Elminage Gothic - Pre-Orders Available on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Elminage Gothic a new dungeon crawler from the Japanese developer of the Wizardry titles called Starfish SD, and you can now pre- order the game on Steam.

From the makers of the world renowned “Wizardry Empire” titles, Starfish SD brings you the latest entry in their popular series of dungeon crawlers. Elminage Gothic, previously only available in Japanese on PlayStation® Portable, now comes to PC offering a classic old school dungeon crawling experience with a dark, gothic twist!

In ancient times, the Great and Dark Gods clashed in a ferocious war over Man's control of the world, bringing despair and ruin to the lives of all humans.

As the conflict raged, the Great Gods sought to vanquish the power of the Dark Gods through the faith of humans. In return for their faith, the Gods promised humans a world of peace and prosperity and thereby a contract between humans and the Great Gods was formed.

By the contract, the Dark Gods could not interfere with the world of humans and were forever sealed inside their world of darkness. The people worshiped the Great Gods in thanks for their prosperity, and the world entered an era of peace.

However…

The humans grew complacent and allowed their faith to fade.

Now, in the far-off realm of Ishmag, King Jardin ushers in an age of peace. Unknown to him, the dark powers have already begun reaching out in secret, planting the seeds to bring about the revival of the Dark Gods into the hearts of men. Foul and hideous creatures are emerging from the deep, treacherous caves of Tsun-Kurn and rumours of a rising evil are creeping across the peaceful lands.

It is up to you to arm yourself and descend into the depths of Tsun-Kurn in an attempt to put an end to the ever growing darkness and save your kingdom.

Features include:
• Well over 80 hours of dungeon crawling gameplay!
• Hundreds of stunning monsters, creatures and demons to defeat
• Multiple character classes
• The classic and traditional “THAC0” system!
• Full English translation

This PC conversion also features a number of improvements over the original, including:
• Higher resolution art
• Improved user interface
Thank you Spoonful for the link.

More information.

I'm wondering if it's a turn based game. If so, I might grab it. I'm not familiar with the Wizardry World games, assuming they don't mean the old Wizardry series.

Oo...with a slightly more polished UI, this could be interesting...

I'm taking the risk and preordering.

Unfortunately a lot of first person dungeon crawlers from Japan are not very good and that includes a bunch which did get translated. Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken on PS2 was the only one that I thought did a good job and had a very traditional approach, with a modern day spin to it.

A Wizardry clone! Yeah!

I also preordered it. For 8 euros I couldn't resist.

I'd have a Wizardry clone rather than a Call of Duty/Gears of War/Candy Crush Saga/Oblivion/Super Meat Boy/pixel art roguelike/hidden images game clone any day like there are already thousands. This is an older genre that actually deserves to be resurrected.

Bring me turn-based RPGs!

I'd have a Wizardry clone rather than a Call of Duty/Gears of War/Candy Crush Saga/Oblivion/Super Meat Boy/pixel art roguelike/hidden images game clone any day like there are already thousands. This is an older genre that actually deserves to be resurrected.

^ This. These days, the only way I can get to play this excellent genre is to try to boot up games that are 20+ years old and pretend that I am still enjoying the game mechanics. I dream of dungeon-crawlers that are modern but eschew 3D and real-time combat. So, here we are!

HiddenX, not game related, but your signature statement don't make much sense to me: How can a solution be wrong?

Maybe the statement reads better this way:
"For every complex problem, there is an 'answer' that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken"

since an answer can be right or wrong. A solution by default or intention should be right (whether it works or not).

Read it this way:
For every complex problem, there is a solution (that someone presents to you as such) that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

Happens every day in a life of a software engineer… :)

This quote version exists, too:
(close to yours)
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong

Preordered. They had me at THACO.

Won't be able to play it for a while but it's only 8 bucks.

Oh my the interface on this one is simply abominable, and it scales so poorly too. I understand this was originally a 480x272 PSP game, but whose brilliant idea was it not to at least tweak the UI properly? At 1920x1080 you see so little text is is unreadable and very unpleasant. It's so awkward to use the mouse too. Japanese developers cannot into PC gaming controls, for them anything that is more than clicking dialogue in a visual novel is going to be messy.

I love the variety of classes though, it's another Japanese Wizardry game that basically took the Wizardry VI-VII races and classes, but which renamed them and retrofitted them under the classic turn-based Wizardry I-IV tile based system.

Oh my the interface on this one is simply abominable, and it scales so poorly too. I understand this was originally a 480x272 PSP game, but whose brilliant idea was it not to at least tweak the UI properly? At 1920x1080 you see so little text is is unreadable and very unpleasant.

Enable the window mode in the options and everything is good!

So how is the game itself? I wouldn't mind a good Wizardry clone, but I'm not sure about this one.

I watched some gameplay footage, and I was put off by the overly cartoony look of some of the characters and monsters.

Back
Top Bottom