Planescape: Torment - Retrospective @ Eurogamer

To me, IWD was like "pearls for the swine", such a GREAT athmosphere and mood ... They could have done sooooooo many things out of that ... so many underlying themes ... it was just great ... and then only combat. Yuck.

No one will argue about it being fundamentally a dungeon crawler, but it seemed like you were trying to claim it didn't have a plot/story at all, which is not the case.

If you look, I actually said that it didn't have a "real" story. Not that it didn't have any story, merely that the story was just a token effort.

Anyway, what was it I was supposed to read the manual for? You still haven't explained.

Because you didn't seem to be grasping it, that's why... and yes, I was reading your words just fine. :)

I think you'll find it's you who haven't been grasping the fact that I have been grasping it. Probably because you haven't been reading things properly ;)

Your opinion is completely subjective, just like mine, and I have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with however, is when someone tries to take something that is subjective, and state it as a fact.

What opinions have I stated as fact? I've stated that IWD has no real story. No real plot, characterisation, original world building, dialogues, choices & consequences etc, but that it is an extremely polished implementation of D&D combat and general art & music assets. None of which seems to be meeting with much disagreement.

I've also stated my own opinion and enjoyment of the game, and my amazement at other people's opinions.

Not sure where I've stated my opinions as the definitive facts, even though frankly I think you should all recognise that my opinions really are always right.

See, now that wasn't so hard....:)

Nor was it necessary to clarify in such detail something that should IMO be implicit unless people are saying something else.

To me, IWD was like "pearls for the swine", such a GREAT athmosphere and mood ... They could have done sooooooo many things out of that ... so many underlying themes ... it was just great ... and then only combat. Yuck.

I'm much the same, if someone reaches for something ambitious and then produces a sloppy bugfest I'll get quite forgiving, but if someone produces something beautifully implemented and polished but doesn't take the time to slap a decent dialogue and plotline on top of it then it just feels like such a waste.

If you look, I actually said that it didn't have a "real" story. Not that it didn't have any story, merely that the story was just a token effort.

Really?

I stand by the view that it had nothing else. Story? No.

:)

Anyway, what was it I was supposed to read the manual for? You still haven't explained.

Forget it....

I think you'll find it's you who haven't been grasping the fact that I have been grasping it. Probably because you haven't been reading things properly ;).

Um....ok

What opinions have I stated as fact? I've stated that IWD has no real story. No real plot, characterisation, original world building, dialogues, choices & consequences etc, but that it is an extremely polished implementation of D&D combat and general art & music assets. None of which seems to be meeting with much disagreement.

"so utterly lacking in anything else at all"
"polished turd"
"Freedom to roleplay? No."
"Replayability? No."
"not very good"

Yes, those are opinions....being stated like facts. :)

Not sure where I've stated my opinions as the definitive facts, even though frankly I think you should all recognise that my opinions really are always right.

Why can't you always be that humerous?

IWD is a turd.

Well, at least its first 2/5 or so. A lot of repetitive combat and not really much of anything else.
Somewhere during the second half of Dragon´s Eye the game finally starts to get more interesting and the rest of the game is mostly much stronger, especially Severed Hand and Dorn´s Deep whose lower part is probably the best part of of the game, which is very unusual since ending parts are usually the weakest in crpgs. I´ve played it for the first (and only) time rather recently so I still remember the names :).

That said, the game contains a lot of more-or-less hack´n´slash and its story is thin and extremely linear (with the exception of aforementioned Lower Dorn´s Deep) so I doubt I will replay it soon, if ever.

There is mod called Icewind Dale NPCs which somwhat manages to offset IWD´s "Less talk, more fight!"
stance by giving a player 5 NPCs who chat and comment along the ride, similarly to BG2´s ones.
Its character are rather plain, down-to-earth, no Mary Sues so they don´t disturb the flow, just make the playthrough more lively. I can only recommend it.
In fact, existence of this mod was the only reason why I finally decided to give IWD a try :).

OT: Planescape: Torment rulez!

There is mod called Icewind Dale NPCs which somwhat manages to offset IWD´s "Less talk, more fight!"
stance by giving a player 5 NPCs who chat and comment along the ride, similarly to BG2´s ones.
Its character are rather plain, down-to-earth, no Mary Sues so they don´t disturb the flow, just make the playthrough more lively. I can only recommend it.
In fact, existence of this mod was the only reason why I finally decided to give IWD a try :)

Bah.... I don't want constant jibber-jabber in every game I play, sometimes I just want to concentrate solely on kicking ass ;). If I want talking NPCs then I'll go play BG or PST.

Variety is the spice of life. :)

There you go. Variety is the spice of life. For what it's worth I really liked IWD and IWD 2. Not as much as PS:T, but they still were a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life. :)

Haha, yeah, that´s why I played IWD with the mod in the first place.
I mentioned it as a quite viable option for people who neglect IWD because it´s mostly only about combat.

Back
Top Bottom