Everstar - Tactical Party-Based RPG

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Everstar, a party-based 3D action RPG in the style of Dragon Age: Origins, has launched a Kickstarter. The developer Psycho Sorted is asking for $850,000 to get funded.

Everstar is a fully 3D, party-based action-RPG featuring co-op campaign play developed by industry veterans.

Our dream is to make an epic fantasy game where you and your friends have a party of adventurers who do battle in a physics-rich 3D world - a game that you can play tactically or as an action game.

Everstar is a game about a class of teenage gladiators who will charm and surprise you, follow you into danger, face their worst nightmares, and eventually tear down the world and stand atop the rubble in victory.

• Everstar is a cutting edge realtime 3D RPG for PC, PS4, and Xbox One
  • You control a party of up to 6 characters at once
  • Each character's gameplay is deeply customizable with job and kit swap systems
  • The full campaign can be played with online co-op - invite up to 5 friends or go it alone - your choice
  • Be a battlefield general in Tactics mode, or get your hands dirty on the front lines in Action mode. Both styles of play support either a keyboard/mouse (PC only) or gamepad (all platforms)
You can think of Everstar as: Harry Potter drama meets Dragon Age squad action with a dash of the school simulation of Persona 4.
More information.

Hm... cartoony visuals and a touch of Anime. No information about npc interaction, dialogs, companions etc., just focusing on combat. Character development seems very simplisitc. GUI in its current state seems to be made for consoles. Online co-op could again have negativ impact for single player experience. Backer explusive abilities (really?).

So I'm not at all convinced, but I'll keep an eye out.

They dare come out with this asking $850,000, seriously? A misplaced pitch at best. :˘

Yes how dare a developer actually set a goal with the right amount needed to make the game. Even though I can tell people won't back it now because of the amount asked.

It's the curse of kickstarter asking for to much money, and not being famous.:disappointed:

It's the curse of kickstarter asking for to much money, and not being famous.:disappointed:

Actually, the developers are a motley hodgepodge of talent from C&C Red Alert, Mass Effect, and a bunch of other titles. But I guess there's no "big names" to attach…:-/

Personally, I thought the title looked really promising - if a little cartoony - but I guess a lot of people must feel like $850k is too steep to help out…

I meant nothing bad Aubrielle just look at the various kickstater games I covered in the last two years. Any new kickstarter game asking for 100K, or more has failed.

So unless you're Obsidian, inXile Entertainment, or Larian it's very hard.:brood:

PS: I'm actually interested in the game to help back it with a small pledge.

Oh I know. :) I was referring to harsher critics...which means a lot of people. I wasn't referring to you at all. ^.^

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, people won't pledge because it looks a terrible idea, badly executed so far (did you see the first scene with the monster? WTF was that???), with no chance to succeed? Just a thought.

Yeah, I don't care for the $850k too.
The content just doesn't persuade me.

Sure, Kickstarter projects have now more trouble to meet their goals than they used to have a couple years ago, but I don't think that's the only reason why Everstar will most likely fail.

Personally I couldn't care less about the 850k, but the entire concept just doesn't look appealing to me. The art style reminds me of Fable (not in a good way), the game play seems to be quite action-oriented, and the description "Harry Potter drama meets Dragon Age squad action "… , sorry, but no.

So while there is certainly some Kickstarter fatigue in general, I also don't think it's fair to dismiss critics and their reasons why they won't back certain projects by saying they are just turned off by the somewhat high funding goal.

"a game that you can play tactically or as an action game."

To me that translates to "a game you play as an action game" and the video also seems to be real time action combat. I pledge to alot of games, but I'm really doubtful of this one.

Even if a game is promising, even if its Kickstarter is not asking for much, it has very little chance to succeed if big names aren't attached to it.

Case in point: Ars Magica
Case in point: Bedlam

It's looking more and more like Kickstarter was an overnight fad for video game developers, and one that rarely ever led anywhere for people without an already established fanbase.

I'm not a big fan of the character models, though I could see myself being interested if there was a different art style. I do feel sad for these guys, though. They've put together an experienced team and lined professional voice actors and everything. They just couldn't strike the right chord. On the other hand the only sinking boat I tried to rescue was Deathfire, and to do something like that, one really, really, wants to see the game get made.

The full campaign can be played with online co-op - invite up to 5 friends or go it alone - your choice
In other words - we won't use your money for decent singleplayer AI.

I'll pass.

In other words - we won't use your money for decent singleplayer AI.

I'll pass.

Lol, nice catch. Thanks for pointing that out.

"a game that you can play tactically or as an action game."

To me that translates to "a game you play as an action game" and the video also seems to be real time action combat.

To me sentence "you can play tactically or as an action" is mostly related to (party) controls, camera and your approach. I doubt the game will have two full- fledged and balanced combat systems. Its very time consuming to design, balance and test it all. In fact noone does that, including much bigger studios. There is always one core system - the action one - with some (possible) tactical-lite adjustments.

Case in point: Ars Magica
Case in point: Bedlam

It's looking more and more like Kickstarter was an overnight fad for video game developers, and one that rarely ever led anywhere for people without an already established fanbase.

I see your point but I certainly hope it's not that bad. Bedlam still has a decent chance to succeed, they've raised almost 110k out of 130 and five days to go. I'll up my pledge in the last hours if it's needed, maybe others feel the same way?

Ars Magica went totally by me, which is kind of weird.

Back
Top Bottom