What's this ? A Dragon Age movie ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Yes, it is a Dragon Age movie. It's made by an anime company and I believe they made or are making a Mass Effect one as well.

The storyline seems to be pretty directly linked to everything we know about DA3. It probably takes place somewhere between DA2 and DA3.

I've heard about it before and IIRC last time I've read what fans said about it was - do not under any circumstances watch that (crap). :)

Unlike HALO and ME "cartoons" which are supposedly made okay. Means, those two should be at least watchable.

Didn't watch myself any of those so can't say all of this is true.

Watched it Im guilty. The movie was produced by Funimation. It's about a character called Cassandra. She was the seeker interrogating Varric.

The ME3 anime was also released. It follows James Vega before ME3.

Maybe it sux maybe it doesn't. The trailer shows they put in a real solid effort so I'll watch it.

The movie was produced by Funimation.
Funimation Entertainment did an awsome job with Fullmetal Alchemist dubbing (english), both original and reboot - but that's about all I know about that company. :)
The original source product in that case comes from Square Enix, it was not produced by Funimation, so perhaps it shouldn't be used as guarantee of an overall good work.

And trailers in many cases tend to be misleading, too spoilerish or show only a few scenes worth watching as a bait. In better cases trailers contain a side-story or something that could be used as an intro to a movie, for example Prometheus trailer.

It's a movie about Cassandra set after Hawkes story (the ending is referenced), but before the interrogation of Varric (2-3 years span). She get the Book at the end of the movie. It's basically a backstory and what make her tick.

The movie is good if you want to see the inter politics of the Chantry and what Orlais might looks likes. English VA isn't bad, although they didn't take the same actress for Cassandra so the strange German/Franch accent isn't always present. The rest is pure Japanese anime (aka doesn't make much sense...all the stuff is about what Cassandra is). Aka Cassandra is a badass.

Oh and I wish I could kill dragons the way she does it. I suspect her skill is going to be toned down in DA3 *sigh*.

I managed to last about 15 minutes into it. If you're in the 'liked DA2' camp, this should be worth a look at. If you're in the 'liked DA:O, hated DA2' camp, then this film is yet more lore rape, cringeworthy kiddie trite. It's not written by Gaider and Co, if that matters.

The rest is pure Japanese anime (aka doesn't make much sense…
Can I get some details on this thought?
I mean… Things in japanese anime, if translated correctly, and of course if it's a good anime and not just hyperproduction cashgrab crap, makes sense on not just one level. :)

Can I get some details on this thought?
I mean… Things in japanese anime, if translated correctly, and of course if it's a good anime and not just hyperproduction cashgrab crap, makes sense on not just one level. :)

See bold section ;) + the main villain isn't a good one (not motivation mentioned) + , like Gaxkang said, the lore is torn apart in some places (easier to ignore for most of it).

If they had keep it to the Chantry internal politics it would have been great though; but they wanted lots of dragons, golems, ogres and a crazy blood-mage around. In other word, the script could have been better.

Also, the Japanese title is Dragon Age: Blood Mage no Seisen (aka Blood Mage Crusade). Maybe the translation isn't that great.

Okay then. In anime I've mentioned that was dubbed by Funimation there is a rule:
Toka Koka.
It's translated as "equal value exchange".
I'll follow the rule and for DA movie I'm not giving a cent. :D

I saw an advertisement poster in the public in the city yesterday, albeit under a bridge.
Besides, in that city, EA has its German headquarters.

Public adds? The movie was released about 6 months ago, direct to DVD (except in Japan, but it was made for that country as a promo for the release of DA2 over there).

Seemingly we're speaking of different countries.

Back
Top Bottom