Seven Dragon Saga - Officially Announced

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Tactical Simulations Interactive sent over a new press release that officially announces their new RPG game called the Seven Dragon Saga. Here are the details.

Seven Dragon Saga – the epic RPG debut title from Tactical Simulations Interactive

New independent video games studio formed by SSI alumni, updates “Gold Box” RPG experience with modern tech and new core gaming system

September 2, 2014 - Los Angeles, USA /… Tactical Simulations Interactive (TSI) is excited to officially announce Seven Dragon Saga – an original RPG for PC, Mac, and Linux, based upon an original pen and paper role-playing system designed by former Strategic Simulations Interactive (SSI) alumni Keith Brors and David Shelley.

Seven Dragon Saga takes place in a high-powered fantasy universe, revolving around the Empire of the Seven Dragons. Eschewing traditional RPG tropes, Seven Dragon Saga provides the player with effective heroes right from the start, with TSI aiming to provide the next step in meaningful player experiences in the same way that SSI's ‘Gold Box’ titles did during the 1980s and 1990s.

This is not a tale of farmers or aspiring novices learning how to swing a sword; Seven Dragon Saga is a tale about the use of power. Players will need to assemble a brave troupe of adventurers “touched by the winds of the chaos”. Known as the Touched, these brave adventurers will face the unknown, and embark on a quest to discover hidden truths and determine the fate of the Empire.

It is the Emperor’s role to proclaim.

It is the Dragons’ role to command.

It is the role of the Touched to act, without hesitation and without regret.

David Shelley, Producer/Lead Designer, Seven Dragon Saga, said:
Seven Dragon Saga provides a robust rules system and fresh campaign setting for us to draw from. We’re adapting the pen and paper system as the seed to develop a compelling game experience, creating the type of strategy fantasy game our team is known for.”

Seven Dragon Saga sets a new standard for intricate turn-based combat that can be adapted to your party's strengths. Explore a new high fantasy realm, recruit powerful NPCs, and craft useful items during your party's quest to discover lost secrets and transform the world. Key features include:

Classic RPG / Modern Gameplay: Create a full party under your total control right from the start. Venture forth to uncover lost secrets in an original fantasy setting.

Strategic Combat: Face challenges in turn-based tactical combat, updated with modern design philosophies. Carefully maneuver your party taking advantage of terrain and destructible environments.

Weigh Your Decisions: One group’s ally is another faction’s enemy. Make meaningful social/political choices that directly impact the world around you. Will you pursue duty and honor or choose riches and adventure with little concern for the consequences?

Proven Technology: Seven Dragon Saga is built using the Unity3D engine (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar).

Tactical Simulations Interactive will reveal more details about Seven Dragon Saga in the near future. To keep updated, visit:

Homepage: http://TSI-Games.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TSIGames
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames
More information.

I sure hope they can make a go of bringing back the flavor of those old gold box games. Curse of the Azure Bonds was my first PC game way back in 1989, though I played Pool of Radiance on the C-64 before that. SSI was one of my go to game makers back then. Hopefully they can do it again.

Loved SSI. If they asked for my money now, they'd likely have it. Whisper "Gold Box" in my ear, and I might be ashamed of myself in the morning.

Loved SSI. If they asked for my money now, they'd likely have it. Whisper "Gold Box" in my ear, and I might be ashamed of myself in the morning.

"...Gold Box..." :p

I must confess that I arrived on the RPG scene later, so missed these games. I did play a later Pools of Radiance game, but that was not very good. I remember reading books with these names though (I think!? It seems like a 100 years ago...)

"…Gold Box…" :p

You know what I like. :p

There was this Western SSI game I loved as a kid. Wish I could remember the name. I immediately thought of it when this Hard West game up recently, although i have since come to the conclusion Hard West will not come close to filling its shoes. Turn-based Ols West gunfights. Very tactical. Everything had numbers. Excellent line of sight. Different obstacles had different coverage percentages for defense but also affected your offensive shooting negatively, I.e. shooting from a second-floor window offered better cover than kneeling behind a hitch outside the saloon. They had historical gunfights, some made up for the game and some taken from movies. One of my favorites was Rio Bravo, with ol' Stumpy lobbing dynamite while you were desperately outnumbered and pinned down in the sheriff's office. Think it was on the Commodore 64…or maybe the Vic 20. Loved that damn game. Haven't seen its like since…

While I would love something along the lines of the gold box games, I am still
somewhat sceptical this will be it. The website doesn't let us know anything about the rpg system, and the character archetypes shown make me wonder how much
character customization there will be. I'm fearing another Aarklash:Legacy, which was by no means a terrible game, but lacked too much of what makes a tactical rpg good. I hope I'm wrong.

I only wished they hadn't based the concept on dragons. I'm as fed up with dragons as I'm with zombies and vampires, too overused.

Never played a Gold Box game (my CRPG history started with Baldur's Gate), but this title looks interesting

I'm ready to throw cash at them. After the Wizardry games, the gold box ones were my very next favourite. Hopefully we all won't have to wait too long for this.

Very interesting, their company was formed from the spirit of SSI style games, but no other relation. Will keep my eye on this but hopefully I do not have to read paragraph 4 on page 55.

Very interesting, their company was formed from the spirit of SSI style games, but no other relation. Will keep my eye on this but hopefully I do not have to read paragraph 4 on page 55.

I thought a couple of the founding members are SSI alumini. David Shelley and Paul Murray?

Anyway, there isn't much information to go on at this point, but it at least sounds promising to me so far.

Last edited:
Mildly interested, but need to know more. I don't want any thing with JRPGs as an influence or element. I just hope it is a traditional fantasy setting like forgotten realms. If it is Japanese rpg-like, I won't be interested, just not my thing. :uneasy:

I only wished they hadn't based the concept on dragons. I'm as fed up with dragons as I'm with zombies and vampires, too overused.
The quotes at the end of the main page make me think "dragon" might actually be a rank, not a beast.

Back
Top Bottom