RPGWatch - Rain of Reflections Short Q&A

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
We had the chance to interview Lionbite Games to get more information on their new Cyberpunk RPG game Rain of Reflections. Here is a sample of the interview below.

Couchpotato: You just announced Rain of Reflections this week so can you share a few details about the game, and what makes the game stand out from other RPG games?

Lionbite Games: It’s just that. Rain of Reflections will be a comparatively shorter, more intense experience where every choice counts and every step leads somewhere new. I love the way video games as a medium can grip you and sweep you away, the escapism of it and how a really gripping atmosphere can make you want to immerse yourself in the game’s world. This is a very important and central part of Rain of Reflections, but at the same time, you will never be worn out by repetitive grinding or repetition in any way.

This philosophy is reflected in the game’s battle system, which will be genuinely unique and made possible through something we internally call the “M3 morale meter”. The struggles are constructed around battle morale, and there are lots of ways to outsmart your enemy without directly resorting to lethal violence. This makes it possible for us to tell the story even during battles using dialogue, distractions and ruse tactics as weapons.
I will have more interviews next month as we have a preview to share next.
smiley-smile.gif

More information.

Game sounds interesting. They have some unique ideas. Color me interested.

Another great interview Couch. Nice work.

Looking forward to hearing more about this one.

Another great interview Couch. Nice work.

Looking forward to hearing more about this one.
Thanks Dean I tried to get more information from the developer, but was told it will be announced later on. On the plus side I did find out the game might be crowd-funded.

They didn't answer your question regarding the DRM though I suppose they will just use steam.

"…Lionbite Games is a truly independent…"

"…tell the story even during battles using dialogue, distractions and ruse tactics as weapons…"

"…I would love to tell you more about the battle system and how it works practically, but we’re saving this reveal for a later date…"

From this I conclude they will use kickstater and not investor/publisher
thus their budget will be relatively small.
this will force them to use top-down perspective and the combat will most likely be turn-based to suppert the idea bolded above (similarly to T:ToN) but he didn't want to reveal anything about the combat so it is possible they have no idea what they want to do.

Lionbite Games: I would love to tell you more about the battle system and how it works practically, but we’re saving this reveal for a later date..!

Damn it, why do developers do this? I mean, I kinda get why AAA developers reveal info about their games slowly… because each new reveal will likely result in a new article being published on gaming sites. But I'm not sure how effective this tactic is for indies, who frankly aren't likely to get a whole lot of media coverage anyway, unless a well known industry veteran is associated with the project.

Perhaps they're trying to generate some buzz for it before launching a Kickstarter but I don't know why with-holding very basic info about a game (that often determines whether or not people are even interested) is helpful. I just want to know whether or not it's turn-based so I know whether to put it on my anticipated RPG list or not. Everything they have revealed looks and sounds pretty great to me so far, so I just really hope they don't dampen that with some shooter / twitch combat.

Damn it, why do developers do this? I mean, I kinda get why AAA developers reveal info about their games slowly… because each new reveal will likely result in a new article being published on gaming sites. But I'm not sure how effective this tactic is for indies, who frankly aren't likely to get a whole lot of media coverage anyway, unless a well known industry veteran is associated with the project. .
According to the games website it has a few veteran developers here is the list.

Most central to Lionbite are:

• Victor Lionhead, game director, producer and script writer. Coming from a 15-year career as a games journalist and editor-in-chief for numerous Swedish media outlets, Victor decided to take the next natural step by founding Lionbite Games with the ambition to shape own interactive experiences in new ways.

• Carl Granberg, lead programmer. Worked not only on praised titles such as Alan Wake and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but also upcoming CD Project’s triple-A games The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.

• Fredrik Ortmon, lead 3D artist. Has won no less than two consecutive Swedish Game Awards, of which the latest was for innovation with the brilliant one-man game concept Siege of Stockholm.

• Amir Briki, lead character artist. Skilled, multifaceted illustrator who sets the styles and tones for Lionbite’s creations and characters. His past experiences includes contributing as a concept artist to international agency Volta and Swedish game studio Avalanche.

• Rasmus Künstlicher, level designer. Creative problem solver Rasmus contributed with his expertise to the upcoming Jagged Alliance game, and some of his work was nominated for “best scenario” at the Swedish Game Awards.

• Kristian Johansson, sound designer and music composer. Kristian is the sound and music virtuoso of the Lionbite team, setting the tone, atmosphere and feel of our worlds. His previous work includes Stick it to the Man, praised for its sound work.

• Oskar Wolontis, co-writer. Former games media editor and freelancer whose vast knowledge in games goes back to the very beginning, Oskar brings new perspectives to story-telling and characters.
I tried to get you're question answered but they wouldn't budge.:)

Great job Couch! I like their ideas. It sounds like they are not afraid to step outside the box a little bit.

Great interview Couch !

I also wonder if they keep some info to themselves just because they haven't decided yet. Time will tell.
Thanks for the compliment Gilliatt. :handshake:

Your probably right as the game looks to be in the early stages of development right now. So it makes sense the developer doesn't want to give out details yet.

Nice interview, Couch!

I'll wait and see how this one develops. It's not on my radar yet, but we'll see... :)

Thanks for the interview! :)

We give the player control over each of the three characters chronologically, and eventually even play around with the dynamics of that.

You experience the narrative told through the three main characters, and each of the three offer a different perspective, all of which eventually intertwine.
I'm a little sceptical about this as I fear switching characters will make it harder to immerse.

I'm a little sceptical about this as I fear switching characters will make it harder to immerse.

I know what you mean, but I guess you could look at it as 3 RPGs in one. I generally prefer RPGs that let players generate / customize our own character, but hopefully they'll be plenty of decisions to help with the immersion. Always hate when games force "my" character to say or do things I don't want to do in that situation. I also hope that the switching between characters is handled well; it was pretty jarring the way it was done in The Banner Saga..

I know what you mean, but I guess you could look at it as 3 RPGs in one.
Right, but considering that this is an indie title playtime won't be that much. I always need some time to immerse (I guess that's fgor everybody), so it won't be easier...

3 separate perspectives can actually immerse you more in the story, because you will see some of the same events from totally fresh perspectives, thus investing you deeper than a typical, one-sided perspective story.

I experienced this with Suikoden 3, and it was great. If done well, it can add a lot of good elements to the story of the game.

Actually it works quite the other way. One of the RPGs I've enjoyed the most, in any platform, was Suikoden 3 in the PS2. What I loved about it was that the story was told through 3 different characters. Each chapter told through the 3 characters perspectives. As a hypothetical example (not Suikoden 3's, but similar enough), first you are Lieutenant Alice, assigned by the king to battle against brigands, because they steal and rob and you are in charge of taking care of them and their leader Joe. At some point you switch to Joe, and how you lead a band of refugees that were kicked out of their country in the latest war, how the invaders took over their properties, and how you are harassing their troops so the refugees can recover part of what's theirs, trying to make their leader's (Alice) life impossible. After some point you switch to the third character Ben, who is a trader that deals with Alice and Joe to supply them with goods, and thus the story intertwines among them, same events from opposite (and neutral) sides. It works really well.

It works really well.
I think that depends on personal taste. As Fluent said, switching characters helps you immerse in the story. I rather like to immerse in a character.

Nevertheless I'll most likely give this one a try. :)

Back
Top Bottom