Eschalon Book II is out

I just ordered it, download finished about two seconds before typing this.

*EDIT*

After putting in a couple hours in making characters, and another couple in playing, my view so far is this:

It's everything right about Eschalon 1, with a lot more polish. There's not a lot to say about this that could be improved; off hand I can only think of the walking speed. It's got the same setup and charm of the original, an improved UI, and a better resolution to boot. While 2 hours isn't no where really, I don't think it'll drop off any. The original got better as you played.

So if you liked the original, you'll probably like this one.

Last edited:
I just played with the demo. This game is really very good and a lot of polish. Considering the amount of UI interfaces, I think this is about the best interface I've used in a long time - very polished. I'm ordering the game right now.

I'm still in an Oblivion rut, but I'd love to hear how mages play out if anyone attempts one. I found that Eschalon was not favorable to a character that didn't want to wield a weapon. The game was fairly fun, but moreso for melee classes.

I'm playing a mage and haven't had any real problems yet, though you still need some weapon skill. I'm not very far into the game, so I'm not sure if I'll be introuble later. However, I did manage to complete Book 1 with a mage!!

I do not have a weapon skill for my mage...never needed it...and I have put alot of hours into this game.

This is good news folks. Rune, were you a beta-tester on Book II? I remember you were one of the early adopters of Book I, just as I was. I generally don't hang around on forums when I'm not playing the game. Did you hang around over there? I'm hoping Thomas listened to his mage-players.

I was a beta tester on both games:)

Mage had one problem/trick, lack of mana, if you didn't invest asap during first levels on attributes increasing it. The mana bonus was a bonus at each level up, so the sooner the better.

But if you did so, it was an easy character to play, eventually, the druidic variation was also a great help for a mage character.

Very competent game for an indie title, though it seems somewhat limited in scope.

But it's sold at a fair price, and I'll likely buy this once I get around to finishing the first one.

I played a mage in the first one as well, and while I had piked up skill to use a staff, I ended up never using it. Thought about doing a mage this go around as well, but decided against it.

Thus far, I've been more a Ranger-type, with healing, instant-food spell, and using a sword instead of magic to end the pitiful lives of my enemies. Eventually I'll pull the Instant-water spell as well (just got to get the skill for it).

I got really lucky, and managed to get an Iron longsword right off the bat. All told I'm doing 10-14 damage straight off, which makes the early game easier. I also took enough cartography to actually see where I'm going. 5 points at start, 2 more to finish it out at level 2.

Back
Top Bottom