Majesty 2 Kingmaker and patch 1.3

Dasale

SasqWatch
Majesty 2 Kingmaker the extension of Majesty 2 is out since few weeks. Here the official announcement:
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/majesty-2-kingmaker

Just wanted put it at RPGWatch because I felt weird not have known it before.

It's far to be the perfect game and it changes in deep the approach of Majesty 1 which was quite more deep and quite more sim, but it's still a unique RTS not that bad and you won't find any other game like that.

Kingmaker only add new stuff, 8 new missions (4 advanced and 4 expert), and the mission editor.

Some time before the 1.3 patch had been released, something I also didn't knew, it enable back mods and in a more clean way, allow use user maps in a more clean way.

Not sure if it's Kingmaker or 1.3 patch but now there's a DLC system, some new DLC items are free and you can download them. Some other can be bought, for know only at GamersGate, Steam haven't yet the 1.3 patch so also no Kingmaker. Myself I installed Kingmaker from GamersGate upon a Retail CD version.

bummer, they could at least toss in a new hero of some type or something. Instead, they probably just made some scenarios where they choke off your resources or attack the hell out of you 20 seconds after you start.

I'll have to try it, but at first glance it doesnt look all that exciting. At least there's apparently some new enemies and graphics.

German mag "Gamestar" says the Add-On will be offered "exclusively as a commercial download", roughly translated.

bummer, they could at least toss in a new hero of some type or something. Instead, they probably just made some scenarios where they choke off your resources or attack the hell out of you 20 seconds after you start.

I'll have to try it, but at first glance it doesnt look all that exciting. At least there's apparently some new enemies and graphics.

If Majesty 2 bored you there's no reason to lost time here, I wonder why Majesty 1 fans irritated by Majesty 2 persist bother with it.

All the new resources, editor, opening to mods, new hero already known but finalized, new maps, some other stuff was already provided for free with the patches and even more with 1.3 patch and some free DLC also allowed by this patch. Kingmaker is only 4 advanced and 4 expert maps and Orcs stuff also finalized plus perhaps few other small stuff.

I liked Majesty 2, I'm just thinking that the usual "difficulty" thing tends to run the same gambit w/ the games, the first one included. Which means basically attacking you earlier and pummeling you when you have one warrior built. Anything but boring, lol ='.'=

A bit frustrating actually.

I quit playing a while ago after I beat the game, was there a new hero added in a patch? I'm just looking at the expansion release notes here, I'm not familiar w/ the overall patch history

It wasn't clear at all from your post that you enjoyed somehow Majesty 2 so it looked weird. From what you write my advice is avoid Kingmaker and pick only the free patch and the free DLC.

My own little story that will never be official:
What happened is that the development of Kingmaker started in parallel with final version of Majesty 2 and the first patches. But developers team made quite a lot of error and let visible inside Majesty 2 and patches unfinished resources that was planned for Kingmaker and future DLC, that includes an instable mission editor and they hadn't yet clarify its legacy as it's mainly based on a dev toolset they bought and adapted for their dev, Ice Mage hero with some bugs but almost finished, some Orcs stuff with many bugs for many, and more.

Add to that some Majesty 1 fans that whine a lot requesting that all the dev of Majesty 2 had to be redone to implement a remake of M1…. welcome to Dreamland.

So the game editor ends to request dev to finish some Kingmaker/future DLC resources and release them for free, tried implement few fans requests like a random option through any maps and some AI changes, and released some free single missions through patches and with free DLC.

That's why Kingmaker ends to bring not much more than the campaign with 4 Advanced maps and 4 Expert maps plus Orcs resources finished (units, heroes, some skills and probably few items).

Before Kingmaker, has been released for free:
  • Ice Mage Temple Hero as a free DLC (was almost finished in Majesty 2 resources).
  • 2 single missions in an intermediate patch (1.3 patch includes all patches).
  • 2 single missions as free DLC.
  • 4 new temple hero skills, each for one different temple hero, released as free DLC.
  • The mission editor but with zero support and to use at your own risk (they probably give up try improve it or fix it fully but it seems work anyway), released in 1.3 patch.
  • A sample manual and one example simple mission for the editor, released in 1.3 patch.
  • A basic system to allow mod the game without to have to hack the game resources directly, released in 1.3 patch.
  • An option to play any map, single or from campaign with some random, released in 1.3 patch.

There's also some non free DLC, available since 1.3, no link with Kingmaker:
  • 2 single missions
  • A new temple (assassin, temple hero for rogues)
  • 8 new skills, like summon vampire for Krypta, resist knock-back for Warriors or summon Fantasy dragon for mages, separately each or as a DLC bundle.
  • New items for the smith as 4th generation items, the whole in one DLC bundle or separately.
  • 2 new king spells.
  • 3 Visual addon (new skins for some buildings and new castle look)

If you buy all DLC but the visual addons it will cost around 22€, ie more than Kingmaker. But to temper it, it's at GamersGate that offer many possibilities to get virtual coins for free to buy that sort of stuff, like for each game you buy you get some virtual coins, for voting, for posting a review and some more stuff.

i remember when i used to lurk on the Majesty2 official forums there was someone that found the Ice Mage assets and was trying to get them to work, and some other things.

Thanks for the extensive rundown in your post, Dasale!

Some Russian had made some mods exploiting the internal resources of Majesty 2. The Ice Mage was the feature the closer to be in final state. It had some missing stuff making the result very functional but not really pleasant. Only one Russian mod use its resource and edit them a lot to make a Necromancer with less bugs but still some texts problems.

If Russian players get the same version than we did we will certainly get some more clean mods. On Western side, Majesty 1 fans killed the game and no moding will ever happen I bet. Still we got from a Western fan one map implementing an amazing level of random and rather fun to play and replay, despite not totally fully clean (like not be able to save first day and few mysterious bugs happening sometime in some heroes behavior), still the best map of Majesty 2, from all maps, official and from fans.

Now I'm wanting to play it again, all this talk of "randomness" has got me all hot and bothered. It ran ok on my other rig, I cant wait to see it on my newest monster pc, I for one think the graphics were really nice in the game even turned down as I undoubtedly had them

The randomness is relative, I think it's only possibly dens, tradeposts, temples that aren't linked directly to the mission. I'm not sure but I don't think that it's also for waves coming from frontiers. Also it seems there's a control level in a map of this randomness, and I read in forum that for some maps there's more random and some there's less.

I'm replaying the original campaign with random option, and it's very fun, but it's a lot because, there's enough time since I play it, so I'm fresh again with it, one sign is I get back some good laugh a point that disappear after you have play long enough the game. I quote there and there some stuff I didn't remember but it's perhaps sometimes a map change more than coming from the added random.

I haven't yet reach map with real temples (only the one with Blademaster) but for tradeposts and dens the new random is cool. Another cool change is that now chess give random stuff, potions and items. For example it was nice that a Blademaster got an expert sword despite I haven't yet play a map with a smith selling one. Sure I pick him as the lord, despite the price of Temple Lords.

Back
Top Bottom