Promising news DA to have 120+ hrs of game play

I trust my instincts, and my instincts tell me that the majority of gamers here on the Watch will get through DA in 60 hours or less. Just the main story, mind you, and not the OCD extras - but the average time for a relatively thorough playthrough.

Who's taking bets? :)

Well, my dwarven berserker will plow through the game as well as Morrigan in less than 50 hours (5 hours of cut scenes included), on HARD.
That´s what my instincts tell me :).
I´m planning to play as violently and immaturely as possible through this cliché ridden copypasta with PR from hell!!!11

Well, at least if I decide to pick it up, which I´m still not sure about.

I HAVE thought about it. Maybe I'll do it. *ponders*

doitdoitdoitdoit

I think it is a grand idea ... and even with all of the games I finish (yeah, I almost never add to the other thread) there are loads I *don't * finish. For example - we were talking about Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I mentioned sloppy aiming and compared to tighter MoHAA and JDR said that RtCW aged much better ... so natch I had to reinstall both. I played MoHAA for a while which confirmed what he said, but RtCW I'll end up finishing.

Hehe, good to see that there are many "Can't finish a game type of gamers." :p

I have a huge back log of games that I haven't even started... But I will some day!!! :p
Nowadays, I mostly collect games to support the devs, and imagine myself playing a game from reading what others write about it.... :'( (and sometimes, I get discouraged from playing a game from what I read, which is really a shame, since negative things tend to get posted a lot more often than positive things...)

But I promised myself that when DA comes out, I am just going to turn off my internet... But then again... There are quite a few good cRPGs that I am looking forward to that are coming out around that period of time... Sigh... Why can't games come out in summer seasons... I am sure that whatever sales that would be lost due to people enjoying the outdoors (yea...) would be made up by sales to people that have nothing else to play...

I probably should as well, but it's a long time betweenevery time I finish a game (I play too much MMO's and I like to explore everywhere, and I have too many games). What I realy would like is a "Last game you started, tell us about it" thread.

I use the What Games are you Playing Now thread for that.

Interesting.

Ray Muzyka also said it takes 140 hours or more to finish NWN1, if you try to do everything /(that you see on the rails).

"RM: The overall scope of Neverwinter is probably the most challenging aspect of [developing] the game--there is just so much content there, and so many features. All told, we have put about 160 man-years of development work into the game. Playing the single-player game through from start to finish takes about 140 hours or more if you try to do everything (that's how long it took me, in any event). The four pillars of the game--single-player, multiplayer, the module creation toolset, and the dungeon master tools--all represent significant challenges in their own right."

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinternights/news.html?sid=2870463&mode=previews

Who knows, if he says it took him 140 hours to complete NWN1 and 120 to finish DA perhaps we can expect he'll say it takes about 260 hours to explore all the planets in Mass Effect 2. Why not? If you're going to make things up - make it spectacular!
Or is it a decline of vivid imagination - 140 -> 120 -> 100? Hm, can't decide.

Well, what a surprise. Tan has something negative to say about DA or someone working on DA.

Dude, everytime I read one of your posts it's ALWAYS in a DA thread. I don't believe you have ever posted anything anywhere else.

Did Bioware kill your cat or something? Seriously, wtf is up with this obsession? It's not healthy. At least say something bad about Alpha Protocol or Borderlands or Diablo 3 or hell I don't care, just spread the hate around a little bit. You know mix it up. Hate something else for a week then come back and hate DA again.

BTW, I can easily see someone taking 140 hours in that game if you did everything.

Well, even if we do that math, say that NWN took me ~80 hours or so each time through the OC, then DA should be ~70. Works for me. :)

I trust my instincts, and my instincts tell me that the majority of gamers here on the Watch will get through DA in 60 hours or less. Just the main story, mind you, and not the OCD extras - but the average time for a relatively thorough playthrough.
You're probably right, though I suspect it might be a bit longer than that for most -- my last playthrough was 75 hours, but I'm hardly a completist and there's plenty of side content that one could get wrapped up in if they wish (reading the Codex entries alone could add on a chunk of time to that, if one is so inclined).

Ray was just saying how long it took him to get through the game; I don't think he was even suggesting that other people would take as long... it's pretty hard to estimate playtime, after all, as that's subject to one's play style. Some people are undoubtedly going to breeze through it much, much faster.

EDIT: If you'd like a comparison for how fast another game took me to play normally, my first playthrough of Mass Effect was just under 30 hours IIRC. I only know that because of the timer on the save games, however.

Ok, this game is going to take a looooonnnnnng time for me. If what you say is true with tons of codex entries(I have to read those. For a good game it's makes the world seem more alive) and a 75 hour playthrough for someone who isn't as anal as I am. Then this could easily take a month to pass. If I don't get bored. That'll only happen if my guys get too powerful, which I don't think will happen with this game.

