Gamasutra - MP Alternatives in RPGs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamasutra is hosting a new article from Zack Wood who writes about MP alternatives in RPGs, and no it doesn't stand for multiplayer. He means Magic Points.

We’ve all played a game or two (or twenty) with this system: each character has a finite amount of MP used for spells, more powerful ones cost more MP, and if your MP runs out you need items (or “rest”) to replenish it.

I find many implementations pretty tedious (buying/using MP restorative items constantly, or saving all magic for the boss), but preferences aside, its just plain boring when so many games do the same thing.

Now I happen to think there’s still a lot to learn from older games, so let’s look back at some alternatives to the typical MP system and imagine exciting future possibilities. (Let’s just define “magic” and “MP” broadly as “special moves” and the “special points required to use them.”)
More information.

The author goes on mostly about JRPGS, but I find that MPs is mostly used (or the D&D system of memorizing spells), because they are simply better than the other systems mentioned. Casting spells that eat away at your health! No thanks! Consumable spells! Aack! Hate it!

I'd like to see a game use the magic system in Mage: The Ascension. The existence of Paradox can make it self-balancing and has some interesting game ramifications.

Back
Top Bottom