PC Game Piracy Examined

zakhal

SasqWatch
Mr. Kouroush Ghazi, the owner of the Tweak Guides website, has published an extensive article on PC game piracy, it's reasons, scale, and effects.

Give it a read, it's a well thought out, unbiased article.
PC Game Piracy Examined

Author: Koroush Ghazi
Last Modified: December 2008
Printable Version: Printing Guides

Introduction

If there's a single topic that's guaranteed to cause heated debate among PC gamers today, it's piracy and the impact it's having on the PC gaming industry. Almost every gamer you speak to has a strong opinion on this topic, ranging from full support for piracy to total condemnation of it. In the past year in particular this issue has really come to a head, with one major PC game developer after another stepping forward to point to piracy as a clear and present danger to the industry.

As a long-time PC gamer, I have to confess that I've become extremely frustrated with reading the numerous discussions and articles on piracy. PC piracy and related topics such as DRM seem to have become so shrouded in illogical excuses, hysteria, scaremongering and uninformed opinions that having a sensible discussion on the topic is virtually impossible. While it's true to say that it's very difficult to obtain completely accurate and conclusive data on piracy and its impacts, it doesn't help that there are a range of vested interests deliberately spreading misinformation on piracy-related issues.

I decided it was time to compile an article which takes a close look at every facet of PC game piracy with a view to hopefully clarifying the debate with a range of facts. I'm not looking to repeat the same old one-sided, superficial examinations of PC piracy that you'll find everywhere else. What this article does is examine PC game piracy in a logical manner, taking into consideration a range of publicly available evidence to provide an informed view of the current state of play. I encourage those of you who are genuinely interested in this topic to take the time to make your way through this rather long but thorough article, as I believe it provides a great deal of food for thought for those willing to read it.

Conclusion from the end (incase you dont want to read 10 pages to reach it):

The Culture of Piracy

In researching this article I read literally hundreds of articles, studies, forum posts, blog posts and general comments from a wide range of people. What disturbed me more than the blatant misinformation and falsehoods regarding various aspects of the debate was the unashamed 'Culture of Piracy' which now appears to be prevalent around the Internet. Not only are the people who are pirating games openly bragging about it, they're flowering it up with a range of excuses, even suggesting that it's their right to do so. Back in the 1980s when my friends and I swapped copies of Amiga games, we didn't blame the copy protection for forcing us to do it, we didn't blame copyright laws, or assume it was our right to copy any game we want in the name of 'freedom', we didn't even make a point of openly advertising that we did it. We copied games for one simple reason: because we could.

Fast forward to the 21st century, and piracy has apparently somehow become a political struggle, a fight against greedy corporations and evil copy protection, and in some cases, I've even seen some people refer to the rise of piracy as a "revolution". What an absolute farce. Truth be told I have the greatest respect for the people who simply come out and just say that they pirate because they can, no more, no less. At least then I know I'm dealing with someone who's being honest and has got their head screwed on straight.

Piracy is the result of human nature: when faced with the option of getting something for free or paying for it, and in the absence of any significant risks, you don't need complex economic studies to show you that most people will opt for the free route. However to back this up, the data presented in this article shows quite clearly that DRM or no DRM, good game or bad game, demo or no demo, available via Steam or not, cheap or expensive, whether sold by an independent or a major publisher - all games are being pirated on a massive scale. The most significant determinant of which games will get pirated more is how desirable they are. No surprises there.

The purely self-serving nature of the arguments people use to justify piracy has become quite galling, and frankly is an insult to the collective intelligence of all internet users. Whether you pirate games or not is ultimately none of my business, but at least have the decency to be honest with yourself and everyone else about the real reasons why you're doing it.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Internet forums are full of discussions about this article:
http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&c...wst=1&q=PC+Game+Piracy+Examined&start=10&sa=N

Last edited:
"Piracy is the result of human nature: when faced with the option of getting something for free or paying for it, and in the absence of any significant risks, you don't need complex economic studies to show you that most people will opt for the free route."

This pretty much sums things up and human nature (which is what consumerism is based on) wont change. I have never heard of any business model that was "saved" because of consumers. Consumerism is based on human laziness, leisure, greed, pleasure etc... all of these human nature. The way we work and live our lives also makes us ignorant to most things that have huge effects on us. There's simply not enough lifetime to consider everything you do and find the most optimal solution for everything, we will most likely do what's familiar to us and what's easily accessible.

Bottom line, humans never change, just our environment. We adapt to our environment, maybe one which our ancestors improved, but removed from that environment we are still what we are by nature. The environment that made selling information on recordable media profitable is now dying and without reversing technology, that is the future. It's not necessary good news for computer companies, neither is it neccessary good news for the consumers. Compare with horsebreeders and fans of horses, who are kinda not in the same stage as they were 200 years ago. Technology can really change how we live, but we never change.

