Please help me to decide what to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delirious Nomad

Watcher
I'm having a free weekend and want to dedicate it to hardcore role playing gaming. I have started 3 games (under 1 hour in):

Final Fantasy IX
Kingdom Hearts II
Disgaea 2

Please help me decide picking one.

Of those three I'd go with Kingdom Hearts, but Disgaea is also supposed to be quite good. I'm not a console guy so I don't know for certain.

If you're dedicated to hardcore gaming, how come you aren't using a PC? Consoles are for kiddies!! :) (apologies to all the console gamers here, but heck, the truth often hurts!! :biggrin: )

No kidding! It's like he just said-

"I want to dedicate this evening to some hardcore cooking. Should I choose Top Ramen, Stouffers, or Chef Boyardee?"

Perhaps, but the alliteration worked so much better than consoles are for tweenies!! :)

I guess to further belabor the point, it is a parochial view to dismiss consoles as inherently intellectually inferior to PC's - the focus of the games is often more social, but there are some truly great games for consoles and just calling them 'kiddie' or 'tweenie' indicates a lack of knowledge on that subject.

Who said I don't use/ have a PC ? You're right that 90% of console games are for 'kiddies', but I don't care for the platform, when the game is fun to me. Especially the PS2 lets you play a ton of gameplay heavy, turn based (S)RPGs (you don't get much more hardcore than Nippon Ichi titles), while PC RPG releases are becoming more and more action-orientated ( or kiddie-orientated ?). I can take the action, when the RPG environment is rich, like Vampire:Bloodlines. Right now I don't have a new PC RPG to play, because Oblivion, Gothic 3 and NWN2 are no fun to me, but I'm having 3 unplayed games for the PS2 sitting on my shelf, so...

Delirious Nomad, yeah they are getting harsh in here. :)
While I am no fan of consoles and I don't really know the titles, is there one that stands out as more fun to you after the first hour of each?
I mean what are you happiest with, atm? :)

Delirious Nomad, don't mind Corwin... he's a man on a mission (wonder how much the industry is paying him for this). *shrugs* Old people get strange sometimes :p...

That aside, I haven't played or seen Disgaea 2, but I'd also recommend KH 2; FF IX was one of the - IMO - weaker parts of the series.

Um, don't want to get *too* off topic, but I don't think you should jump on Corwin's "consoles are for kiddies" comment too harshly. He kind of has a point: in general PC gaming does tend to attract a more mature/hardcore audience. Case in point: where are the console equivalents of Planescape:Torment, Balder's Gate, Wizardry 8, Civilization, innumerable strategy/war games, etc.?

I don't care for the platform, when the game is fun to me
Same here :). Personally, I prefer certain platforms for certain genres: consoles for platformers, sports games and fighting games, the PC for adventure games, puzzles and shooters. For all other genres (including CRPGs) I actually don't mind which platform they are on. And platform bashing is something I can't stand at all, just like game bashing.

mogwins said:
where are the console equivalents of Planescape:Torment, Balder's Gate, Wizardry 8, Civilization, innumerable strategy/war games, etc.?
For me, in no particular order: Metal Marines, Final Fantasy VII, Civilization, KotOR, C&C and innumerable others. I found Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance to be just as... um... average as the PC games of the same franchise, however - just not my cup of tea at all (though I played them, at least that), but hey, whatever floats peoples boats.

Mike already said it: different platforms may attract different groups of users, but there are great games for all platforms, if you care to look for them. And you'll find just as many stinkers :).

EDIT: There is no equivalent for P: ST on any console I know of. But there's no equivalent for it on PC, either ;).

Last edited:
And what might that Corwin's mission be ? Becoming the grandmaster of generalisations and unasked speach ?
Thanks for the few trying to help. The weekend is here and i gave Disgaea 2 my time because I do really need some laughs now.
So if you don't insist on discussing PC vs. console gaming, you can let this thread die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom