Dragon Age 3 - First Details @ Kotaku

I played an elf in DA:O and enjoyed it. That said, being locked to one race for the protagonist is hardly a deal-breaker -- Gothic 2, for example, had less up-front player customization than that and it was a simply superb CRPG.

I find it difficult to whip up my Bioware-Hate(tm) for a game coming out in the DA3 time-frame. Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity soothe my parched soul. If by some miracle Bioware spits up something playable I may consider it after I've sucked the marrow out of the stuff I've Kickstarted.

Choosing this engine is equally interesting and dangerous… because it 'gives you this AWESOME view on our big level in FPS style! ofc… you can move ur camera to more tactical view! yeah! it will be useless coz it will be h&s style like DA2 so who cares about planning your battle when you can do it in first person! this is so awesome! like we said in our past interviews -we are loving skyrim so much!'. Maybe it won't be a disaster. ME3's combat mechanics were an improvement after ME2 (it was nice to have more than 4 powers/weapon logic). But a disaster they made with sidequests is a bad phropecy for DA3 (well, to tell the truth the QUESTBAGS in DA:O were crap too). I really hope that Project Eternity of Obsidian will show them that simplifying everything to get wider audience is a bad movement, not only coz of their ambition, but also for fans.

ah… I had to edit.. IF THEY WILL HAVE THE SAME "artistic vision" AS IN ME3.. it will be their last nail to coffin. Never in my gaming experience I was so insulted... but, yeah, ME3 ending is other story :)

I am kinda looking forward to casting a fireball and blowing a building to pieces cuz Frostbite 2.

I guess I'm part of the problem.

Their last chance? DA2 wasn't good….but other then that what? Should we use the same logic with paranah bytes?

Are you asking others what logic you should apply? Only you can answer that.

As for myself, it's the combination of DA2, ME3, SWtOR and to an extent ME2 - coupled with how EA does business and expects to evolve in the future. They've been very open about it - so there's no reason to think they won't do exactly what they say.

They want to provide games as "a service" and that means microtransactions and a massive amount of trivial DLC-like content. You will never know when you're done with a game and how much money you will have to pay to get all meaningful content.

Not something I'll want to support, even if DA3 manages to surprise us.

Games aren't services - nor do I think they're suited for such a model. They're squeezing the life out of the last chance of art in modern AAA games.

You really think we might get an optional first person view?

It worked in Skyrim can't see why not.;) There using the frostbite engine and it's designed for it.

As for myself, it's the combination of DA2, ME3, SWtOR and to an extent ME2 - coupled with how EA does business and expects to evolve in the future. They've been very open about it - so there's no reason to think they won't do exactly what they say.

They want to provide games as "a service" and that means microtransactions and a massive amount of trivial DLC-like content. You will never know when you're done with a game and how much money you will have to pay to get all meaningful content.

Not something I'll want to support, even if DA3 manages to surprise us.

Games aren't services - nor do I think they're suited for such a model. They're squeezing the life out of the last chance of art in modern AAA games.

For that comment I just might forgive you for your obsidian blasphemy.:p

Bioware, still that engine of curiosity. Big demand for any developpment of their games...

I thought DA2 was fun for a while, but then got boring. Really, what I don't much like about the franchise is the back story, and how it is pounded into your ears at every turn. Mages, vs. the chantry, whatever they call orcs (darkspawn?). Just not interesting and instead of feeling like you're playing in the world it's like the world is revolving around you and is constantly being EXPLAINED to you. Screaming EPIC EARTH SHATTERING EVENTS doesn't make me care.

No enthusiasm for DA3. Might change my mind, but bah.

Given that the game is being designed by focus group, I imagine the decision to make the protagonist human is because there wasn't much player love for elf/dwarf PCs in DA:O. Bioware makes games for the median gamer.

I like to call BioWare games (the recents ones) as design-by-numbers games.

There's no darkspawn this time, right? That at least is good :) But like many I'm on the wall about this - we'll have to see what happens as details ooze out. And try to factor out the Hype Machine (TM) - wonder what new phrase they'll coin this time?

So, people are now against Bioware for listening to its fans? And giving them (most of) what they wanted? The ability to customize their character and customize their followers have been asked by players and fans since DA2 nearly did away with all this.

Against them....yup. Bioware totally let me down with their last two so-called games, and that trust will have to be EARNED back. One thing I've learned thanks to Bioware is that, even if they do give you something, it's limited or controlled in some way. We can jaw about it all we want, but only a finished product will determine what you get from Bioware now, that's how badly they've eroded their own trust.

-Carn

There's no darkspawn this time, right? That at least is good :) But like many I'm on the wall about this - we'll have to see what happens as details ooze out. And try to factor out the Hype Machine (TM) - wonder what new phrase they'll coin this time?

You know like me that their will be darkspawns. One of the companions is a warden too.

So, people are now against Bioware for listening to its fans? And giving them (most of) what they wanted? The ability to customize their character and customize their followers have been asked by players and fans since DA2 nearly did away with all this.

I think it's a little early to determine how much Bioware is actually giving us. Also, how excited should we be that we're simply getting back some of what was already present in the original game?

Like JDR mentioned, we don't know what we are getting yet - and honestly after the whole ME3 fiasco, I don't know if it's worth wait at all.

They should have realised earlier that they've really disappointed fans long enough and it's really a bit too late to make some ex-Bioware fans like me excited anymore. They'd really have to pull this off well to get me back.

So many games out there, why settle for some inevitably streamlined junk? I honestly feel more excited to replay Icewind Dale or BG than I do for replaying even DA:O, let alone DAII.

Anyway, I'll definitely be waiting for some (reputable) reviews on DAIII. And I certainly won't pre-order.

No, we're reacting to what they've been feeding us for a long time now. Making PR-based promises about a game early in development isn't exactly evidence that they understand what they've done wrong.

Back
Top Bottom