What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

My wife and I watched Philomena while the boys were away for a few days marching band trip to Washington DC. Wonderful movie, great actors ... OK, now THIS is my fave of the Oscar movies we've seen ...

Want to treat yourself with a nice good animated movie for a change?
Timeout made a list of 100 best ones:
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-100-best-animated-movies-80-71

As usual when it comes to lists, this one also meets the taste of probably just one man on the planet. But if you ignore the numbers, the list is almost perfect!
Yes it does have some mediocre entries (Coraline for example, not saying it's not good, but definetly is not the best). Also it does have spin-offs you should never watch unless seeing the TV series (Neon Genesis Evangelion - you'll be totally confused with the movie if you watch it as a standalone piece). Oh and overrated crap is also unavoidable (Princess Mononoke for example).

But I was utterly happy finally seeing the article that contains usually ignored stuff on such lists like Ghost in the Shell (both of them!), Lord of the Rings (if you ever wanted to see an animated masterpiece, if you don't believe Jackson massacred the book, please watch this) and Animal Farm (I admit the source book is even more shocking, but it does the earthquake in this form too).

So check the list, pick a title randomly and go watch it. Chance of picking "not really the best" one is nearly impossible.

When The Wind Blows & Watership Down, ohhh boy, they'll tear you apart, lumps in throat all round!

"Fantastic Mr. Fox" is totally unknown here in Germany. I don't even remember having seen DVDs of it in the shops here.

But on the other hand, most movies from that list are mostly unknown here, either. especially the Japanese movies.. Only real Anime fans know them.

Yellow Submarine is a movie I think anyone should have seen at least once in the life - as a teenager, or as a late kid (because the Bluemeanies are a bit … well, mean … I found them horrible as a young kid).

Don't worry if you can't find them in stores, Netflix will probably soon be available everywhere.
Their recent job advert. states "Research and architecture of large scale peer to peer network technology as applicable to Netflix streaming."
http://jobs.netflix.com/jobs.php?id=NFX00928

Yes, seems Netflix has a plan to go torrenting! Automatically it means everything available everythere, the only thing left to settle is taxes and industry whatnots like royalties. And if Netflix is on it, you bet everyone else will follow it sooner or later.

Just finished watching Lars von Triers Nymphomaniac. It had some good moral points, about sexual deviancy, but I found it way too gratuitous. It was like it was done for shock value. I had absolutely no emotional response for the protagonist.

And my god, the ending was just ridiculous and just plain deviant for the sake of being deviant.
First, it was the 3+5 penetrations-theme from the beginning which just felt ridiculous. I found it strange that they made an effort to mention it in the start of the movie, but him (von Trier) having the need to repeat it in the end as some sort of cyclical-theme was just fucking stupid. And then he had the only like-able character turn also a deviant just for gratuitous reasons imo.

Overall, it felt very gratuitous in its display of sexual deviancy. I liked Steve McQueen's Shame a lot more. I felt it was a lot more tastefully and maturely done.

Lars von Trier is rather someone - as far as I understood him and his comentators - who rather tries to irritate and provocate. That's why I don't take his movies quite seriously, since they seem to me to be meant to be rather "over the top", so to say.

RoboCop 2014

I expected nothing - and I got very little. As such, it was better than expected. I really liked the first half of the movie where they had some interesting ideas - and the actors are all pretty good, even the main protagonist.

I won't spoil anything except to say that the last half, and especially the ending, was a big letdown for me - and it didn't have to be. It was clearly rushed and half-assed - as is very typical for these big productions.

But, I don't regret watching it - which is saying something for me.

5/10

I just watch the film A Late Quartet with Christoper Walken and the now (sadly :( ) late Philip Seymour Hoffman. As always, on Bluray. It is a very quiet movie about a - ehm - classical musical quartet. One of its members get sick, and we follow what happens in the days up to the quartet's 25th year anniversary. A fine ensemble movie. My grade: watch it. If nothing else, then for the fine version of Beethavens Opus 131. My grade in numbers 9/10.

I've finally gotten around to seeing 127 hours. A good movie. It really makes you wonder if you would've been in his place, would you do the same to get out. I guess at that point survival instincts kick in and you no longer care about the consequences as you as you get out alive. But I wonder, if panic and fright could stop you from doing what he did, and just slowly die there. To, sort of, paralyze to inaction. Anyway, really amazing experience.

Since this thread is about movies I will place this here. Seems someone has decided to make Blade Runner 2, and offered Harrison Ford his role again.

Link- http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/321…-runner-2-role
Alcon Entertainmant have issued a press release stating that an offer is out to Harrison Ford to reprise his role of Rick Deckard in the Ridley Scott-directed sequel to "Blade Runner".

Hampton Fancher and Michael Green are penning the script which takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

Alcon CEOs Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson say: "We believe that Hampton Fancher and Michael Green have crafted with Ridley Scott an extraordinary sequel to one of the greatest films of all time. We would be honored, and we are hopeful, that Harrison will be part of our project."

Scott had previously said the film would take place too far after the original for Ford's character to be involved.
This could be either a good thing, or another terrible sequel.:brood:

Also Like Dart I just watched the new Robocop movie. I went in excepting it to be garbage, and was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying the movie.

Though I still enjoy the original Trilogy better as I grew up watching those movies.

I would have been slightly excited by Blade Runner 2 - if Prometheus didn't exist.

Also, while Blade Runner was a visual masterpiece almost without equal - the actual story was middling. Sure, the philosophical implication was very interesting, but that was old when the movie was new.

Unless they do something NEW with that idea, it'll be yet another redundant but pretty Scott film.

Who's ready for some Godzilla!!!!!! Getting good reviews and I am about to go see it. Comic books, computer games and Godzilla was my youth :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zha42gCoAy8

Greatest song of all time :) used it in my AD&D campaign a few weeks ago.

No thank you, I'll wait for Pacific Rim 2 or Gwoemul 2. :)

Who's ready for some Godzilla!!!!!! Getting good reviews and I am about to go see it. Comic books, computer games and Godzilla was my youth :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zha42gCoAy8

Greatest song of all time :) used it in my AD&D campaign a few weeks ago.

I remember JDR posting the first trailer link, and me having a cynical 'heavy sugh & eye roll' response before watching ... but it looks possibly quite good!

Back
Top Bottom