Might & Magic X - The MMX Combat System

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Might & Magic X has a new update on it's open development blog talking about the combat system.

Fight3_679_WIP.jpg

Hey everyone,

Some time ago on the Ubisoft MMX forum, MagixJonsn asked whether there "will be static idiot enemies in the game?". Although we cannot reveal too much today about the intellectual status of monsters in MMX, we can say for sure they're not static. Want to know more about the fighting mechanics in MMX? Brace yourselves and read on!

Fighting in MMX - the basics

In MMX, combat is turn-based, which means your party and their opponents take turns fighting. While you make your move, they can only react (e.g. block an attack) and vice versa. The turn is split into several phases. The first one is the turn of the party, the second one is the monster's turn. The last phase is used by the environment for triggers, spawning, et cetera.
More information.

Good update. Still cautiously optimistic about this. More than a bit, actually. Most of what I've read has been good and the devs seem to understand what they're doing (even if they do hold an awful lot of community polls for content and some design matters). The characters (stats, classes, etc.), skills, and the combat system all seem to be (from what we've been told) embracing them Old Skool sensibilities and that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I'm sure there are many who would have liked them to take their inspiration from MM 6, but I'm very pleased they went with MM 3-5 instead. As a side note, I also like the visual style of MM X a lot, but gameplay is king, of course. Will have to wait and see, but so far so good.

I can't believe I am looking at a screenshot from a M&M game. Although it reminds me of the sea cave level in Wizardry 8, which is not a bad thing, but I'd prefer more M&M.

Back
Top Bottom