Witcher Anyone ever had their dice get "stuck" before?

The Witcher

elkston

Sentinel
When playing dice poker I encountered a peculiar, somewhat funny problem: One die got stuck on top of another and thus could not fall flat onto the playing board. This confused the game script because it just sat there, waiting for all the die to come to "rest" before letting the turn continue. The only way out of this deadlock was to press ESC and forfeit the match.

Not sure what the best solution to this could be because obviously their script assumes that all the die are going to eventually come to rest on the game board. But things are not so deterministic because the dice fly about in a "random" pattern. They could probably implement some kind of timeout wherein the game is disqualified (just that particular game, not the whole match) if the all the die don't come to rest. In this case everyone re-rolls from the start. That's the only fair way to do it.

I've played a lot of dice poker, and it's never happened to me. In other words, you're describing a very, very rare incident... and as such probably not worth the time to patch, as long as there are things like loading times that could be improved.

I've had dice ending up on each other a couple of times and the game never had any problems with reading the results. I've also had dice fly outside the screen, and no problem there either.

Same thing here. Dices sometimes get stuck or fly out of the board, but the game still read the result in the end. (after the dice find a way to land on a flat face, it move all by it self.)

There was one time it took longer then usual, but the game still found a way to get the result.

I think the difference with mine was that the one die was almost perfectly stacked on top of the other and they formed a straight, balanced column. I did have one case though where one came on top in a crooked manner, but eventually gravity pulled it down and the score got read. Like PrimeJunta said, this was one of those super-rare exceptions. But I gotta believe that somebody ran across it in beta-testing. Definitely very low priority though.

Back
Top Bottom