Nuclear Union - Preview @ Just Press Start

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Just Press Start brings us a new preview of Nuclear Union. The article even links to an audio interview with Game Producer Denis Maltsev.

I DID find it a bit jarring that the world felt lived IN, but didn’t feel quite ALIVE yet, if that makes sense. There were lots of folks going about their lives, but they couldn’t be interacted with yet, making the bustling compound I was exploring feel more desolate than it was. I know that NPCs have to be added, quests need to be fleshed out, and so on, and I’m confident the team will be fleshing things out considerably as development continues. It must be said that the characters I DID meet were more realistic than many NPCs I’ve dealt with in other games, with a true sense of purpose and definite agendas. Have I mentioned yet that I was really digging this game?

Nuclear Union is impressive right out of the gate. However, I do have major concerns about the localization. I know Denis Maltsev and company are trying to tell a particular story from the former Soviet point of view, but it still needs to be accessible and engaging to non history buffs in the west in order to be successful here. A great translation (such as the kind Carpe Fulgur provides for Easy Game Station titles like Recettear) along with some solid voice acting will go a long way here. In any case, I’m really looking forward to seeing the finished product in Q2 2014, and you should be as well.
More information.

This game may be of a good quality, but it is becoming increasingly harder to see it as anything other than a piece of nationalist propaganda. The main hero of the game, is a guy who personally dropped a nuclear bomb on a US city, killing potentially millions of innocent civilians. Of course, wouldn't you know it, Alaska is now a part of the U.S.S.R. and reclaiming Alaska is an old trope of the ultra nationalist right wing in Russian politics. The game may be fun in its own right, but it seems like there is a fairly obvious political agenda on the part of the developers, as to the world-setting and storyline.

Fallout series has quite a bit of politics in it as well. However, that's quite a good thing about it. The sad thing about Nuclear Union is that we have to wait another year for it.... Russian Fallout is something that I'm looking forward to it!

Fallout series has quite a bit of politics in it as well. However, that's quite a good thing about it. The sad thing about Nuclear Union is that we have to wait another year for it…. Russian Fallout is something that I'm looking forward to it!

To be fair, Fallout does not particularly portray the American government as heroic or good - far from it - in contrast to other nations. Its remnants are also the series' most persistent and unsympathetic villains.

is becoming increasingly harder to see it as anything other than a piece of nationalist propaganda.
And that's probably the reason I'll buy it instantly.
Finally something different from mainstream.

To be fair, Fallout does not particularly portray the American government as heroic or good - far from it - in contrast to other nations. Its remnants are also the series' most persistent and unsympathetic villains.
Fallout had an option to kill the president of USA. Okay, it was not the real president, but still. And I kinda miss things like that in games. To hell with political corectness!

Back
Top Bottom