UFO: Extra Terrestials

Out 10, 10 being the best, how do you rate UFO:ET

• Total voters
The aliens are pretty smart in one respect. They'll send a battlecruiser at you a fair distance away from your base, drawing every plane in the area. Then, when that battlecruiser is nearly dead, another one will pop up right next to your base and sweep in unmolested. It's happened too many times to be coincidence.

BTW, destroyers still suck.

Between Ubbax, DTE, and myself someone should write a review here for UFO:Et. Maybe all three of us.

Necro job.

I've been chugging away for the last week and I've got to admit a bit of the shine is off the apple. I had to sit around for quite a while waiting for the advent of battleships. Yeah, that was self-inflicted by research sandbagging, but still... I'm letting a fair number of shot-down sites just disappear rather than risk injury and waste ammo. I've had 2 battleships pop up so far. Both appeared right next to an empty base, took over the base, and disappeared before I had a chance to do much. Until I can shoot one down, I'm stuck on the research tree and stuck on the "story".

It's still a very fun game, but there's a bit of drudgery creeping in. I remember reading complaints about the limited number of combat layouts (255) and thinking that it didn't really matter. Well, I was wrong. It's starting to get a little noticeable.

BTW, this thread probably ought to be in the Non-RPG forum.

Last edited:
This thread still needs to move.

Installed patch #2. Don't see any difference and based on the readme I'd say most folks gain nothing from this one.

Went to Earth. Fortunately, I saved before doing so. I think I'll reload and spend a little more time in the workshop. Now that I understand how they're working it, I want to build a whole lot more ammo. I'm a little unhappy that there's no way to carry more than 1 med kit each.

I started this thread before there was a general game board - the one you now Moderate ;).

Earth is pretty tough and when I realized what was happening I decided to challenge myself and made it. I had about two guys left if I remember.

Asking for the thread to move is just a trick to increase my dominion...

I'm a few battles into Earth now. I don't know how many fights I've got to go (don't tell me), but I'm hoping to wrap it up today or tomorrow.

Are we still going to do an RPGWatch review? I'll slap something together either way--it's just a question of whether we make it a team effort.

That went a bit quicker than I expected. I ended up with 4 guys alive, although it would have been 5 had I not gotten mixed up and shot my own guy (2 guys shooting thru a wall, thought I had the the guy right in front of the wall but turned out I had the one standing a step back, pardon the particle beam sir). Very fun game, but I was ready for it to be over.

Last edited:
If I get time I'll write something up and send it to you for checking.

At this point its been long enough since I played it I'm worried I'd miss something in the review.

If I did maybe we can combine our points.

Between Ubbax, DTE, and myself someone should write a review here for UFO:Et. Maybe all three of us.

Apologies for never responding to this. The post was made after I already left. I was away up at the cottage for a few months while work was being done and have no internet connection there.

I haven't been checking the forums much the last month even when home because I'm still running back and forth to get things done before the snow flies. I'm seriously considering hibernating at the cottage this winter. As a result of this I haven't fired up the game since probably the end of June and I'm not really in a position currently to commit to a review. It's not that I wouldn't be interested, if only I'd seen your post earlier :(

I still refer people that ask me to this UFO Extraterrestrials Review as I consider it a pretty fair summary of the game; minus the statements concerning no zoom in/out or quick keys. There were in the original release but people tend not to look at a readme.txt for some reason.

Admittedly I also picked up Steven Peeler's Depths of Peril on my return to town and it has been taking over what little free time I've had since its installation on my hardrive. Simply an excellent game and works well on the old PC I recently hauled to the cottage. I would say probably the best game made by an Independent in some time. Worth every penny Steven asks for it.

Ubbax
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away." - unknown

Simple question for anyone : is there a way to stop the screen from jumping/jerking for every shot during combat ?

There's a setting for bullet speed you can slow down to make the move more smooth if that's your complaint. Pretty sure I remember a setting about centering on shots what would eliminate the camera work all together if that's what's bothering you.

There's a setting for bullet speed you can slow down to make the move more smooth if that's your complaint. Pretty sure I remember a setting about centering on shots what would eliminate the camera work all together if that's what's bothering you.

Basically, I don't want the camera view to move, jump, or shift at all with/for my shots. Instead, I want to have a wide enough camera zoom-out, so that I can simply follow the projectile with my own eyes. Think shooting crossbow bolts in NWN1.

I'll be purchasing the game tomorrow afternoon though, regardless. I've got serious X-Com withdrawl.

Yep. Pretty sure that's the "center on shot" option. I don't think you can frame the view enough to always watch your shot, though. Make sure you get the official patch- the game is annoying without hotkeys.

Back
Top Bottom