RPGWatch Feature - The Whole Game in My Hand #12

There's Atlus' The Dark Spire coming out in March for the DS also, but not for us Europeans.
Thanks for mentioning this one! I just googled it, and it looks like it could be a ton of fun.

It's definitely toward the top of my "eagerly awaiting" list now.

Yeah, and for the delay Squeenix is giving us a soundtrack!

Do not dump this column. Even if you abbreviate it to what ever length, it is the perfect column. I luv luv luv it. Great job and keep em coming, what ever you decide to do.

Is anyone here playing (or finished playing) Izuna 2? I'm enough of a roguelike newb that I'm having trouble figuring out some aspects, and I haven't found a great walkthrough online. But if this isn't a good site for that kind of discussion and there's nobody but me here playing it, I didn't want to start a lonely thread in the general area.

Thanks for mentioning this one! I just googled it, and it looks like it could be a ton of fun.

It's definitely toward the top of my "eagerly awaiting" list now.

Yeah the lino print art style is neat looking; reminds me of Mike Mignola's Hell Boy stuff. Of course, you can play full-on spectrum mode if you want.

Is anyone here playing (or finished playing) Izuna 2? I'm enough of a roguelike newb that I'm having trouble figuring out some aspects, and I haven't found a great walkthrough online. But if this isn't a good site for that kind of discussion and there's nobody but me here playing it, I didn't want to start a lonely thread in the general area.

Have you tried Gamefaqs? There is a partial walkthrough there. I played when it first came out, but it has now been months and I don't recall much specific ...

It's not so much the bare stats and stuff as me trying to figure out how burning talismans off works and what it's good for. I feel like I should be doing it, but I'm not sure how to do it and, you know, not bone myself.

I never did much with burning off and feel the same way - it just felt like losing stuff to me so I didn't do it. I would regularly attach talismans to weapons and send them to storage just to keep them, and also burn them in to weapons, but it is always a sad thing to work hard on a weapon and then lose it in a dungeon ...

The list is missing Retrogame Challenge, which includes a ~20h RPG named Guadia Quest. It has just been released in the US, anyone from Europe can get it from here.

Last edited:
That just came out, I'm getting it soon, but I'm not sure that 'Retro Arcade' is a RPG.

Gamespot have a Hands-On with The Dark Spire.

There are *so many* DS RPG's coming in the first half it is just insane ... haven't finished Fire Emblem and am already inundated with PQ:Galactrix, Blue Dragon and Legend of Y's ... and that is just THIS week!

Gamespot have a Hands-On with The Dark Spire.
Thanks for the notice on this.

The preview didn't have much to say, as it was very limited. But some information is better than no information, I suppose.

It's still very high up on my list. I'm trying to finish up The Quest on my iPhone (playing as a Derth mage this time; ran it as an undead warrior on my old Pocket PC), and Star Ocean IV on the 360 before it comes out.

I was doing well with The Quest until I started playing the mindless blaster 'iDracula' ... loads of fun!

I've been loving the new Fire Emblem, though there was a particular change from the GBA versions that's given me trouble. I'd gotten really used to the ability to suspend instantly by just powering off the GBA. That doesn't work any more, you have to explicitly select "Suspend" from the menu or else you lose everything back to the chapter start. I lost an hour of play time due to that change. Then I lost another half hour session because my DS ran low on power and shut off on me (btw, this game seems to drain my battery a lot faster than Etrian Odyssey, though maybe I'm just not noticing how long my play sessions are). I wasn't expecting to use the map save points at all, but have gotten in the habit of using them just to protect against inadvertent save game losses.

I never realized you could auto-suspend in the GBA games, I thought you had to complete teh areas ... oh well, I guess my lack of manual reading has been revealed ;) I too, really loved this, wanted to replay some but lost the game to my kids already ...

Just a note to say that after spending so long admiring your portable RPG column, I've finally bought a DS. Your informative pieces have had me *this* close to buying one for a long time now.

Over the last few days I've been looking over old "Game in my Hand" entries, and then a thread on the Codex about Dark Spire tipped me over the edge. Cheers!

Yep - Dark Spire is quite cool. There were a couple posts here as well.

I'm working on it ... but by the time I'm done it will be a half-year coverage ...

Back
Top Bottom