Bottom 10 CRPGs Of All Time

Thank you. I've checked it out and played SoE for a bit but I dont think I like it. Might sell it on ebay :p

have you checked out the crafting? even if you don't like the game (which I can understand) you owe it to yourself to really play around with it with as many compnents as you can collect. I had wanted to implement something that deep in NWN after playing with it.

Hey guys and gals,

First post here, love the site. Been a die-hard CRPG'er for about 20 years. Love polls and discussions like this. This is the one site where I think there are some true die-hard CRPGer's to chat with.

Anywho...worst ten games I have ever completed. (Notice I said completed. I can never start a RPG without finishing it. Now, I use cheats or hacks sometimes on the terrible ones, just to get through sometimes, but man, talk about getting teeth pulled. These were ATROCIOUS.)

1. Dungeon Lords- Empty, barren landscape. Terrible animations. Broken design. AWFUL voice acting. No music other than the title screen. BAD!

2. Gorasul- Terrible translation, way too easy, shallow, bad design, awful graphics, crap story.

3. Ultima IX- Kills me to say this. To this day I still try to make myself like this game. I liked the graphics and music, but....awful voice acting, linear game-play, cheesy design, empty world. Just bad.

4. Darkstone - Random dungeons...no RANDOM QUESTS. Yuck. Hated the design, the story was awful, technically awful.

5. Summoner - I know some people like this game, but I hated it. It felt too console for me. The combat stunk, the art direction I did not like, and the game was good at making me feel like I was chasing a carrot on a stick. It just felt shallow.

6. Thunderscape - Disgusting visually. I hated the game design once again. Felt rushed and thrown together.

7. Bard's Tale (remake version) - What is this? A game for my 9 year old daughter? That's fine, but HOW DARE YOU place the Bard's Tale name on it. The game was a direct port, and was a joke. Easy, uneventful game. Boring. Killed the spirit of the original series.

8. Gods Land of Infinity - Well, I list this game ONLY because they did sell it on retail shelves. If this game was not sold in stores, I would give it the "indie nod" and let it slide. But, this was trash. Linear as can be. Worst voice acting since Ultima IX. No indoor locations? Crappy console combat.

9. Daemonsgate - This import was supposed to be the next Ultima. Wrong. Bugs, awful design, cheesy graphics, terrible performance.

10. Deathlord - Oh my gosh this was YUCK. I hated the setting first off. Bushido Ultima anyone? Game had no heart, poor implementation.

Hmm....think that is it. Runners up include: Hillsfar, Realms of Darkness (C64), Two Worlds, and Fountain of Dreams.

Summoner was an interesting game which I enjoyed. Gods had plenty of flaws, but wasn't too bad, though I LIKE TB combat. The Bards Tale remake was a deliberate send up of the genre, but it did have a lot of flaws too. I wrote reviews of those games back at the Dot!! I'd completely forgotten about Thunderscape; definitely an underwhelming game, but at least it was playable!!

Oh, welcome to the forums!! :)

Diablo. just wasn't my cup of tea..

Deus ex 2 must be the most dissapointing game I've ever played.

Dungeon lords...thank heavens I tried the demo before wasting any money, its just plain bad. Avoid

I wasn't aware there was a Bard's Tale remake unless you are talking about the new one that has nothing to do with the original game. Or do you mean Devil Whiskey?

6. Thunderscape - Disgusting visually. I hated the game design once again. Felt rushed and thrown together.
Vhoa! I actually forgot about that one. I really, really liked it, though.

..and welcome to the forums!

Dungeon Lords - I disliked it so much I wanted to break the discs. Literally. But I didn't want to clean up the filth so I just threw them away. First game I've ever thrown away and I have kept some BAD ones. I tend to horde my games.

Lionheart - For obvious reasons.

That's all that I can think of at the moment.

• Dungeon Lords - I was actually looking forward to this one and, in the end, it is less of an RPG than DOOM III.
  • TES: Oblivion - "You cannot go any further" or WTF ever that message was. Gah, I could write paragraphs of hatred drenched rant about this game. It looked pretty, woo-hoo, cause that's what matters.
  • Ultima IX: Ascension - Like Malifax, I keep trying but it isn't going to happen. Ever.
  • TES: Morrowind - Ahh, the paradox. Also on my list of favorite games. So free yet so devoid of life. So many possibilities yet so many things bearing too much resemblance to one another. A paradox for me.
  • Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - Boring. I could live with bugs but there is simply nothing here of interest to me.

I enjoyed the jokes in the new Bard's tale, but combat was awful, the engine did suck, and I'm not sure I'd classify the game as an RPG in the first place:p

- Entomorph - I'm actually surprised anyone remembers it. I never got far than the first or second fight.

I played it all the way through, I'm surprised people dislike it so much, I thought it was great. Totally unique IP, interesting gameplay, certainly no bugs game breaking enough for me to remember, all in all a good laugh.

I'd follow nominations like Gorasul, NWN 1 & 2 OC and Lionheart though.

Mallifax wrote:
4. Darkstone - Random dungeons...no RANDOM QUESTS. Yuck. Hated the design, the story was awful, technically awful.
The design was...pretty grim. Everyone had extremely pointed feet and the female avatars stomped around with the grace of Godzilla. :) If you judge it by action rpg standards though, it wasn't as bad as many--I mostly liked it for the band playing in the town square, from which you could get a live video by throwing a few coins. The second half was wa-ay too hard though. Strangely enough, my grandsons love this game.

I played it all the way through, I'm surprised people dislike it so much, I thought it was great. Totally unique IP, interesting gameplay, certainly no bugs game breaking enough for me to remember, all in all a good laugh.

I'd follow nominations like Gorasul, NWN 1 & 2 OC and Lionheart though.

Ya, as I said I also heard some good things about it. But my experience was all negative for the time I played. The settin didn't click with me at all, the enemies were repetitive, the presentation uninspired.

Magerette wrote
grandsons
Gee. Somehow I had you booked among the younger crowd... :)

Gee. Somehow I had you booked among the younger crowd... :)

I suffer from a bad case of arrested development. :)

@gg: only Corwin is from the beginning of time. CM & I are more modern introductions.

@gg: only Corwin is from the beginning of time.
I guess that means they didn't have history back when he was in school. Nice.

...and he's still deaf from the Big Bang.

Nah, there was no Big Bang, but I did try telling Adam, " Don't eat that apple", but would he listen to me? No, he listened to a woman instead (could have been Cm ) and the history of mankind went downhill from there!! :)

So many candidates. The biggest disappointment for me is NWN2. The sheer amount of quality modules available for NWN1 redeemed any shortcomings in the OC in my mind. NWN2 really got to me by Act 3 with the endless cutscenes where your tactical positioning s went by the wayside, your PC would be warped into the middle of a mob. I hate it when a game tries to play you instead of you playing the game. The "cinematic experience" is fine when renting a movie, but that`s not what I buy games for.Cutscenes are cheaper than actually scripting something interesting I guess. The KOTOR games had a lot of this, but I forgave them because they weren`t so over-whelming as NWN2. Game play.......not watching someone`s vanity in making a cheap version of a movie and spamming half the game with it. The Witcher got it right, the cut-scenes moved the story nicely without over-whelming game play.

Back
Top Bottom