Looking for a good rpg to match these requirements...

thartanian

Watchdog
1. game from the 90s (DOS or windows)
2. good solid story
3. good combat system
4. great music score that can be played from either a mt-32 or a general midi device

The middle two requirements are of course objective but I will take all takers as long as the 1st and 4th are met.

-Tristan

Last edited:
Betrayal at Krondor.

I'm not sure about 4. though. BaK has a great sound track, but I'm not sure which standards it supports besides CDA.

Albion

And there's someone using an old Gravis Ultrasound for general midi in Dosbox, so about as close as you'll be lucky to find an example of what it might sort of sound like on your setup. It demonstrates the ambient/area musics of a couple places. The second location is probably a better representation.

I'd second Ultima 7 but the combat in that was pretty much turn it on, watch it happen, and occasionally pause to use a potion or spell and it sounded like you actually wanted combat that was a little more involved.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I can't say I remember the music, but I can't remember being forced to turn it off. I can't say I've ever seen that as a primary requirement before. :p

Hmm the midi thing is a tough nut to crack. I think games like Might & Magic 6+ all have high quality music. Maybe M&M 3-5?

Perhaps the "Realms Of Arcania" games ?

Ultima 7 and a good combat system are antipodals - aside from that, U7 is a fantastic game that definately needs to be played by any RPG fan.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I can't say I remember the music, but I can't remember being forced to turn it off. I can't say I've ever seen that as a primary requirement before.
Perhaps the "Realms Of Arcania" games ?

Absolutely seconded.

Back
Top Bottom