No Thread on the Second Hobbit Movie?

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
That's a surprise unless I missed it somehow. So for those that saw it - what say you on Jackson's creative license? Tolkien turning in his grave or its all in good fun? I was mostly in the second camp because Smaug was so well done. I also saw it in RPX HFR which was a treat.

Redbox ? Or Orange Box ?

Yeah, it looked great on the big screen. I enjoyed it, saw it twice. But so much of it was not from the books and they made it a little too much like an action movie. I guess Game of Thrones has spoiled me some with all the character development and realistic action.

I'd much rather watch it in the comfort of my home than deal with a theater. I'm one of those people who don't like theaters at all.

I'd much rather watch it in the comfort of my home than deal with a theater. I'm one of those people who don't like theaters at all.

I hear the whole thing is 48 fps, so its worth watching it in the theatre and possibly even 3d.

Me, I haven't even seen the first one. I hear Jackson has been taking stuff from the lore with these two movies. Can't wait for a Simirillian movie ;)

Silmarillion movie ? He'll most likely focus on showing Melkor and the Nirnaeth Arnoediad ! ;)

You'll be waiting a looooooon time for that Simarilion movie if Christopher Tolkien has his way.

I'm just coming back from the theatre and that's 3 hours of my life I want back. It's not so much that The Desolation of Smaug is a bad movie or something, it's just endless. Like 1.5 hours too long. There's some good stuff (mostly the Dragon) but the rest is just mindless fluff that's there to pad out runtime. After all that time I can say I'm too exausted to properly hate it.

I'm really hoping that once PJ is done with the next movie, someone recuts all the material from the 3 movies into one sensible picture.

Btw, I totally wish I had waited for a home release. I still haven't seen the movie that is worth seeing in 3D, and I'm not offered a choise when going to the theatre, as unlike someother, mystical places that have 3D and non3D showings of pictures, around here that's the stuff of legends. There just aren't any. A home edition would allow me to watch it at my own leasure, like in 30 minute chunks or something, so that the whole ordeal is more bearable.

I thought it was too short. The longer the better. I can never get enough of the PJ New Zealand vision of Middle Earth. I'd like to see more fleshed out scenes including Beorn and Mirkwood.

I did like PJ's vision of Middle Earth the first time around better. However, as much as he wants this to be another LotR, it is not. The source material just doesn't justify this long a movie. Not to mention how huge parts of Desolation felt too much like from a childrens movie, which doesn't mesh with the rest of the epicness.

I wouldn't have minded more dragons if the rest of the movie was shorter though.

I heard Legolas is in it. That told me all I need to know about the movie, if I'm thoroughly bored when it makes it to HBO I may watch it then, but probably not. And if I ever drive by the Tolkien estate I plan on egging them for letting such a travesty occur. I mean, I think I personally have a huge ego but I cannot imagine the size of balls it would take to ever think you could improve Tolkiens work. I see red when I think of it, tbh.

The Tolkien estate has nothing to do with the movies. The professor sold the movie rights in the late 60's because he thought nobody could ever make a movie out of his books. So egg your own estate :) and get your facts right before you vandalize anyone.

What I find incredible is that with LoTR, 3 movies were made from 3 books, but with The Hobbit, 3 movies are being made from ONE relatively short book!!

What I find incredible is that with LoTR, 3 movies were made from 3 books, but with The Hobbit, 3 movies are being made from ONE relatively short book!!
Correction one book and a bunch of history found in Tolkien's LOTR encyclopedias. Still they only did it to maximize profits by making one very long movie into three parts.

I remember watching the original three in the theaters and thinking is it over yet. Especially the last one with all the fade to black scenes. :)

Worst part was Smaug, he' supposed to be ancient, evil and cunning, he did not convince.. i also hated how they tried to kill a fire dragon with.. fire. retarded. The rest was decent, but first movie was at least 50% better (seen it 4 times, i still like it).. I can't remember the last part of the book (read it 20 years ago), but i guess Smaug will have an even bigger role in the third part :(

Back
Top Bottom