Wasteland 2 - First Screenshot

Looks a fair bit like Krater.

Not bad for a first shot right now. It has a ways to go. :)

I don't think they should change a thing… The art style is fine, and is much better than most of us expected. My fear is they'll think it's not good enough and end up wasting their whole budget on improving the graphics while sacrificing the old-school gameplay.

Last edited:
Disappointing, what is up with all the cartoonish-style graphics trend in rpgs lately, first the divine divinity sequel, now this. I vastly prefer the realism look in the graphics style, hopefully this is in no way representative of the final product.

real is brown? :)

I thought it was okay. Not sure I understand a flag being on a gas station, but just because there aren't any on the gas stations in America today, doesn't mean that the flag wasn't moved sometime in the past.

I live in the southwest. Off the top of my head, I can think of two gas stations in my town that have huge flagpoles with huge flags, flying them proudly 24 hours a day and properly lighting them at night.

The only place I can remember flags waving on businesses is in military areas like San Diego, etc. I'm not knocking it, it's just not common in St. Louis. Lots of flags, but not on BP, Mobil, etc. I'm much more curious about the graffiti. Hope some of it means something.

Hopefully they keep the vibrant colorful style and don't give in to the "need more brown" crowd. Generic-looking games such as Fallout 3 and a zillion other tiresomely "gritty" RPGs (which seems to be the norm these days, contrary to some very puzzling assertions made earlier in this thread) made abundantly clear just how little good that will do. In either case, more realism would constitute a significant deviation from the Wasteland franchise.

Looks a fair bit like Krater.

Not bad for a first shot right now. It has a ways to go. :)

I am thinking the same. Hence why i asked them if they could add a filter that darkens and "gritifys" the colour scheme. I hated krater for some reason.

If they go with realistic graphics $3M will pay for a 1 hour game, including 20 minutes of cinematics.

Brooooown.

It looks like shit - literally.

Last edited:
Brooooown.

It looks like shit - literally.

As I mentioned before, I live in the desert, and guess what? It kind of does look like shit. :p

Lots.of.browns, lots.of.lighter.earth tones. Maybe looks more like baby shit. :p

Fallout: New Vegas, I thought, actually did a pretty decent.job of capturing.the feel of.the.desert.

Last edited:
Yes, there are Joshua trees and plenty of them if you're in the right spot. They are interesting. I like them, too. Lots of saguaro cacti (the iconic cactus that kind of looks like a stick figure) and whatnot.

There's actually plenty of life in the desert; it's just…a different kind. It's smaller....more squat....harsher and more brutal. When I first got here, driving through the desert in my car, I felt like I had landed on the surface of the moon. Lots of people truly fall in love with the desert. I'm just not sure I'm one of them… :p

Edit: And you're right. The desert isn't so brown, though there's some of that in parts. It's much more oranges and pinks and tans. it can be quite beautiful in spots. It also can feel quite bland and desolate and uninviting...and even punishing...in others.

I don't like it. I'll echo everything that's been said, too orange, too saturated, too cartoony. Also, is it just me, or do the people look too skinny? It's like they don't have any mass to them.

It is not the art style I was expecting and IMO not representative of the gritty and violent world the original Wasteland represented.

I think it looks like they are off to a great start. It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Wow. All this angst and/or joy over a preliminary screen shot.
Nobody expected a screenshot this early, if they didn't want people to analyze it and give feedback they wouldn't have released it and no one would have cared.

Back
Top Bottom