Give it a read, it's a well thought out, unbiased article.

At least then I know I'm dealing with someone who's being honest and has got their head screwed on straight.

an insult to the collective intelligence of all internet users.
Yeah, I'm sure he went in to this with no biases or preconceptions at all, because anyone who opposes the idea of applying physical property tradition to the immaterial realm simply must be a retard. ;)

That part was from the end of long 10 page article. Theres like 9,5 pages of text missing between the first quote and the last quote (i did guess that somone might use it as a strawman). If you read it from the beginning you find out how he came into such conclusion.

Last edited:
but we never change.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or just move on. I think both, as someone who hasn't changed yet, but is trying, I know people who do not fit those descriptions you mentioned. They happen to be priests and people I know from my temple.

Don't forget about one of the most important facts about humans "The need to know the unknowable" In that pursuit a lot of people do change. Whether they are removed from their environment or not.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or just move on. I think both, as someone who hasn't changed yet, but is trying, I know people who do not fit those descriptions you mentioned. They happen to be priests and people I know from my temple. Don't forget about one of the most important facts about humans "The need to know the unknowable" In that pursuit a lot of people do change.

Ideas and strong determination can override natural behavior, but they are artificial.

Well, in my opinion, and this doesn't justify piracy, but here goes:

First off, there are only a few game developers out there that I can truly respect and feel the need "to support." That said, the excuse for piracy based on the claims that game companies of today are greedy corporations may be unfounded, but the fact remains that game companies today are greedy corporations. Game companies today, as they did all those years ago, appeal to the lowest common denominator. Which is ok I suppose, since, as I stated, they always kind of did. But some companies wanted to do something different. Some companies wanted to try something new, perhaps create an entirely new style. Companies like Bungie, Bullfrog, Origin... These companies appear to have been gobbled up by their larger corporate competitors. So today, we seem to have only a few mega corporate companies that keep dishing out the same thing over and over again, with the same reviewers still drooling over stuff they've already seen, all the while, what few worthwhile developers that remain are left in the dust. Every RPG, or even every game set in a fantasy environment seems to have to look, as if by protocol, like some World of Warcraft clone. That same goofy cartooney look, as if the artists weren't talented, motivated, or warranted to do anything else. Every game has either Jeremy Soule, or some other untalanted high-paid music artist that does nothing other then to take you away from whatever the game tried to immerse you in.

All in all, I can understand why people steal from these companies. Games today seem to not last as long as they used to. If it's being produced by a major company then it seems to be guaranteed a good review. These companies release stripped down demos that barely show you anything, as if trying to trick you into thinking there will be more if you'd only buy their product. As it is, I believe that many people who pirate games wouldn't even bother to buy the game if they were forced to, and for the rest, they seem to follow that golden rule of piracy: if you like it, buy it! While companies like to tout how many people have stolen their game via the internet, they don't have any hard data on how many of these people later uninstalled their game, because they didn't like it. They'll take your money ok, but few seem to have any sort of easy venue of returning games. Steam, for example appears to still have a "no refund" policy.

I'm not saying I endorse piracy, but I must admit, I am somewhat sickened by this rallying behind these corporate entities as if they were somehow hurting. It feels like rallying against shop lifters that target Walmart. These companies don't need your support or your articles. They'll rip you off whether you "support" them or not.

Like I said. I'm not telling anyone to go out and steal, I'm just trying to give a bit of the flipside to this article. Cheers!

All in all, I can understand why people steal from these companies

Like I said. I'm not telling anyone to go out and steal, I'm just trying to give a bit of the flipside to this article. Cheers!

Ok, if they want to steal the game and make a statement then they should get off their butts, go down to their local Best Buy and steal it the right way;)

In case anyone is immune to skavenhordy type of humor, that was a JOKE:). Still, I would have more respect for pirates if their actions and statements actually involved some type of risk.

The real risk with piracy, is that the games we enjoy will no longer be made since the devs go broke!!

I liked that article, but definitely see the bias in there as well - but at least it isn't 'mindless bias' like we usually get.

It would be interesting to see companies say "we are really just trying to protect the first month or two, which is when 80% of our profits come in ... so after 3 months we'll release a patch eliminating all activation and going to DVD-check only ... and after 1 year release a patch that eliminates the DVD-check as well. That would show that they are protecting their IP and corporate interests, but also thinking of the legit customers.

It would be interesting to see companies say "we are really just trying to protect the first month or two, which is when 80% of our profits come in ... so after 3 months we'll release a patch eliminating all activation and going to DVD-check only ... and after 1 year release a patch that eliminates the DVD-check as well. That would show that they are protecting their IP and corporate interests, but also thinking of the legit customers.
Was this not done to bioshock? There are other games too that have had their DRM removed post launch and to som have been given promises to do so in future. But its still not that common. I wish they would get rid off the dvd check as well. Its the most useless and annoying protection. Luckily som devs realize that and ship games without it (mass effect).

