Fully working Creative X-Fi driver for Vista

I tried the new driver. First uninstall the previous driver and Creative's Alchemy programs. Rebooted into safe mode, clean any remaining registry entries with Driver Sweeper i got from Guru3D. Then restart the Vista in normal mode to install the latest driver and creative Alchemy program.

After third reboot, and after reconfigured my 5.1 speakers and audio settings, everything work well so far either in game (tested on Mass Effect) and MP3 music. I can't be sure it improves the sound, although some posters on another tech forum reported improvement in sound in term of clarity and such.

One thing i'm sure is the sound of my Z-5500 with X-fi extreme gamer is now sound much louder. I only put Windows volume at 50 and Winamp volume at 25 for normal listerning environment. In Mass Effect (patched) under hardware acceleration the sound seem to be clearer.

*sigh*

You know, I bought Audigy when it was boasted as really having an impact on sound and I bought the deluxe version with a separate box. Already then, drivers was a total nightmare, not to mention how difficult it was to get them upgraded. It even brought me to the point in which I was forced to reinstall windows.

They even demanded money for upgrade CD's. The remote control that came with the package (which was a key reason I bought the "pro" version") had no software support beyond Creative's own lousy software. No support for winamp for example.

Still, I bited the bullet upgrading to Audigy 2 ZS, which pretty much repeated the problems all over again.

One peculiar habit is that Windows always revert the settings back to stereo speakers instead of 7.1. Talking to Creative support, the only solution to this problem was to completely whipe all drivers, all creative software, then go through the long process to reinstall them again. Installing the CD takes like 20 minutes, finding what software you need to upgrade is a whole science due to Creative's lousy website (and an online installer that say I have no Creative card installed). When I finally have everything downloaded it takes several reboots to get them upgraded.

Compare that to nvidia where you have like one driver, you download the "highest number" available, then you reboot. Done.

Seeing this getting even worse with X-Fi and "alchemy" makes me just want to skip creative products in the future. It's amazing how a company who once were famous for it's compatibility and support could sink this low.

Anyone is looking for new sound card, i will suggest other brands of sound card as well. We're seeing high profile products from Asus and Auzentech.

It's amazing how a company who once were famous for it's compatibility and support could sink this low.
That was more than 10 years ago. Then Creative changed their policy somewhat. ;)

After Creative started selling other products like mp3 players, computer accessories and such, sound cards and speakers weren't the main focus anymore.

Back
Top Bottom