The TV Series discussion thread

Why does no-one (but me) ever mention Continuum when listing great SF shows?

I watched like the first season but never really liked it. It started with a -10 for doing the same thing every show does… the 'geek' guy can do every imaginable thing in his little garage/basement, automatic -10 to my impression of any new show.

Oh, I forgot to mention Breaking Bad, as I've already seen that. Good show, if a tad overrated in my opinion.

The Shield is great - but I've seen that some years ago.

I've seen a few episodes of the new Doctor Who - and while I kinda liked the quirky nature of it, I'm not really sure it's for me.

But thanks for the recommendations ;)
Doctor Who may not be your type of show, but do give it at least the whole season to decide. I tried watching it and abandoned it after the first 4 episodes, also thought it wasn't the type of show for me. 2 years later I decided to try it again, watched the first season and now I'm a total "Whovian". Seasons 2 and 3 are my favorite seasons of any TV show ever.

Or, it may just not be your type of show, sort of like I don't like any detective or police shows people keep recommending me. It's just not my thing.

Doctor Who may not be your type of show, but do give it at least the whole season to decide. I tried watching it and abandoned it after the first 4 episodes, also thought it wasn't the type of show for me. 2 years later I decided to try it again, watched the first season and now I'm a total "Whovian". Seasons 2 and 3 are my favorite seasons of any TV show ever.

Or, it may just not be your type of show, sort of like I don't like any detective or police shows people keep recommending me. It's just not my thing.

Good suggestion. It was "almost like" for me, so I really should give it a whole season ;)

I really need to give Doctor Who another try as well. I used to love watching the reruns of the older series, but I haven't been able to get into the post 2005 revival for some reason.

I watched the first 3 episodes with Christopher Eccleston, but they didn't grab me at all beyond thinking that Billie Piper was sort of cute.

I really need to give Doctor Who another try as well. I used to love watching the reruns of the older series, but I haven't been able to get into the post 2005 revival for some reason.

I watched the first 3 episodes with Christopher Eccleston, but they didn't grab me at all beyond thinking that Billie Piper was sort of cute.

As I grew up with Tom Baker, I tried out the Eccleston series for a couple of episodes and never got hooked either. It was through my younger son loving David Tennant and Matt Smith that I got re-engaged ... it is good stuff.

Anyone watched Extant? The first episode was ok i guess, but hardly a "can't wait to see next ep."..

We have watched a couple of episodes, and it is good enough to watch when we come across it, but not enough that we have sought the back episodes we missed or to complete the series.

The Strain is excellent. I look forward to it every week. Just one small thing, the absurdity of the authorities and other people who refuse to accept anything is happening. It goes from intense and gripping to completely laughable. Seriously, I keep thinking about Officer Barbrady. Mechastriesand is destroying South Park right behind him and he's standing there going "Move along, nothing to see here."

The tv version of the Strain is so far, imo, better than the novel version was. The wife is enjoying as much or more than me at this point, I think they might be saving what happened to the kids' mum for the series finale this year.

I watched the first season of Black Sails recently.
Good Pirate setting and story. Prequel for Treasure Island by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894). This was one of my favourite books in my youth.

Oh, I forgot to mention Breaking Bad, as I've already seen that. Good show, if a tad overrated in my opinion.

The Shield is great - but I've seen that some years ago.

I've seen a few episodes of the new Doctor Who - and while I kinda liked the quirky nature of it, I'm not really sure it's for me.

But thanks for the recommendations ;)

There is Sons of Anarchy - made by the creator of The Shield, but some people like it, some people can't stand it - too many cliffhangers in my opinion, sometimes doesn't feel real like The Shield was. I enjoyed Deadwood, although it ended abruptly and the swearing is sweet :)
There's also Boardwalk Empire which can be enjoyable if you like gangster movies and roaring twenties mood.

The tv version of the Strain is so far, imo, better than the novel version was. The wife is enjoying as much or more than me at this point, I think they might be saving what happened to the kids' mum for the series finale this year.

I haven't read the novel, but the tv show is, imo, average at best. The plot has been ok so far, and I like the concept in general, but the acting leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh I agree, the tv show certainly is no Deadwood or anything nearly that good, it was more of a shot at how bad the books were. One of those rare times where the TV version is far superior.

There is Sons of Anarchy - made by the creator of The Shield, but some people like it, some people can't stand it - too many cliffhangers in my opinion, sometimes doesn't feel real like The Shield was. I enjoyed Deadwood, although it ended abruptly and the swearing is sweet :)
There's also Boardwalk Empire which can be enjoyable if you like gangster movies and roaring twenties mood.

I've tried Boardwalk Empire, but I found Steve Buscemi amazingly dull and lifeless. That's no good as the main guy in a show.

I'm trying The Strain right now, but I'm not impressed so far. Seems silly, really.

Was Rome on your already seen list ? Just finished season 1 and it is very good though the season finale was a bit depressing. A shame it was canceled.

Back
Top Bottom