Remake(s) I'd love to see

Same with Return To Krondor.

My first thought (on page 1) was The Magic Candle. A very underrated game and one of my all-time favorites. However, after more thought, I would definitely have to change my vote to Ultima Underworld. The Magic Candle is still very much playable nowadays, being top down (or isometric or whatever that view would be called) graphics and turnbased gameplay, and UU not aging very well with the (in my opinion) difficult controls and badly aging graphics (3d or pseudo 3d doesn't seem to age very well)

I know what you mean. I've woken up in the middle of the night with Ultima III's The Wanderer in my head too

To this day I still like it more than Stones

That is a very beautiful song, and to me is technically superior to the theme for LotA, but for some reason LotA's theme will always hold a special place in my heart, nostalgia and all I guess. :)

Another game I'd like to see remade is the relatively obscure Genesis game Warriors of the Eternal Sun. I'd like to see it remade with a more fleshed out world and quest. I thought the premise of the game was rather intriguing, and it could have made for a much better story. Also, I'd like to kill its "arcadey" (for lack of a better word) dungeons with fire! :D Also, some of the music in Warriors of the Eternal Sun was composed by a freakin' musical genius.

For proof of that composer's genius, I present to you a song that to this day gives me chills from its sheer beauty:

Last edited:
My first thought (on page 1) was The Magic Candle. A very underrated game and one of my all-time favorites. However, after more thought, I would definitely have to change my vote to Ultima Underworld. The Magic Candle is still very much playable nowadays, being top down (or isometric or whatever that view would be called) graphics and turnbased gameplay, and UU not aging very well with the (in my opinion) difficult controls and badly aging graphics (3d or pseudo 3d doesn't seem to age very well)
I browsed the posts thinking, I don't think I'd like play those games even with imroved UI and better graphics. Typically Gothic 2 with NotR was a huge experience for me but no way it's graphics or UI that block me to finish Gothic 1 or replay fully Gothic 2+NoTR.

But yeah, Ultima Underworld is another beast, I feel the writing is a bit dull and couldn't get interested much in the story or stories, but there's such an amazing level design, links between levels, good hidden stuff and tricks, merge of Combats areas and non Combats areas, use of heights. But the combats controls are just awful and the graphics meh or at least in a lot too low definition for a 3D game.

But this is leading to the question of what is a remake, in that case it would lead rather far because the combat system needs a full change, but for what. System Shock 2 close combat is crap, but ok it could be a base idea for the management of interactive stuff.

Not roleplaying games but these 2 I would like to see remade, or at the very least being able to play again:

1. Heretic 2
2. Cadaver

pibbur who isn't that interested in remakes but who has bought: BG1EE. And BG2EE. And ROA:BOD. And HL Source And U5. And U6. And possibly, even likely, some other games, the titles of which eludes me at the moment.

Space 1889. The premise is interesting, but by the time I got to play it the game was too dated to be playable.

I'd also like to see remakes of the Midwinter games.

And for a comparatively modernish game: Arcanum, this time with an interface and combat that doesnt suck, would be nice.

Darklands!

+1

Oh hell yeah! A Darklands remake could be awesome! I played the hell out of that one as a kid, never beat it though, and it was kind of a bug-addled mess if memory serves. Fun as hell though, way back when.

I even had a (or maybe several?) 1.44 MB floppy disk(s) that had a patch for the game. I honestly don't remember how they hell I got patches back in the days before the proliferation of internet, or how I even knew the patches existed. I think a clerk at the local (and now defunct) Floppy Wizard (thinking back, that name just sounds WRONG, ROTFLOL) store hooked me with up with it or something.

Tried to play Darklands again a couple years back after buying it on GOG, but that interface has not aged well. And I didn't want to run into the "psychedelic colored party members" bug…if you've encountered this yourself, you'll know, LOL.

Didn't get into Captive?

I fail to see how you can accept being alive if you didn't like that game!

I'll think about this thoroughly and come back to you. Definitely. Maybe.

pibbur who until further notice accepts....

There were once a few Blues Brothers jump & run games - now that would be funny ! ;)
For me they were very difficult. That's why I never came past level 2 or 3 in the first of both games.

What I'd also like to see remade is that Roger Rabbit game … Unfortunately I don't really know what it was about since I have never played it …

The game for the Duck Tales series by Disney recently got an remake indeed - but it is steam-bound.

Nethack - rebuilt for the Oculus Rift. Also, please include some Karaoke-style music a la Alternate Reality.

P.S. There is a new Star Control game being made by Stardock.

Last edited:
Chronomaster.

An adventure game released in 1995, with IMNSHO a great story (written by SciFi writer Roger Zelazny, his last work before he died). The adventure took place in a set of pocket universes, with different rules/laws of physics. And many quests could bee solved in different ways.

I loved it. My number 2 favourite adventure game (after the Day of the Tentacle).

Pibbur who likes to think of his den as a pocket universe based on his rules.

Back
Top Bottom