IGN - The Big RPGs of 2012

I think a lot of people here would enjoy The Secret World actually.

And where are the PC single-player non-online RPGs ?
There's not much left of them.

It's obvious that IGN thinks that R in RPG means "respawning". More respawning a game has, better the score it gets on IGN. Bah.

They forgot to mention Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and FIFA 2013.

Nice list of marketing you have there IGN. To bad for you that beside GW2 and Neverwinter* none of those titles interest me. Also, you might want to check the calendar, we are almost in June...

*I grew up reading Forgotten Realms novels and played almost all the games in the setting. I have to at least try it.

And where are the PC single-player non-online RPGs ?

They are made by Indie studios now and if it's not made by somebody who can pay to have adds time, IGN is not really going to talks about it.

Well when the mainstream fails us there is always indies! Let's see Age of Decadence, wait no, that's 2013, at earliest. Um, Frayed Knights 2, oh no, Jay not this year. Uh, Wasteland 2? Nope, 2013. Shadowrun? 2013.

Yeah, I got nothing.

I kid, I kid. There are still a few coming that I'm looking forward too, like Drox Operatives. I also think Legend of Eisenwald is supposed to drop this year. There is going to be Jeff Vogels annual thing, but that'll be mac, (pc version next year.)

I too have a huge inventory of unplayed games and not yet purchased (ROA, Risen 2 and Game of Thrones ). So the draught doesn't bother me. However, what scares me is some marketing type saying the RPG market is dead during this period, thus extending the draught even further.

Never again will I lend any credence to an IGN re iew of an RPG.

Seriously? Three fourths of the list looks great — if you're a 10-year-old.

I'm looking forward to checking Otherland (F2P MMO coming this year I think), if only because I read the books a year or so ago and it's the best book series I've read since like 1992

Disappointing, the only one of those that interests me even slightly is Neverwinter, and that's because I enjoyed the previous ones, not sure how it'll work out as an MMO…

Daniel.

Or distinguish itself enough from DDO. As a real MMO they've alienated a big group wanting a true sequel to the 2002 product.

Sure they will have the Forge tool but the graphics look lousy.

Additionally, it seems like they are betting on lockboxes to generate revenue which is not only having a backlash from players but may be rendered illegal in the near future.

I have better list:

Path of exile (mid 2012)
King's bounty warriors of north(spring 2012)
Borderlands 2(september 2012)
Xenonauts(Q3 2012 maybe not exactly PRG but they put pokemon and mario ffs)
Torchligh 2(I don''t know release date but it's not far away)

Last edited:
This is one of the main reasons I actually more excited about those Not-So Big RPG Titles...more Indie RPG. More PC oriented and No No Hell No MMO

There indeed was once an "Mario RPG" long ago - I learned that via the magazine called "Retro Gamer".

Now I feel old. Doesn't even seem like that long ago to me when I was playing and loving that game. On hell of an RPG.

Or distinguish itself enough from DDO. As a real MMO they've alienated a big group wanting a true sequel to the 2002 product.

Sure they will have the Forge tool but the graphics look lousy.

Additionally, it seems like they are betting on lockboxes to generate revenue which is not only having a backlash from players but may be rendered illegal in the near future.

What do you mean by lockboxes? You find items in the game that you have to buy keys from their online store to open? Kinda like crate drops in TF2?

Yeah hasn't been a great year so far. 38 studious going down has sucked. Risen 2 turning out average was a let down. Like legends of grimrock though...would really like to see a deeper version of that style of play. Diablo 3 has got my play time lately as well as a slew of ipad 2 rpg's(silversword is great if any of you like the old bards tale games)

I think kickstarter has given me some hope, since I have founded just about every rpg that goes on there...right now malevolence has me a bit excited.

Torchlight 2 is the closest I think of any game getting released that I have some interest in. As well as starbound, but I'm not really counting starbound as an rpg.

LoG and the updated Avernum have been the best games for me so far in '12. I was hoping for KotC 2 this year, but I'm thinking that's probably still a year or 2 away. FK was good also, and I totally dread what DA3 might look like /shiver.

-Carn

I will second the recommendation for Persona 4. Yes, it won't appeal to everybody, and it *is* very much a jRPG... but it twists the tropes pretty well. But I have no plans on getting the Vita - I'll just play the old version on the PS2 and wait for Persona 5, I guess. But I've frequently said that while it's not an indie game (though it was a low-budget studio prior to Persona 3), Persona 3 and 4 represented to me the kind of creativity that indies should be applying to the genre.

Anyway - my personal list of PC RPGs I'm looking forward to this year:

I don't have Risen 2 or Diablo 3, but those are high on my list for picking up *soon* (after a business trip to Europe is concluded, and some editor work for a certain indie RPG is done).

Sword & Sorcery Underworld: Gold. I've played a bit of the alpha of it, and while it plays a lot like the original, it's really like comparing a prototype to a finished product. Very nice game.

Torchlight 2

Drox Operative

Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition (That's supposed to be this summer, right?)

The Banner Saga

The Secret World (yes, I'm interested in that one... a little less so in Neverwinter).

So with 7 months left in the year, that's 8 games on my list (including two recently released) to check out. That's more than I'll have time to play... and my backlog keeps getting longer...

Sadly I can't make the claim of never playing a Pokemon game.

But it's got turn based combat, leveling up, damage types and resistances, both random and scripted encounters, parties, inventory, and more. It's definitely a RPG, it's just one that is geared more for a much younger crowd.

When I was 10, I was playing Wizardry 1 and Phantasie. I probably would have loved Pokemon then. Today, not so much.

Is it really considered a JRPG? I always thought it looked more like a tournament style fighter with turn-based combat.

I'm proud to say that I've never played a Pokemon game.

Back
Top Bottom