Darkest Dungeon - An Update from Redhook

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Red Hook Studios released a new website update today for Darkest Dungeon. They talk about the current state of the game, and the developers future plans.

Hello Everyone!

The past month has been incredible. We have been absolutely blown away by the support that Darkest Dungeon has received. On behalf of the team I want to thank you for making the game a success. We have been watching Twitch, YouTube, reading forums (our own & Steam’s) constantly since launch, sharing in your feedback, debates, rage and victories.

We set out to make a game that challenged some of the established RPG conventions, and were hopeful that players would ‘get it’, and you have! We are deeply humbled and grateful for your support and will work tirelessly to provide you all with an exceptional Early Access experience. Bugs will be squashed, balanced will be toyed with, content will be added, your heroes will die.

Where are we at?

Shipping the game, supporting the launch, attending GDC and SXSW have been our focus since releasing the game on Feb 3. We even managed a few days off here and there (Saturday and Sunday, most notably!) to rest and recharge after the gruelling hours of December and January. We’ve been as aggressive as possible tracking down crash bugs, providing technical and backer support, and generally trying to make ourselves as reachable and responsive as possible.

Now that the initial flood has subsided, we will be shifting our focus to making forward progress on the remaining content and features, driving toward our 1.0 release. We’re excited to get started!
More information.

Heard many good things about this game. I wish I could stomach the art style. :(

Heard many good things about this game. I wish I could stomach the art style. :(

Funny, that's one of the things that attracted me.

It's a great little gem. Love the art style and it fits the game.

Was considering this purchase but one question stands out: is there an endgame or is it like most traditional Rogue-likes where the whole point of the game is going as far as you can and not dying mercilessly (I'm aware of hiring new group members in towns)?

Meh, I'll wait on the purchase. I get the feeling this is more of a "play for a week and subsequently get bored" game, given my typical lack of interest in rogue-likes.

My impression too...

It's a game you play for awhile...come back to whenever....easy to step back in.

Meh, I'll wait on the purchase. I get the feeling this is more of a "play for a week and subsequently get bored" game, given my typical lack of interest in rogue-likes.

it's not really a rogue-like, at least not the type of rogue-like I hate. I hate rogue-likes because you keep dying and have to start over. DD is actually the reverse of that. You may lose a character in a dungeon, even in the worst case scenario (very rare) you can lose a full party, and yet you can continue playing, all the upgrades to your city remain so the game keeps getting easier and easier. It's really not a rogue-like, like at all, except for only being able to save between adventures, like the original Wizardrys did.

It gets repetitive quite fast in my opinion. (one negative : P)

Yeah. :(

I like the art style but I played about 20 weeks (game time) and it started to feel like a grind-fest. Gotta grind easy dungeons to level up your dudes. The loot is boring, there's nothing to really explore, no cool events, etc.

Also, I love roguelikes, but this isn't one.

Back
Top Bottom