Anything about Civilian Business

I'll hold a speech on this topic: Civilian Business.
But I totally do not have enough information about that, I need help!

Could someone give me some information like which countries are strong at it or some world-famous civilian companies? Or different kinds of "civilian business"?

Thanks so much!!:blush:

I'm sorry, I don't understand: what do you mean by "civilian business?" "Civilian" just means "not military," which means that that would include just about everything except the arms trade. Do you mean "civil engineering" or something like that?

I'm sorry that I'm still weak at describing things in English..:p
What I meant is business which serve for non-governmental sectors, say in an easy way, some sectors producting things for ordinary demos to use...

Ah... can you understand me now?
I'm sorry for my terrible description and thanks so much for your concern!:blush:

I think he means non-government businesses (government does not own them). I guess america is strong in it. Surely there are many companies but many also get aid from government one way or another.

Would walmart qualify? They are very big in america and very successful. They ship lots of stuff from china to america and sell it cheap.

Right, the term you're looking for is "the private sector" as opposed to "the public sector." That's an enormous topic; you'll have to narrow it down to be able to say anything sensible about it.

Most rich countries are pretty good at private sector businesses, and some of the not-so-rich ones are getting better at it fast. Thing is, different countries do it in very different ways -- Japan and South Korea are very different from Germany or France, which are rather different from the USA. You have big, worldwide business like Wal-Mart, Coca-Cola Corporation, or Microsoft, but small business (barbershops, restaurants, caterers, small shopkeepers and so) is just as important, if not more so, for the economy (when you add it up).

Perhaps you could pick a topic related to China, since that's where you're from, and it has some very interesting stuff related to these things going on? For example, the role of foreign private-sector corporations in the Chinese economy?

so much helpful answers for me! Thank you all very much!:blush:
It's not a topic chosen by myself, for me it is a hard task from my teacher... Actually I'm not good at economics` and maybe my teacher just want me to find how the business run for the common people affect our world~ hehe` troublesome in some ways`

I'd say the single greatest difference between businesses that are controlled by governments and businesses that are not is efficiency. Some dispute it, but it's a generally-accepted rule of thumb in the US that government control is synonymous with inefficiency.

Competition is at the heart of capitalism, but some businesses are monopolistic by nature. Utility companies are a good example. No one wants to live where there are several sets of power lines, water pipes, trash trucks, etc. Over here a single company like that will be granted a monopoly, and it will be subject to government control.

Right now two of our Presidential candidates are arguing for government-controlled healthcare, and the opposition is claiming it would produce inefficient healthcare.

If you consider the number of countries who have gov't controlled health care, you'll see that it is MUCH better than what you currently have in the US!! Gov't businesses don't have to be inefficient; it depends how they set up and run. If they have to self fund, then they will be efficient. The main differences I've seen, are that for gov't businesses, the 'bottom line' isn't the main concern!!

Back
Top Bottom