Diablo 3 - David Brevik Comments, part 2 - Interview @ Eurogamer

aries100

SasqWatch
Eurogamer has interviewed key developer for Diablo 1 and 2 ,David Brevik, about Diablo 3 on the same subject we told you about a couple of days ago. Here's a quote about the story:
What advancements?
David Brevik: Some of the story stuff they did was much better than we'd ever done story before, and in that way it created a very different experience. Being able to be able to teleport to the other players and allow people to group up in a much easier fashion, those were some of the things that stood out to me as being much better than we had done before.
What do you feel fell short?
David Brevik: The skill system was very different than what we ever designed before. It played more like a load-out system from a shooter, which was a very different approach than we had ever even contemplated. I don't know if that necessarily works super well. Being able to change your build at any given time on the fly was a little bit too generous. So it fell down a little bit there. There are other specific things, especially with the items and your main weapon powering a lot of your skills that were choices I would have not made.
More information.

diablo 1 story imba !, the more vague the better.

I greatly preferred the stories in both D1 and D2 to D3. Strange how Brevik and Max Schaefer both like D3's method. D3 was so forceful and heavy-handed. D1 and D2 let you explore and learn the story as you played. D1 and D2 went with the Half-Life method of show me, don't tell me.

Then there's the actual story content. I never get tired of D2's story, NPCs, cinematics, and locations. D3's story is so cartoonish and forced, it becomes irksome. Once through was more than enough for me. Now I can't hit space bar quick enough... Anyway...I know most of us feel the same as I do I believe.

Back
Top Bottom