Guild 2 is... what?

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Came on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/game/the_guild_2#s_0

With one expansion DLC sold separate.

Now I do remember skipping it before for whatever reason, and two other expansions are not available on GOG (venice, renaissance), but seen on those few screenshots that a character has some RPGlike attributes like charisma - what's the catch there?

Did anyone play any of those games? I mean, what are those about exactly?

Its an rts game with the ability to zoom in real close. More strategic vs RPG.
I played it briefly but got quite bored with it eventually. Maybe some other people had better experiences but it just didn't click with me

I've searched a bit for some details and it seems buying those two on GOG is not advisable.

On Nordic forum they say the last standalone expansion (renaissance) contains actually everything from previous releases and is the least buggy one - so one should buy only that game, not others:
http://forum.nordicgames.at/showthread.php?170282-Is-this-game-worth-buying

On GOG forum a certain player gave a link to renaissance mod that among things corrects some bugs that were left unpatched:
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_guild_series/where_are_guild_2_community_patches
http://forum.runeforge-games.net/index.php/topic,1438.0.html

As I can't stand unpatched games and the only polished one is not available on GOG (yet) I'll skip buying these two released.

Renaissance is available on Steam, GG and GMG. 10€ everywhere.
The one on GG seems to be DRMfree so if someone says it's fun, I'll buy it there.

I quite liked the series even if I am not a fan of strategy genre except for a few turn based, basicaly you chose a character and develop skills,perks which affects the game and wear items, like charisma I think is for getting better relations where political part of game gives you various advantages, most notable one is the bigger income of gold from your new office.

I understand that the premise of this game is to screw someone in alot of manners, so that your dynasty can grow, yes there are some mechanics of romance to get heir otherwise if you die game over.

There as I recall are no campaign missions which I guess the game was designed to play with someone, and while it might be interesting to learn the game mechanics and how to screw someone, vs AI becomes boring.

I also like that if someone choses illegal way to get way more gold, you can hire spies and inform the city authority and even start a valid prosecution against him, using your wits to present convincing evidences and also bribe.

The game is about different Guilds related to that historical time. I tried the gg versions.

And if you play multiplayer hundreds of bugs starts to appear, which is a big shame and they seem to appear when you play it, where the single player seems to be stable for the majority of time.

Last edited:
What you're describing is something I've never seen before. Those features look very unique and if are done well could make a very interesting game. And fun!

Yet it's not a new game. How come it's not a wellknown title? I rarely saw it mentioned. It appeared on some sales, but didn't know what was it about so I just skipped it.

"Die Gilde" is one example of German "economy/business simulations", with additional stufff added onto it.

There are quite a lot of games focusing on economy - trading, especially - like "Der Patrizier" and the Anno series.

We call this "Economy/Business Simulations", in German "Wirtschaftssimulationen", shortened to WiSims (plural form).

This kind of games seems to be unique to Germany, since I don't know any other games of this kind coming from other countries (except SimCity, maybe).

The Guild 2 seems to have had several variants published by JoWood.
This seems to be the Wikipedia article on the original game (the series has always been called "Die Gilde" in Germany) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_1400
The Gereman-language Wikipedia entry is more detailed, and it lists the variants : https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gilde

Alrik, but he says your task is to screw up the opponent with your wits, not just spam 37465374562834 combat units and then nail his base.
I can't say Anno games work like that, besides you can't have constitution, intellignece, strength and charisma in any Anno.

The Guild 2 is a pretty unique game. The wealth of options it gives to you is amazing. Unfortunately, it's one of the buggiest games I've ever played. And the worst thing is micromanagement. In the version I played there didn't seem to be a way of automatising routes and the game quickly became boring because of that. For a low price it might still be worth buying just to try some cool ideas regarding for example the votings.

Alrik, but he says your task is to screw up the opponent with your wits, not just spam 37465374562834 combat units and then nail his base.
I can't say Anno games work like that, besides you can't have constitution, intellignece, strength and charisma in any Anno.

Well, I must admit that I haven't played it, but I do know that it has some "RPG elements" included. Guild 1 was probably even more economy-oriented.

And yes, you defeat opponents with wits - by doing certain deeds. This is the part that contains "adventure game elements".

But - as far as I know - the besis of these games has always been economy and business.

As far as I remember the discussions back in the day, the first The Guild was actually the masterpiece which was incredibly buggy for some and pure gold and a completely unique experience for others.

The Guild came with a deep sand box approach, special humour and tons of unseen ideas. From what I recalled (last played a game three years ago or something), the gold version was stable enough in SP.

The Guild 2 suffered from doing things bigger, it overdid many things, trying to magnify what made the peculiarity of the guild simply by enlarging the scope.

Better to start with the guilt first.

The same ones who forced Gothic3 out prematurely.
JoWooD Entertainment.

I actually still prefer the first game. I can't even describe why. It just had a certain.. charm, that the 2nd one didn't have. It could be different for someone playing Guild 2 prior to Guild 1 of course.

The same ones who forced Gothic3 out prematurely.
JoWooD Entertainment.
There was a huge public fallout between jowood and the studio. The lead dev was even banned from the JoWooD forums.

How is that even possible?
I remember trolling on JoWood forums myself ages ago dunno over what exactly, but I was very angry and didn't pretend something is okay but posted exactly what made me furious in some game(s). Just like here, over and over again, imagine coming on JoWood forum and constantly "remind" them on something like bugs/phonegames/pay2win/othermoderndecadence.
But they still didn't ban me.

Now I'm very interested in the whole thing, not just a game. Will google for more details.

I did not play the Guild on release so hard to tell about that bug feast reputation.

Playing from the gold version though, the reputation is hard to understand.

Back
Top Bottom