Venetica - Reviews

aries100

SasqWatch
A few reviews have surfaced for this game. There's one from Joystiq 2/5, one from Gaming Bolt, 6/10 - and finally one from DieHardGameFan. No score, but the reviewer says it is Enjoyable Game.
The one from Joystig is not very positive:
Venetica contains hints of a compelling quest but feels like its development life was cut short. The end result is a potentially grand concept that just can't flourish within its forced, generic confines. Functional yet capable of so much more, death's daughter just doesn't die up to her full potential.
The one from GamingBolt is bit more positive, yet still see it as mediocre game:
Venetica is not entirely bad, because the story although sometimes contradicting is actual pretty good. You play an orphaned woman named Scarlett with no family yet, you find you have a half brother which was a little confusing when you find out you are Deaths daughter. Your first primary goal is to find the Moonblade forged by metal not of this world. As the story continues, there are three different endings that are not simply chosen. Throughout the game you will make many moral decisions that will lead to different outcomes. As Deaths daughter you don’t always die, as if you have enough lives you are revived after losing your health. The game can take 25 to 60 hours to beat depending on how many quests you take on.
The review for GamehardDieFan is that is an "enjoyable game!" The reviewer clearly enjoyed the game:
It’s a fun little budget RPG, no more and no less, and It’s definitely one I had fun with. Seem that’s what counts. It doesn’t matter if a game has 1080i/p visuals or 3-D graphics. It doesn’t matter if the game has super famous actors providing character voices or is the latest churned out sequel in some major franchise from a major publisher. All that matters is that you feel you got your money’s worth out of a game and that you enjoyed the experience. Did I enjoy Venetica? You’re damn right I did. Did I get my forty bucks worth? Ditto. I enjoyed Venetica. At the end of the day that’s what matters. It’s a game I can recommend even if it’s not the prettiest or the cleanest running, but it’s fun and I know several of my staff and even more of my friends will enjoy it if they pick it up. So after reading all this, then by all means, pick it up. You’ll be supporting a small German development company and an even smaller North American publisher that Atari is helping out on this, its first US release. If you like it then consider it money well spent.
More information.

I'd settle with the one from 'GamehardDieFan'.

The game has a soul. It IS fun and yes, I enjoyed it very much then it hit the market in Germany first time around.

Can't say anything about the voice acting in other languages tho.

Certainly worth my money at least.

Well, I played the german demo when it came out a few years ago.. and based on that I eagerly awaited the english version. After finally being able to import the game, and finishing the *excellent* Fallout:NV, I managed to start on Venetica today. Still has all the charm I remember from the demo.

2/5 is definitely way too harsh.. maybe the reviewer just doesn't like the crpg/adventure genre very much?

Right now I'm enjoying the game very much. Whether or not that'll hold until the very end of the game I cannot say, but for the price the game is selling for I doubt I'll be disappointed with my purchase in any way.

I liked the game a lot. Never could finish it though because it crashed shortly before the final boss fight. But that bug should be history by now, I just haven't found the time to play it again.

I'm on my 3rd run through. Easily an 80% game, at least on PC. The weak reviews had to be expected though. Unknown game, no marketing push -> a good chance for big publications to signal their audience that they're still tough.

I'm enjoying the game (on 360). It's certainly not perfect; it has a lot of flaws. But there's also a lot to like about it, and as was said above, it has a certain charm that other games lack. It's about a 7 overall, imo.

Back
Top Bottom