BioWare - Drew Karpyshyn Interview @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Drew Karpyshyn left BioWare way back in February but since our interest stems from his work with them, I'm going to file it under "BioWare".
Eurogamer caught up with Drew to discuss a number of BioWare-related topics, including his thoughts on the ending of Mass Effect 3, although he doesn't really take a position:
BioWare once intended Mass Effect 3 to end differently than it did. One possible ending concerned the spread of Dark Energy - a force used for mass effect fields and biotic powers. It goes that Reapers were created to stop the spread of Dark Energy, which would ultimately destroy everything. That's why Reapers, every 50,000 years or so, processed (turned into a Reaper) an entire species - to slow the spread of Dark Energy. The Human Reaper was to be the last throw of the dice for the Reapers. The ending of Mass Effect 3 would be you deciding whether to sacrifice the entire human race, and create a Human Reaper, or take your chances that humanity could come up with another alternative.
That ending, Drew Karpyshyn came up with. It was one of several, apparently.
In response to that being aired, Drew Karpyshyn wrote a lengthy blog post on his website. "Yes, we had a plan, but it was very vague. We knew we wanted to focus on some key themes and bring in certain key elements: organics vs synthetics; the Reapers; the Mass Relays. Beyond that, we didn't go into detail because we knew it would change radically as the game continued to evolve," he explained.
More information.

Quite strange that I never read that blog explaining Cerberus previously. We had a rather lengthy debate going on regarding Cerberus and its evolution. That blog post would've settled it, but I suppose it might've been written after we had stopped discussing.

Also, I find it a bit odd that he hasn't taken the time to play ME3 yet. It's a 25-30 hour game, made by a lot of people that are no doubt close friends of his, in a universe he himself created. He's that busy? Sounds odd. Ah well.

DAMMIT. THE DARK ENERGY IS KILLING THE UNIVERSE... Let's leave artefacts that spread dark energy around the universe just in case some race evolves to the point that they find a solution that we, almost omnipotent super-machines that have been thinking about the solution for million of years, haven't managed to find. I'm sure that the fact that this course of action will speed up the end of the universe is no biggie.

DAMMIT. THE DARK ENERGY IS KILLING THE UNIVERSE… Let's leave artefacts that spread dark energy around the universe just in case some race evolves to the point that they find a solution that we, almost omnipotent super-machines that have been thinking about the solution for million of years, haven't managed to find. I'm sure that the fact that this course of action will speed up the end of the universe is no biggie.

Sounds better than a god child who eradicates entire galaxy's. Hell anything sounds better than what Bioware went with.

It was surely a marketing action of EA - to Japanesse market... they like creepy children ><

Back
Top Bottom