Shroud of the Avatar - Preview @ MMORPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
MMORPG posted a preview of Shroud of the Avatar based on the Release 11 version.

I am quite literally just back from Austin as I sit down to write this latest update on Shroud of the Avatar. I wasn’t able to make it up for my typical week-before-release hangout with the guys, so today was pretty much a drive by. It’s well worth staying up past my bedtime to hack this article out, though. Despite the brevity of my visit, I got a load of cool information to share with you folks, and I’m excited to do it.

Right… So a triple shot expresso later, and we’re rolling into paragraph number two, but my energy crisis isn’t what you’re here for. You want to know about the things coming up for Release 11, like character advancement and some of the new crafting changes. You probably already know about that stuff, and about the recent news concerning Steam. There’s even cooler stuff in store though, so read on!
More information.

Nice to see Mr British chiming in on the comments section and answering an interesting question.

So its being officially called an mmo now?

So its being officially called an mmo now?

We were promised it could be played as a true single player RPG. I think that faded away pretty quickly.

Another reason why I now refuse to give any money toward Kickstarter or crowdsourcing anything.

We were promised it could be played as a true single player RPG. I think that faded away pretty quickly.

Another reason why I now refuse to give any money toward Kickstarter or crowdsourcing anything.

Oh, they still claim you can play it singleplayer. I doubt it will be a pleasant expreciece, but it's shaping up to be a decent MMO. But I don't play MMO's.

Is there some plausible reason they'd outright lie about being able to play it SP?

Is there some plausible reason they'd outright lie about being able to play it SP?

They're probably not outright lying, and they're undoubtedly believing they are honest, but what they're probably not representing accurately is that the SP will not be very vast or accomplished or that pleasant.

He tried to market the game to both fans of Ultima, and old fans of Ultima Online, but in reality he hired people who are used to making online games. It goes without saying what will happen.

I'm so glad I haven't backed this.

I'm so glad I haven't backed this.

I do regret it and it did sound really suspicious from the start.

"Hey guys I'm a mega multi-millionaire who goes into space on my leisure time but I really can't make it without your money guys!"

They're probably not outright lying, and they're undoubtedly believing they are honest, but what they're probably not representing accurately is that the SP will not be very vast or accomplished or that pleasant.

He tried to market the game to both fans of Ultima, and old fans of Ultima Online, but in reality he hired people who are used to making online games. It goes without saying what will happen.

If you believe you're honest - then you're honest. Lying implies intent.

How could he develop a game that's both singleplayer and online without people who're experienced with online game development?

That makes little sense to me.

Sounds like biased paranoia to me.

I don't regret backing this, and I'm quite certain that, at some point, there will be a viable single player version. If not, the howls from the masses will be deafening, I should think.

That's not true, at least according to the devs....

Well, it depends on what their expectations are vs those of people like us. From what I can see it will probably resemble something like Guild Wars. I'm sure when most people have Ultima in mind they think of Ultima VII, and I'm really not convinced it will have the same qualities that game did.

Remember that in the beginning they wanted to make the game online only even in single player, and only changed it due to outcry.

I am so happy that I didn't invest one cent into this game. Right from the start, it looked like crap...and now that there is no single play element...what is the point in this game

I put the single player issue on their forum and Starr Long replied along the lines of saying that they are pursuing this direction of MMO'ish and player driven trinkets to maintain funding to this project (as it seams that there are plenty of people around wanting to throw their monies on such things).

Another Watch dweller also highlighted this fact, and that the single player development is going ahead in the background.

It is difficult to know what to believe, but we can given them the benefit of the doubt particularly since they clearly indicated the offline, single player element on their kickstarter and Steam Greenlight pages.

I am so happy that I didn't invest one cent into this game. Right from the start, it looked like crap…and now that there is no single play element…what is the point in this game

Just because a person posted that doesn't make it true....hey look sky is falling...

Look I have been a huge fan of the ultima games since 1984. Playing U3 then U2, I played around with U1 but never did very far in it. I even loved U9, bugs and all.

After college in 1991 when I was only slightly dumber, I got the virtues of the avatar tattooed on my lower legs in Japanese characters.

All this being said I lost hope in LB ever making a game I would enjoy years ago. Deep down in my heart I really want this to be a game I could love, like I am sure tons of fans do.

Back
Top Bottom