Torment: Tides of Numenera - Preview @ PCGamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGamer has a new short preview for Torment: Tides of Numener.

In Numenera, you play a unique being who feels no pain but has the power to redistribute the suffering of others. This concept – ‘torment’, if you will – will be one of the major factors in linking the game’s combat with its dialogue system. Interestingly, inXile are letting tone and narrative lead game design. “The D&D licensed games were very much tabletop first, and the computer game’s job was to translate that experience,” says producer Kevin Saunders. “Here we’re able to have the computer experience come first.”

Pain might be a central theme, but inXile don’t want the experience to be punishing. It’s important to the developers that we feel ‘listened-to’ by the game, and rewarded for paying attention by the responsiveness of the world to our actions. Rather than negative endings, then, consequence is more about responding in a way the player feels is right.

“We want to make sure that every ending is thematically appropriate for the choices the player has made throughout the game,” McComb says. “We’re not going to be like ‘now it’s time for you to be stretched out on the rack! Here come the thumb-screws!’ It’s going to be about the choices you make. How much are you willing to take on, and what will you shove off onto other people. What kind of person does that make you?”

Talking to inXile, there’s an evident (and refreshing) respect for the intelligence of their audience. “They would be disappointed if we didn’t challenge them intellectually,” Saunders says. That’s not a sentiment you hear very often in gaming. In the case of Numenera, it’s backed up by a 4.2 million dollar mandate from the fans.
More information.

Did they ever say whether it was going to be turnbased or RTWP? This is the kind of detail I would have liked in the Kickstarter.

Did they ever say whether it was going to be turnbased or RTWP? This is the kind of detail I would have liked in the Kickstarter.

IIRC during the kickstarter they said they wanted to have backers' feedback on this before they make the decision. I haven't followed any TToN updates in a while so I don't know if it's resolved yet.

IIRC during the kickstarter they said they wanted to have backers' feedback on this before they make the decision. I haven't followed any TToN updates in a while so I don't know if it's resolved yet.

It's not. Because of the way our production cycles are structured, there's no rush, and we'd rather take our time and create good pitches to explain our models for a fair poll for backers' feedback. So basically, no rush.

Back
Top Bottom