What games are you playing now?

Playing Bioshock on the iPad.

And ... well, it is Bioshock, which means it is a good game. And it performs perfectly, offers 'save anywhere', and everything is about as well done as could possibly be expected.

But - it is a shooter on the iPad ... which goes about as you would expect in terms of controls.

How do they work ? Do you basically have a d-pad on screen or did they try to at least improve it ?

How do they work ? Do you basically have a d-pad on screen or did they try to at least improve it ?

Yeah - dual virtual d-pad for move and look, with hot-'buttons' for weapons, crouch, etc.

I am enjoying it well enough - the controls are passable, and Bioshock isn't really a 'twitch shooter' anyway.

Here is what I am trying to complete now, depending on my mood, when my young son and baby daughter aren't crying:

Might and Magic X: good game, and I am glad this game exists, but in my opinion it is missing the New World Computing sauce. All those little touches like the huge enemy variety, the puzzles, the silly looking monsters, the ambitious dungeons, the gameplay features, the 80s geeky pop culture references, they are simply not quite there. Too much stuff feels generic, such as the art style. I'm sure they did the best under the conditions they had. Also I find it too easy even on hard mode. However this might all be a testament to how great a designer JVC was.

Rime Berta: made a thread about it, pretty cool and quirky indie Japanese SRPG.

The Wolf Among Us: I will probably give up on this. I know nothing about the original comics. I am very impressed by the art style, and by the wacky premise which looks like Vampire The Masquerade with fairytale characters and old film noir gumshoe movies. However the incredulity of such stereotypes and characters from children's tales using coarse language in downtown New York is too much for me, I'm not able to suspend my disbelief.

The Wolf Among Us: I will probably give up on this. I know nothing about the original comics. I am very impressed by the art style, and by the wacky premise which looks like Vampire The Masquerade with fairytale characters and old film noir gumshoe movies. However the incredulity of such stereotypes and characters from children's tales using coarse language in downtown New York is too much for me, I'm not able to suspend my disbelief.
Did you play the walking dead yet ? Seems there is a little hype around these kind of story based games. If I'd try one I think it would be twd.

This probably doesn't count but I just installed original sin, took me 3 days. Estimated play date is November... Plenty of time to choose my characters. Was thinking about going back to my roots, meaning an elven ranger, second character a centurion with a short sword, maybe some leadership abilities, or instead a mage as second. Choices, choices

I'm starting to flag a bit with Baldur's Gate. The city quests just aren't holding my attention, and I've gotten to the lower levels of Durlag's Tower, which are poorly designed and generally unfun. If I can't push myself through this funk, I might have to give up on finishing the game for the first time in well over 10 years.

I was looking through some older games today, and I decided to install Two Worlds. I haven't played it in at least 7 or 8 years and I never did get very far into it. All I can say is "wow"… this game is a lot worse than I remember it.

The animations are terrible, and the amount of texture pop-in, especially with foliage, is extremely distracting. The dialogue is terrible as well, and I'm not just talking about the voice acting.

In fact, I really can't think of a single redeeming quality.

I don't know if it's just aged badly or if it's because of all the time I've recently spent playing the much more polished Risen 3. I think I'll be uninstalling this one pretty quickly though.

Last edited:
It was always pretty bad, but it had a quirky "Diablo-ish" charm in terms of item upgrades and the character development system.

I dipped into Two Worlds again not too long ago and couldn't find any reason to keep playing, either. The first time I played it, it was bad (especially the voice acting!), but still had something that kept me entertained long enough to make it feel worth it. It's not aged well and doesn't really offer enough to make it worth forging ahead with.

I did put a couple more hours into it, and I started to enjoy it a little once I got over the sub-par visuals and animations. I do like how weak your character is at the start. Anything more than a solo young Grom was making short work of me, and I was forced to sneak around most of the enemies in the initial areas. Although I understand it quickly gets a lot easier, I think I could enjoy it for awhile.

