The Dark Eye - The Movie

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
On a scale 1-10 I give 0 to d&d movie. One of the biggest disappointments in my life.

Let's hope this slowpaced TDE "teaser" with a sword that changes colors from blue to purple depending on camera each scene's been filmed with, is not what the full movie (if it happens) will be.

The second was okay. I thought it was quite acceptable for a low budget action movie. The SFX were better than I expected and all the spells and items etc were directly drawn from D&D.

There is actually a 3rd movie coming out later this year....so I assume the second one must have at least broken even.

I love my movies trashy, so I actually liked D&D (the first one). It was so funny.

I enjoyed the second one for what it was. Much more true to Dungeons & Dragons than the first one.

I enjoyed the animated Dragonlance flick:)

I enjoyed the animated Dragonlance flick:)

I kind of got excited but the reviews say I should avoid it.
Coming on the tail-end of 2007 and the start of 2008, one would expect a decent amount of increase in quality in animated movies, especially considering the detail and flow of Anime that comes from across the pond, in Japan.

The first 10 seconds had me cringing and praying that the opening Dragonflight was just a basic crappy title-scene. Unfortunately, it was a horrid foreshadowing of what was to be a 90 minute flashback to TV's 1994 "animated" series, "Reboot".

The animation itself was choppy and poorly drawn. It made me believe that we haven't improved anything since the days of Thundercats and He-Man. And then someone had the bright idea to include poorly done CGI into this cesspool of Technicolor Regurgitation! What brain-child thought THIS idea would be cool, nifty, and grand is completely beyond me.

Well, at least I could fall back on the stellar voice acting of Kiefer Sutherland, Michael Rosenbaum, Lucy Lawless, and Michelle Trachtenberg, right? I mean, stars from such shows as 24, Smallville, Xena, and Buffy!! Apparently, these actors must not be able to get into character unless they can actually physically fill the roles of the character they are portraying. The voice acting was lackluster at best. The fight scenes and heated arguments were strained, as if they were trying to yell at themselves in a mirror, and just as equally unbelievable.

The story itself, if you can suffer your eyes and mental capacity long enough to watch it, remains somewhat true to form to the book. Though, if Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman were to actually see this, I'm sure they'd want to be buried so they could start rolling over.

All-in-all, I'd recommend sticking to the book and avoiding this "movie", else you run the risk of ruining a great story you once held in your mind. Pretty much the same way that Lost Boys was totally and completely awesome when I was 13, but watching it 2 weeks ago opened my eyes to how campy and crappy it really is. What a way to ruin my remembrance of two completely awesome titles.

Anyways, I'd have had more enjoyment if someone locked me into a circular room and told me to find a corner to pee in.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/
Perhaps Ill just read or listen the book series again. Its been 15 years or so since I did.

Well, there's a D&D movie out there already - so why not for TDE as well ? ;)

So , look at this ;)

http://www.dasschwarzeauge-film.de/

Alrik

Looks a lot like the first D&D movie but perhaps better done on the mood, First D&D had a terrible lack of production value which is very rude to manage for a Fantasy movie. If you add to that a simple adventure story, on purpose cliché characters, some direct reference to games rules, you get a low level quality movie but nice to watch anyway.

The second D&D is a solid good Fantasy movie. Nothing pretentious but well done, nothing amazing but solid, pleasant, and fairly good production value.

That TDE trailer seems point to the first D&D movie because of the lack of production value. But I'd say if it wasn't in German I would have get it to know what happen. :)

Some peoole say that this trailer is rather a pre-production piece.
I'm not deep enough in that matter, so I can't really say.

Back
Top Bottom