Planescape: Torment - Now Available on GOG!

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Santa has come early this year. First there was Baldur's Gate and now with a move that took me completely by surprise GoG has released Planescape: Torment. It comes with the manual, 2 wallpapers, soundtrack, 16 avatars, 104 artworks and a Chris Avellone and Colin McComb book. It's 9.99 USD and you can get it here.
More information.

First!!! :p Heh, who didn't see that coming? If I didn't already have the original box here, I'd probably go for it! Works well on Windows XP; no idea if they had to do some magic to make it work on Windows 7. So, does this make GOG.com the good guys again? ;)

Cool. I was hoping, when they announced BG... time to finally catch up with a classic.

I just got a DVD of this a couple months ago. There weren't a whole lot of options. Picked mine up on eBay from a U.S. reseller of a UK release for $22-23 with shipping.

Excellent. One of the reasons I joined GOG, to support this kind of signing ... Now I'm hoping for ToEE (since I assume BG2 will be there anyway soon).

I wonder if the game comes prepatched and with resolution fix included ?

All their games are fully patched as far as I know. As for resolution fixes, I can't really say definitively, but BG automatically adjusted to widescreen and looks fine on my monitor without having doing anything. I did have to modify an ATX graphic card setting to prevent a mouse/graphic issue, but that's it.

I suppose the next one will be BGII. They'll probably release Icewind Dale and its sequel as well. I'm also hoping for The Temple Of Elemental Evil. At least, a slightly updated version of The Temple Of Elemental Evil. I've got a nicely boxed version of the game in mint condition sitting here right next to me, but I can barely get 8 hours into game or all my saves start corrupting. I've tried about 4 playthroughs now, never got very far into the actual temple itself :(

Incrediable that they managed to squeeze it down to a 1GB download. The official release was 4 CDs so compression algorithms have definetly evovled :)

Cool that the Torment novel is included. I have considered getting it even though I've heard that the author manages to mix up the characters here and there.

10$ for 10 years old game. Though I paid 16$ when I bought it from Amazon as soon as it became available on DVD.

I took a course in graphics design once, and a father handed the CD to me telling me "Do you want this? I bought it for my son and we didn't get it".

Yay! Still the best game i've played, one of the very few game I was sorry for finishing , because I no longer could play it for the first time. It's comparable to Led Zeppelin's ossum piece of music "Kashmir", and like "Kashmir" not likely to be beaten.

10$ for 10 years old game.

I'm not sure any logic is set yet for games, age and pricing. This is a complex economic question in an industry that hasn't cared about long sellers for a long time and allowed a vaporware niche to grow.

It's not like I won't pay 10 bucks for Citizen Kane and that is a sight older than 10 years. Difficult question.

Glad to see this. I downloaded a copy a while back when I couldn't find one on ebay or Amazon for under $45. I only played a few hours (still not out of the morgue) and it hasn't really grabbed me yet, but I know that from everything I've read, once I get into this game, I'll love it. So I'll be buying a legit copy now that GOG has it.

Hell, I'd buy it just to support GOG and hopefully encourage other publishers (HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU EA WITH YOUR ORIGIN CATALOGUE) to join up.

10$ for 10 years old game. Though I paid 16$ when I bought it from Amazon as soon as it became available on DVD.

I don't really have an issue with the price, in fact, it's probably cheap. Despite the age, it is still in demand (as seen from the prices people get for selling used copies).

Ultimately, the price will be determined by folks like us. I'm not sure how many of us there are or how economically prosperous GOG is, but I think the existance of GOG alone is proff there is at least a niche market for their product packaged in a consumer-friendly way. (I think this, I.e. convenient downloads and lack of DRM, is very important for GOG.)It's all about the price point and convenience to the customer. Just look at what Jobs did with iTunes for a product we can all get for free, with a little extra effort. ( Personally, I buy games, but I just can't stop pirating music. )
Right now, the going rate seems to be $6-10 USD, which I've shelled out a few times myself.

10 bucks for one of the best games ever made, DRM free, updated for the current hardware and on a non-steam platform?

Yes please! i do have the original boxed version but i'm geting it anyways.

Back
Top Bottom