Dark Souls - First Impressions

I recently started playing it. I think it's really hard game. One of the best Action RPG I've ever played.

Finally got my xBox controller. I hadn't counted on just how bad I was going to SUCK at using this thing!! All my veteran skills completely stripped away. I'm like a babe in the woods... This is going to take a while.

Well, keep at it. ;)

Getting over the learning curve feels pretty rewarding in itself, although the true reward is becoming comfortable enough to explore the great level design without feeling the need to tiptoe around and rush to the next bonfire :D

And on that note, my only non spoiler tip would be to explore thoroughly, especially dead-end seeming spaces for hidden passages.

Imagine my surprise when I reached the final Boss at around hour 60 and level 99. That just couldn't be right! So (as I was in no way ready to give up on the game yet) I went back to a certain trap filled fortress and discovered a boatload of goodies I missed in the first time I rushed through it. And also to a certain swampy area and discovered that I somehow missed a whole chunk and a couple of areas worth of content :-/ I sure did stuff on a crazy out of order way this playthrough…Now on around hour 70 I am prepared to wrap this up finally, but I am already planing my next three replays or so :)

I think I'll do a sort of cleric/mage/pyromancer/warrior sort for my next one (probably in a few months from now, definitely after Deus X DC at any rate), that ought to be grueling :)
Then I 'll probably try NG+ with my Warrior of sunlight knight and the tbd guy at least once (not 100% sure)…

And there is also DSII to look forward too, lots of dying in my future :lol:

Last edited:
Finally got my xBox controller. I hadn't counted on just how bad I was going to SUCK at using this thing!! All my veteran skills completely stripped away. I'm like a babe in the woods… This is going to take a while.

Personally, I would have went with a PS3 style controller. I've never felt comfortable with Xbox gamepads, and I hate where the analog sticks are positioned in relation to each other.

@JonNik- I'm impressed. Not bad for someone who was lukewarm about the game just a few weeks ago. :)

Heh, trust me I was surprised myself at how quickly I was turned around myself by this game!

I would go as far to say that although the recent monitor and speaker purchases were planned, I originally scheduled them for a few months down the road but I did them now so I could improve my enjoyment of the game (*)…

It just hit me in all the right spots I guess (Exploration/Atmosphere/Combat) and harkened very favorably to a very old school gaming feel that I missed the last few years it seems.

I just had a very big problem overcoming not being allowed to save/retreading parts initially. Its more than a pet peeve for me. I guess I have an issue with sort term repetition (and being annoyed by it has actually put me into trouble at RL at times). Notice that if I put some time between it though (and the finer details of the experience dim a bit) I can replay favorites a boatload of times :) Notice also that cheating a bit (backing up my save on Sen's Fortress and before Quelaag) Helped me a bit to overcome my annoyance at those bits and realize that I can enjoy the game as is, surprisingly! ;) I didn't feel the need to do this again after coming to terms with the game design there. I still don't favor it though but I am definitely not going to make an issue about it again…

All in all if #2 manages to capture me the same way I'll have another developer to add to my hall of fame (as I was hoping to do with CDPR although the W2 was just shy of getting there… Still holding out hope for The Witcher 3 to blow me away of course :) )

(* My crappy z506 Logitechs in particular were constantly overdriven by the game… The Sub most of all. On the upside I finally got speakers decent enough to listen to music on :) )

Last edited:
Finally got my xBox controller. I hadn't counted on just how bad I was going to SUCK at using this thing!! All my veteran skills completely stripped away. I'm like a babe in the woods… This is going to take a while.

Nice! Just ordered this for X360 myself, actually, and can't wait to get started on it. Once I get tired of Far Cry 3, that is. :p

EDIT: Just read through the entire thread, which made me even more anxious to start. Do share your impressions, ToddMcF2002.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom