The Dwarf Run - Review @ Indiehaven

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A rather negative review of The Dwarf Run, can be found at Indiehaven.

If you’ve made it this far, you may be thinking I’m out to get this developer, and want him to fail. But that’s really not the case. I actually admire his ambition – creating an old-fashioned RPG with its own fantasy world is no mean feat. Combining The Lord of the Rings with The X-Files – it could be so good, if it were done right. And that’s why it’s so frustrating to see the kernel of a good idea being suffocated by its own poor implementation.

Alas, this just hasn’t got it right, and I can’t recommend anybody spend good money on it. There are so many better games you could spend your money on. Undertale costs only slightly more, and Downwell is a third of its price. The Dwarf Run is beyond saving, but if the developer goes back to the drawing board, and thinks things through a bit more, he could come back with something great.
Thanks Eye.

More information.

Some mistakes of reviewer

"It took half an hour before I noticed one of the stones was actually a “rock.”"

Looking at items is rudimentary in adventure games. The Rock is described differently than all the other stones. Solution of first puzzle took me 5 seconds, not half an hour.

"I spent an hour wandering through the same underground tunnel, because I hadn’t gone back to speak with a character I’d already seen"

Again, talking to npcs (and exhausting topics) is elementary.

"The characters are insanely inaccurate. Attacks typically have a hit rate of less than 50%"

Basic to-hit-chance is not 50%, it is 75%. It is Hardly "insanely inaccurate".

"but the wait and pass options do virtually the same thing"

No, wait delays your action to the end of turn, while rest recovers fatigue.

"Characters frequently run past enemies without attacking, because the game thought you were clicking on the ground behind them"

When pointing the enemy, there is hit-chance listed. If not, then you are ordering your hero to go instead of attack. Also, there are green circles showing action points spend for walking, indicating walking action.

Review at IndieHaven, but written like it was IGN

Back
Top Bottom