Man, this is kinda awesome. I haven't had so many great games released at the same time in quite a long time. Actually, I don't think this has ever happened. At most it's been one or two really good rpg/rpg hybrid games released at the same time. I'm going to be jumping from DA to Alpha Protocol to Divinity 2 to Venetica and that's not counting the games I'm still playing like KOTC, blood bowl and Heroes of M&M 5.

I'm never going to get any sleep this fall.

You realise it will take the reviewers at the Watch several months to finish and review this game!! :) Either that, or we turn into zombies from lack of sleep!!!! Wonder whether this or Risen will arrive in my mailbox first.

Man, this is kinda awesome. I haven't had so many great games released at the same time in quite a long time. Actually, I don't think this has ever happened. At most it's been one or two really good rpg/rpg hybrid games released at the same time. I'm going to be jumping from DA to Alpha Protocol to Divinity 2 to Venetica and that's not counting the games I'm still playing like KOTC, blood bowl and Heroes of M&M 5.

I'm never going to get any sleep this fall.

But PC gaming is dead. Hadn't you heard?

You're probably right, though I suspect it might be a bit longer than that for most -- my last playthrough was 75 hours, but I'm hardly a completist and there's plenty of side content that one could get wrapped up in if they wish (reading the Codex entries alone could add on a chunk of time to that, if one is so inclined).

Ray was just saying how long it took him to get through the game; I don't think he was even suggesting that other people would take as long... it's pretty hard to estimate playtime, after all, as that's subject to one's play style. Some people are undoubtedly going to breeze through it much, much faster.

EDIT: If you'd like a comparison for how fast another game took me to play normally, my first playthrough of Mass Effect was just under 30 hours IIRC. I only know that because of the timer on the save games, however.

75 hours sounds great :)

I tend to complete most games significantly faster than what seems the norm, but then I'm only a completionist during the beginning stages.

Incidentally, I think my first playthrough of ME took me the same amount of time as you - but a few hours of that time is likely due to it being the Xbox 360 version, and I tend to die more and have more issues with UI/controls than when I'm playing on the PC.

But I DID complete all the side-missions I came across - though that was probably not all of them. It was the OCD effect, because frankly - I found most of them hollow and samey.

If Dragon Age has 75 hours with similar quality, and an interesting loot/character system (which was the biggest failing of ME - imo) - then that's really terrific value for money.

I still don't think it'll take me that long, because basically no games ever take me that long - but even at 50-60 hours, I consider the game more than long enough.

I don't think any traditional singleplayer CRPG can hold up - for me, personally - for 75 hours, so it'd be a first.

Note that I'm talking about vanilla games, not games with expansions and what not (like BG2).

You realise it will take the reviewers at the Watch several months to finish and review this game!! :) Either that, or we turn into zombies from lack of sleep!!!! Wonder whether this or Risen will arrive in my mailbox first.

I forgot about Risen. That makes another I'll be playing as well. This has got to be the best year for RPGs.

So which one are you going to review first? Maybe the one that comes in the mail first :)

But PC gaming is dead. Hadn't you heard?

The next article I read about that I'm going to find out who wrote it and go all Mad Max on their butt. They'll be getting the Gulag. ;)

I'm going to be jumping from DA to Alpha Protocol to Divinity 2 to Venetica and that's not counting the games I'm still playing like KOTC, blood bowl and Heroes of M&M 5.

Not me. I like to play just one game at a time, until it's either finished, or I decide it's not worth finishing. If I jump around too much then I usually end up not completing games...

I think it is really hard to measure gameplay time, like morrowind for some it takes 10 minutes for others it take 1000 hours to complete.

I think for a game designer/tester/lead programmer it could take very very long to playthrough simple because you have to try everything possible ( no I do not mean side quests etc ) but like pickup item there drop it there, talk to character X talk to character Y talk to character X again etc etc. Thus giving us the inflated gameplay hours. I tend to be tester/designer/programmer all in one for several games I have been working on,, and it really takes very long to go through becase of trying everything.

Also about dialogue, I tend to skip / boring unintressing etc ones when I play other peoples games.. so that makes a big difference in time also...

I forgot about Risen. That makes another I'll be playing as well. This has got to be the best year for RPGs.

So which one are you going to review first? Maybe the one that comes in the mail first :)

I don't care about the Gothic and Diablo style games, and yet I also will have my plate full starting a month from now: Dragon Age, KB: Armored Princess, Disciples 3 without counting any MMO I might be playing (like, Champions Online and D&DO)... oh my

Back
Top Bottom