Diablo 3 - 3.5M Sold in 24 hours

Unfortunately those numbers comes from WOW other MMO:S, and multiplayer games. I guess I should have added it is great news for the PC single player lovers. Piracy haven't been a big factor with these MMO's / multiplayer games so sales have stayed strong with them, so has investments in these kind of games for the PC.

Also the sims. The Sims franchise combined has sold far more units and sold them far more recently than the entire Diablo franchised combined. Something like 110 million units (Sims 1-3 plus expansion packs and not including Sims Store item purchases.)

Also the sims. The Sims franchise combined has sold far more units and sold them far more recently than the entire Diablo franchised combined. Something like 110 million units (Sims 1-3 plus expansion packs and not including Sims Store item purchases.)

First of all, there are online version of the sims. Second of all the sims 3 just sold 2.51 million on PC, that's still more than it sold to all consoles combined where it sold like 2 million…. ( but still not that impressive number ) Third it all builds on people sharing their creations online, buying new stuff online, and so on. I'd hardly call it an offline single player game.

Of course neither is Diablo 3. Here is hoping we'll soon see a great single player PC RPG, with that kind of system. I'd really be interessed in the sales for that!

'd hardly call it an offline single player game.

You do realize I wasn't disagreeing with you, right? Well alright, your numbers are wrong; as of Feb 2010:

The Sims 3 on the PC, which sold 3.7 million units in its first month and topped 4.5 million copies sold as of last month. Also in January, EA declared it the top-selling PC game of 2009 at global retailers.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-sims-turns-10-tops-125-million-units-6249485

But yeah my 110 million units for the franchise was also a bit low it seems. Just saying that there is a huge game/game-type driving PC game sales besides MMOs. While it only recently has added significant online components to actual gameplay, the store and social aspects have heavily linked the game to an online space of sorts for years. Rather than some counterpoint to what you were saying, I considered this a supporting example which also tends to be overlooked.

Last edited:
…Of course neither is Diablo 3. Here is hoping we'll soon see a great single player PC RPG, with that kind of system. I'd really be interessed in the sales for that!

Like Skyrim?

pibbur-who-knows-he-shouldn't-have-said-that-because-GG-don't-like-said-game-and-won't-consider-it-a-good-example-and-that's-ok-and-it's-not-particularly-relevant-either-but-COULDN'T-RESIST-and-therefore-will-go-into-HIDING-and-not-post-anything-on-the-watch-for-at-least-24-HOURS

1,2) The majority of buyers do want these features, people choose steam over GOG for example, even if there are some people who don't care for these features, most of them won't mind having them there. There is only very few like you who feels hurt by them being there and feel the extra cost of development is an unacceptable cost.

The perception of it changes nothing to it.

The comparison of Steam to GOG was intended to be serious? It is a matter of choice when a provider does not provide a title while another provides it? Seriously?
3) Increased sales will benefit the entire industry, either we'll see lower prices because they don't need to compensate for piracy, or we'll see more content for the same price, because they earn more money on each game. But by far best of all, this will be pure gold for PC gaming!!! Gone will be the days of companies moving to consoles and focusing only on consoles, I am sure we'll also see a lot more PC only titles, and much fewer PC game developers going bankrupt.

Consumers are part of the industry? Arent consumers supposed to take options that benefit themselves and themselves first?

Good, so more content,as expected, even though it has to be that way. So easy to attribute it to the online requirement. Accordingly, the new solar flares activity will lead to more content in videos. Check it when it happens. In the next years, more content in games, all that thanks to the sun activity.
Patches) Again they'll need to learn and also have much more pressure to make a higher quality delivery of patches, no more "you don't have to play with that patch" excuses. It'll be more like MMO's make the patch wrong and you're punished severely by angry players!
But developpers/publishers have learned. They have learned that as they are allowed to push for unproperly finished games, they can release unfinished games.
They have taken their lesson.

.Of course neither is Diablo 3. Here is hoping we'll soon see a great single player PC RPG, with that kind of system. I'd really be interessed in the sales for that!

It's called DragonAge, NWN , and lets not forget every TES game. The games had toolsets and were only lacking the ability to host and share the creations. The idea isn't new but I agree it would be a nice feature .

I see a few problems also. I'm sure the publishers would charge you for it and find more ways too nickel and dime you. For now I'm content with using the nexus and ign sites.

PC gaming has been staging a comeback for the last 5 years or so. Since 2010 more money has been generated through PC game sales than console game sales and in 2011 PC games raked in a record 18.6 billion dollars (expected to grow to 25 billion in 2015.) Also, considering the average budget of developing a multiplatform console game is over 20 million dollars (compared to 5 million in 2005 and about 1 million in 2000,) and that some developers have already come out complaining that developing games for the next xbox will see development costs double AGAIN, and I think you'll be seeing more developers concentrating on the PC market in the future even with the piracy threat.

Better to wait for the next generation of consoles to say that.

Comparison is rather undue at the moment. Developpers are caged with the obsolescence of consoles. They are nearing the optimal technological yield from console developpment.

Seven years or eight year old consoles which features a simple core processor etc while multi threading developpment is amortized in many ways, no longer a match for PCs.

Third it all builds on people sharing their creations online, buying new stuff online, and so on. I'd hardly call it an offline single player game.

That will severly reduce the possibility for a SP game to exist.

Why stop at that? Any game offering mod opportunity also involves creation sharing online? Any game involving DLCs has to be excluded?

That leaves not that many games to be SP.

Wait, I forgot, games have to be defined by the means they use, not the opposite. Hence the RPG elements story.

So yes, any game making use of incidental use of internet connection has to be hardly a SP game.

Better to wait for the next generation of consoles to say that.

Comparison is rather undue at the moment. Developpers are caged with the obsolescence of consoles. They are nearing the optimal technological yield from console developpment.

Seven years or eight year old consoles which features a simple core processor etc while multi threading developpment is amortized in many ways, no longer a match for PCs.

Well we have the specs from the WII U and the XBOX 720. I'm just waiting to see what Sony offers for the PS4. From the specs given so far pc's will still be more powerful but at least the consoles will finally get upgraded and use DX11.

Like Skyrim?

pibbur-who-knows-he-shouldn't-have-said-that-because-GG-don't-like-said-game-and-won't-consider-it-a-good-example-and-that's-ok-and-it's-not-particularly-relevant-either-but-COULDN'T-RESIST-and-therefore-will-go-into-HIDING-and-not-post-anything-on-the-watch-for-at-least-24-HOURS

Will you try and change your name too, to hide your identity ?

I recommend pibburv2.1945

Will you try and change your name too, to hide your identity ?

I recommend pibburv2.1945

I think I'd go for pibbur who.

pibbur who thinks maybe he shouldn't have said that. *ponders*

Back
Top Bottom