I just did a reinstall of windows and had to uninstall all licenced games. I didnt really like it at all (Its not like a kept a list of game DRMs) but it went aok. Most games that had to be uninstall were wargames from battlefront and storm eagle studios. They are small developers and use very strict DRM allthough they have loosened it up in their newest games.

This pretty much sums things up and human nature (which is what consumerism is based on) wont change. I have never heard of any business model that was "saved" because of consumers. Consumerism is based on human laziness, leisure, greed, pleasure etc... all of these human nature. The way we work and live our lives also makes us ignorant to most things that have huge effects on us. There's simply not enough lifetime to consider everything you do and find the most optimal solution for everything, we will most likely do what's familiar to us and what's easily accessible.

You know, I have always struggled w/ this one, and Im finally coming forward and asking an explanation. This big problem that people have with others who go out and buy things that they want, with the money theyve earned. This is some big sin apparently, this "consumerism", the act of buying things that you want.

Please explain to me: What exactly is the problem w/ someone such as myself, who works all week long, and then goes out and buys things that I want, w/ the money that Ive earned? Besides of course rankling those who wish that they had the power to go out and get things that they want as well. That's what im seeing it as - jealousy. Being pissed off that others are happy. Someone has something that I dont have or cant afford, and it's not fair, so it's bad.

Now even the act of stealing, not even paying for what these jokers are acquiring, is thrown on the backs of the consumers (paying customers=thieves?) as well. All I want to do is work an honest job, and provide things for myself and family that we want and need? Is that truly so bad?

Seriously, plz explain.

Also, "No business model ever saved because of consumers"? People buying things, not good for business?

Please, enlighten me to your wisdom on this. Maybe I'll have some sort of grand anti-purchasing ephiphany or something.

Last edited:
everyone should be entilted to convert the efforts of their labour into tangible rewards, and not be scrutinized for whatever they choose. that said, there is a stigma with the word 'consumerism' (those last 3 letters are always a bitch) that tends to signal something beyond free choice but an unnatural fed desire to buy things we don't really want, and even less likely need. everyone falls prey to this at some point, but those of lesser incomes usually have an unhealty ratio of impulse/infomed consumer.

Even if that's the case, and I was to buy something compulsively that sat in it's proverbial wrapper forever - so what? What harm am I doing to anyone?

I dont see how it's anyone's business (no pun intended) what someone else chooses to do w/ their money, let alone look down their nose at them and judge them over it. Someone's broke, so they want to make being broke some sort of virtue, and if youre not broke and can live comfortably and buy things that you want with your hard-earned money youre greedy and selfish.

In the act of buying, youre buying a product from someone who's selling it, youre supporting a business. Youre paying wages, youre paying taxes, youre as the govt would say "helping the economy". If i bought Kings Bounty and it sat here for years in the plastic and I never played it, did I do a wrong thing? Did I not support the company that made the game? Did I not support the merchant I bought it from? Did I not support that particular "business model"?

Was that particular act of 'consumerism' a bad thing?

We are kind of stuck in an evil circle, the devs complain they cannot make good enough PC games because too many people pirate them, the pirates say the devs cannot make good enough games so they pirate them.

The question I always ask is? if the game is not good enough to play, why do you pirate it in that case? If the game was indeed not good enough, it is not worth your time thus you do not need to pirate it ?

Yes my argument can be broken by, I didn't finish the game I stopped playing it after 20% through. A valid argument. For some AAA games you cannot even find a demo, and if you could find one it covers less than 1% of ( probably the most fun part of the game )

Acctually most of the time I refuse to even try a game which does not have a demo, since I refuse to pirate a game. Kings bounty is an example of a fairly long demo that was great fun, I bought it within minutes after ending the demo.

As for piracy? and because I can,,, yeah if many people can they will! not everyone though, in sweden people were scared as heck the first time a bunch of people was caught, and some even destroyed their hard-drives, but after they noticed none suffered any severé consequence people continued with business as usual, everytime the gouverment or police makes a hit against a pirate website or arrest someone pirating, there is a lot of protesting going on, because a large part of the population is pirating, and they save a lot of money by doing it, so it is near impossible for the gouverment to make laws against it.

After all if a large part of the population stole things, they would not want to vote for a party who wanted to increase the penatly and resources to catch people stealing.

I also know a bunch of people saying, IP should be free, all games should be free for everyone. These people are killing the game industry, and are obviously too stupid to realise the massive cost and effort needed to make a game.

Back
Top Bottom