It's going to have to wait though because now I've started playing The Last of Us. :)

I enjoyed Two Worlds, and it gets better as you play more. In particular, the loot and combat are well done and even quests are interesting. Alchemy is very well done, and so is the way they handled crafting which is very clever in my view. I think it is a very well done game that don't give good initial impressions due to the poor dialog, which is not that a big deal considering the size and detail of the game.

I did put a couple more hours into it, and I started to enjoy it a little once I got over the sub-par visuals and animations. I do like how weak your character is at the start. Anything more than a solo young Grom was making short work of me, and I was forced to sneak around most of the enemies in the initial areas. Although I understand it quickly gets a lot easier, I think I could enjoy it for awhile.

It's going to have to wait though because now I've started playing The Last of Us. :)

Back when I reviewed it (not here, Corwin did the 'official review) I made note that you start off getting pushed around by kittens and end up one-hit killing elder dragons.

Two Worlds is definitely a game that I enjoyed perhaps (or mayhap?) more than I should have, given the writing and dialogue. At the time I noted I would choose Two Worlds over Oblivion every time - not because it is 'better' but because I enjoyed it more. I found that true when I played some earlier this year ... but I would play Skyrim now (or Risen) rather than either at this point :)

At the time I noted I would choose Two Worlds over Oblivion every time - not because it is 'better' but because I enjoyed it more.

Absolutely agree on this, and therefore agree with reality pump's statement that Two Worlds lies between Gothic 3 and Oblivion. For me, not better than the former but definetly surpasses the latter in enjoyment.

Absolutely agree on this, and therefore agree with reality pump's statement that Two Worlds lies between Gothic 3 and Oblivion. For me, not better than the former but definetly surpasses the latter in enjoyment.

I can definitely see Two Worlds being better than vanilla Oblivion. I wouldn't take it over Oblivion with mods though.

I'm about 3 hours into 'The Last of Us' now, and I'm pretty impressed so far. This is one of the best console exclusives I've played in a long time.

I was looking through some older games today, and I decided to install Two Worlds. I haven't played it in at least 7 or 8 years and I never did get very far into it. All I can say is "wow"… this game is a lot worse than I remember it.

The animations are terrible, and the amount of texture pop-in, especially with foliage, is extremely distracting. The dialogue is terrible as well, and I'm not just talking about the voice acting.

In fact, I really can't think of a single redeeming quality.

I don't know if it's just aged badly or if it's because of all the time I've recently spent playing the much more polished Risen 3. I think I'll be uninstalling this one pretty quickly though.

When I first played it I thought that it was a joke.
Everything was bad. The voice acting made me think of Beyond Divinity.
After an hour or so, I exited the game.
It's not that it aged badly.
It was bad to begin with.

I can definitely see Two Worlds being better than vanilla Oblivion. I wouldn't take it over Oblivion with mods though.

I'm about 3 hours into 'The Last of Us' now, and I'm pretty impressed so far. This is one of the best console exclusives I've played in a long time.

Remastered or PS3?

Remastered or PS3?

PS3. I wasn't willing to spend $450+ just to play the remastered version.

That said, I'm still impressed by the PS3 version from a visual standpoint. I think the developers did an amazing job of squeezing every last bit of processing power out of that system for it to look as good as it does.

I thought the Last of Us was repetitive and not much different from other AAA console games with high production values but at least they put an emphasis on stealth, made resources scarce, and are not afraid to challenge you.

Just started playing the remastered edition of the last of us. This will be the first non sports console game I've played in years so we'll see how it goes.

Only had time to play about 30 min. Pretty powerful opening scene though IMO.

Just started playing the remastered edition of the last of us. This will be the first non sports console game I've played in years so we'll see how it goes.

Only had time to play about 30 min. Pretty powerful opening scene though IMO.

Completely agree about the opening scene. I thought it was one of the best I've experienced.

The rest of the game that I've played so far (I'm about 30% in right now) hasn't quite lived up to the prologue, but it's pretty damn good.

Back
Top Bottom