Trailer for Star Citizen: Imagine

Backers got unlimited insurance…

This needs clarification. Early backers got "unlimited" or lifetime insurance as it's called (LTI) only on ship hulls (there is also insurance for cargo and equipment that everyone will have to pay). Lifetime insurance has also made a comeback on certain concept ship sales and it can still be bought if you buy one of the expensive packages so it's not really exclusive to early backers anymore either.
However, in the final game it is only supposed to be a small perk for early backers and everyone else who has it. Ben Lesnick of CIG has gone as far as saying literally that "LTI will not matter" so the whole circus around it is absolutely inexplicable.
Anyone who does not have LTI will just have to renew hull insurance on a regular basis (every few months or years) for a small fee and you can be certain there will be HUGE warning signs if you try to take off in an uninsured ship so you can't really forget it either. It's just a very minor inconvenience to not have LTI.

You simply pledge for a basic game package and you have access to everything in the game through normal gameplay, like Freelancer or Privateer.

People who feel like pledging thousands of dollars for virtual items are helping to fund the game, which is great. But the developers have made it clear that no single ship will have a great advantage over others, though that remains to be seen.

But you can buy whatever ship you like after a few weeks of trading or whatever - just like Elite Dangerous.

Pick "Pledge" - and then pick a "Game package", including a ship. It's pretty straightforward.

Cheapest is 25$ for an Aurora Starter ship - and everything else in-game - though they're out of stock now, so you'll have to wait until the game is out for a similarly low price.

I don't really need to advertise this game, because it will advertise itself once it's released. Trust me on that one :)

If you really believe this is all about graphics, then you clearly have no knowledge whatsoever about the game.

True, Chris Roberts and his crew wanted to create a high-end PC game, which takes full advantage of high-end hardware, because they wanted to push the limits of technology. Personally, I'm so thankful that this is happening, as I'm sick to death of console hardware and mainstream focus holding back my hardware and the technological potential of games.

Not shocking that people are confused, though, as people love to build their emotional underpinning for or against stuff, based on nothing at all. That's what it's like to be human.

Back
Top Bottom