of how much you have gotten done?

Hexer : We're currently assembling the Alpha version which is over 7 GB in size. Most of the music is done, the art is about 80% done, mapping is under way and we've finished about 40% of our maps, we are a little behind with dialogs lately although I'm certain our dozen writers won't disappoint. Changes to SPECIAL and scripting numerous quests are also under way although I will first need to finish the new art and mapping before working on it full time with our other programmer.
Voice acting and cinematics are last on our list of things to do so we only discussed them informatively although we secured voice actors for the Narrator and a few NPCs.

With all this in mind and considering our current pace of work, I don't see the game being released sooner than 2016. We want to make it right and certainly not rushed and disappointing!

Great interview, thanks.
I'll try the game when it's out.

Very nice. I always felt the F3 were lacking something.

Sounds like a neat premise, I'd certainly give it a try. I really thought, back in the day, that Van Buren could have been one of the great games, had it actually happened.

Nice, I'll keep an eye out. :)

I really enjoyed doing this.. Hexer was very easy to talk too and I wish him as his team the best !

Now that I got this done I can finish my article for felipepepe's book and stop slacking :p

Back
Top Bottom