Might & Magic X - Now Available

I read a review by a reviewer who seems knowledgeable, he mentions stuff from Xeen and has played MMX c. 30 hours before writing the review, who praises the old school design and hard core approach that MMX has, but absolutely trashes the game for its performance issues and bugs. Apparently levels can take minutes to load (once out in the open world of Chapter 2), the performance stumbles badly even on modern PCs with enough horsepower to run top of the line FPS games, character portraits disappear, vendors are selling Master-level training to characters who don't even have the skill in question, and so on and on. Also, the game has a bunch of issues which reek of a rush job and are just plain unfinished, like houses labelled "404_EMPTY_HOUSE" for example.

Even if I have preordered MMX, I think I'll wait a patch or two before diving in.

PS. The review is in Finnish so I won't bother linking to it.

unlike the blackguard early access the bulk of this game was not available during early access. In fact they stopped updating the early access months ago resulting in many complaints. I did not buy into the early access due to the very low response and lack of updates but i did read the steam forums. I could never really decide if people liked what was presented but I was a bit surprise at how early the early access stopped being updated.
-
The blackguard early access is almost the complete opposite. They provided a schedule at the start and they pretty much kept to it; the entire thing (but chapter 5) was released and they also had very good communication indicating how the final game would differ (i.e, improved character creation). I don't know if blackguard is any good but I give a huge thumb up to the developer for transparency and activity on the forum.
-
The M&M folks were fairly transparent I guess; perhaps they chose a bad publisher ?
-
Btw how do i become a lazy dog; I'm tired of being a watchdog.

It is strange if these things were not noticed during the early access ?

Even if I have preordered MMX, I think I'll wait a patch or two before diving in.
I'm waiting since the plan is to finish Blackguards first.

But just as I did with HoMM6, if I find anything bad or just suspicious, Ubi forum will meet my troll side. :)

Question: Does it still have the forced backtracking?

I mean, like allowing only 6 x food and then you have to backtrack to the village for no other reason than you are out of food. Sorry, I found that a totally lame idea. So, I wonder if that's still the case?

Sidenote: I was THE biggest Might and Magic fan. Seriously. I played World of Xeen maybe 20 or 30 times completely, last time just 2 years ago. BUT, when I read about the difficulty and I have seen the difficulty in Lets Play videos... I dont want this. Sorry, I am older now, my life is full of difficult stuff nowadays, and I dont need easy... but this sort of hardcoreness... sorry I think I pass. I simply can't face 300 times party wipe in a dungeon just to guess a strategy that works. *shrug* I simply lost that kind of patience over the years.

I read a review by a reviewer who seems knowledgeable, he mentions stuff from Xeen and has played MMX c. 30 hours before writing the review, who praises the old school design and hard core approach that MMX has, but absolutely trashes the game for its performance issues and bugs. Apparently levels can take minutes to load (once out in the open world of Chapter 2), the performance stumbles badly even on modern PCs with enough horsepower to run top of the line FPS games, character portraits disappear, vendors are selling Master-level training to characters who don't even have the skill in question, and so on and on. Also, the game has a bunch of issues which reek of a rush job and are just plain unfinished, like houses labelled "404_EMPTY_HOUSE" for example.

Thanks for this! It's good to know, so far the reviews have been vague about what they don't like with the game. This is unfortunate - I'll probably wait a bit for the initial bugs to be ironed out. My game backlog is insane anyway, and the first part of the year here is full of RPGs I want.

going to pick it up later this year during a steam sale, by then whatever bugs/complaints/conjecture should have died down.

I just bought it and got it on steam. My wife is out of town so I will make a party today and start playing.

M&M is my favorite franchise. At least when JVC made the games. So I might be a fanboy somewhat :) But if they messed this up they will feel my wrath.

In order to buy the Boxed Edition I bought Deluxe Edition from Uplay at September. But as I've discovered one week ago my game was changed with Digital version. I really didn't understand. I sent an email to customer support. But still no reply from them.

Craziness, I didn't realise this was going to be out so soon. As a Might and Magic nutbag of old, I shall read the Watch reviews with avid interest. :)

I'm certainly interested in playing it, but Uplay is a total deal breaker for me. Steam is the outmost DRM I can stomach, and no other such client will make it onto my computer.

I bought this early access but still haven't played it and sounds like I should wait a bit longer as well.

Don't care about DRM as long as it works and I've never had a problem with uplay.

Made my party and started walking around the first city, Sorpigal. Hehe name of first city from M&M1. I like the party creation and there is a nice selection of classes.

No problems or bugs so far but had to sign up for that U Play. Even getting it on Steam had to use a code to register and make an account. Wish it was on GOG but it isn't too much of a pain I guess.

Starting party is a Blade Dancer, Paladin, Rune Priest, and Free Mage. Will see how it goes when I play again in a few hours. I will say that I am excited to play again.

Made my party and started walking around the first city, Sorpigal. Hehe name of first city from M&M1.

Wasn't Sorpigal also the first city in M&M VI?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game after you've put some more time into it. I'm going to hold off for now...

Some of the game mechanics are still weird but they changed a lot since early access:

for example:
Movement is fluent now
Monster animation is faster and adjustable
Aggro ability is cheaper now but tanks are essentually still useless as far as i can tell
Dodge was improved a lot (the skill and the evade value as far as i can tell)
Ranged Attacks can now be used in melee with 50% dmg reduction (still crap but much better than before)

The performance has improved substantially. I briefly tried the early access version (didn't want to spoil the actual game), and performance was awful. I downloaded the full version this morning, and played around with it for ten minutes or so before having to go to work and performance was much, much better.

I can't speak authoritatively on the game itself, though, as I've really only played around with character creation and walking around the first town/mini-dungeon.

Wasn't Sorpigal also the first city in M&M VI?

Sorpigal was the first city in the very first Might & Magic, New Sorpigal was the first city in Might & Magic VI, and now M&M X has Sorpigal-by-Sea. Sorpigal-by-Sea also appears in Heroes VI.

Back
Top Bottom