Beyond Divinity

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
You are a servant of the Divine - scourge of necromancers and sorcerers alike. Your purpose in life is to fight all that is evil using any means possible. Your dilemma… during an intense battle with one of the great necromancers, a demon drags you into its universe. There you are soul-forged with a Death-knight. You are cursed and destined to spend the rest of eternity bonded to this creature of evil.
Or maybe not...
The Death-knight dislikes the soul forging as much as you do and together you embark on a great adventure. You both have a common goal - to undo the soul forging. You and your unlikely companion quickly figure out that the only way to rid this curse is if you unlock the secret of riftrunning – an ancient art that allowed the prison universe’s indigenous population to travel between universes.
Your quest is set: To become a Riftrunner!
More information.

Cripes. The scenario sure hits "close to home." This is the very first time I've ever played RPGs. I hope the old timers here are patient with me till I get my "rhythm."

I loved Beyond Divinity so if you got any questions just fire away. Also Myrthos and a few others made a great strategy guide for the game. You can get it here.

I loved Beyond Divinity so if you got any questions just fire away. Also Myrthos and a few others made a great strategy guide for the game. You can get it here.

First time I've ever seen the words "loved" and "Beyond Divinity" in the same sentence. :)

Did you like it as much as Divine Divinity? Most people seem to think BD wasn't nearly as good as DD. I've only played the demo, and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another chance.

First time I've ever seen the words "loved" and "Beyond Divinity" in the same sentence. :)

Did you like it as much as Divine Divinity? Most people seem to think BD wasn't nearly as good as DD. I've only played the demo, and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another chance.

My sentiments exactly! I liked DD so I actually bought BD but never got pass the starting bit.

Does BD improves later on?

The biggest difference is that the world is not as open. It's a series of smaller disconnected areas. Also the controls were a bit wonky. Something else bugged me, but I can't remember. Yet, I did like it, played it to completion with zeal, though not as much as DD.

I never got why people didn't like it. Sure it's not as open as DD was, but it wasn't half bad either. I loved the character customization, which from what I understand was another gripe that people had against it.

Now did I like it as much as DD?.......yes and no. As Thrasher mentioned the world is not as open, which is ok with me. On the other hand the character skills were a lot better. Some will disagree with me, a lot probably, but I loved how I could mix and match the different skills/spells.

My only real gripe is that the death knight made a better magic user than a tank. You couldn't give him any armor and his armor levels didn't keep up with the monsters.

I'm sure there are more positive and negative things to be said, but it's been quite awhile since I played and can't remember everything that I liked about it. I do remember that it was a lot of fun and if you like DD you will probably like BD as well. Probably being the keyword in that sentence ;)

It was far too harsh, too demonic and too bloody for my taste.
But as a fan, I played it through.

I still haven't played through this game, even though I've had it since release. Divine Divinity is one of my favorite games but what really put me off when I started playing BD was the horrible voice acting.

I'll probably take it up again soon as it has been on my mind for a while. I don't expect it to be as good as DD but at least I hope it could be a good game.

(anyone else miss imp runner?)

Yes, I do miss the Imp Runner.

I have it somewhere, still, burned on my disc, ans as Macromedia Director files (downloadable from somewhere as a package), too.

Regarding BD - the first voice of the Death Knight was sounding very cynically, and the "community" demanded it'd be replaced by a more "demonic" or more "aggressive" voice.

When Larian did so (they exchanged the voice recording completely !) the "community" soon said it was going on their nerves now, because the Death Knight was sounding aggressive *all of the time*.

Lesson learned for Larian : No matter what you do, some will nag about it.

I haven't played this game yet but it's one (of many) on my to do list someday.

Where does this fit in the Divinity Saga? Is it a sidequel?

Is it a sidequel?

Very good word !

Yes, I'd call it so.

It tells a story that isn't unimportant - but not a "must-read" or so either.

I did not play Beyond Divinity, but I remember Divine Divinity demo... and that it was not something I really enjoyed at that time. I bought the game years later and loved it though.

Yeah there is no doubt that this game is one of my favorite games and i am playing this game since first version of this game had revealed and continually i am trying new versions as it comes and i feel joy to play this game.

Is this any good? I loved DD but tried the BD demo year ago and I didn't give it much of a chance. Really disliked it. If I recall all the dungeons are "generated".... is there variety in the game?

Most of the areas are not generated. It has battleground areas that are but aren't necessary to play IIRC. It's fun, you get to control 2 characters, but the areas are less open. I'd give it a try again.

Most of the areas are not generated. It has battleground areas that are but aren't necessary to play IIRC. It's fun, you get to control 2 characters, but the areas are less open. I'd give it a try again.

I'll have to give it a try, after all GreenManGaming gave it free to everyone back in summer.
I have it downloaded but remembered that I didn't like the demo way back then, maybe it's time to fire it up.

Back
Top Bottom