Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

Any platform can be good or crappy it depends on how you utilize it. I also own a 3ds and nintendo always has to have some gimmick to make a platform crappier than it could be.

As I said, it's just yet another example of how crappy it can be. I'm looking for examples of how good it can be when it comes to interesting games.

And lol at this comment from toucharcade:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=195993&page=22

"Well, what do you expect from a professional website that takes a broad view of gaming as a whole? As opposed to individuals with chronic gaming platform inferiority complex, ready to brand whichever next dull-witted, generic FPS comes along as "raising the bar"?"

I think his talking about you Dartagnab. So yea, for you the game is a 5/10 but o ly because you fit that mold.

Powerful tablet docked with keyboard is basically a laptop, isn't it?

Laptops have already replaced "workstations" a long time ago for the vast majority of casual users - and even many mainstream users.

Sure, in the future - tablets will be powerful enough to do all desktop work, and they very nearly are already - but for actual work, the practical implication is that you're using a laptop. If the word "tablet" is important because you can separate it from the keyboard and the larger screen - then I'm ok with that. I'd agree we're headed in a direction that's more mobile and convenient - regardless of what we choose to call the computers.

But holding a small device in your hands and interacting only in that way will never replace PCs - at least not until voice recognition or brain signal interpretation is perfect.

Besides, it will take quite a leap to get the gaming industry to move away from the Windows platform - though I suppose it could happen if the incentive was there.

But even laptops suffer from being very inferior in performance to a workstation of a similar price level. Which means they'd have to target lower performance hardware - and that'd mean less impressive games. Nah, there's always going to be a market for games that take advantage of high-end hardware - but it might not be all that big in the future. It's already been heavily reduced from the 90s - where companies like Origin always pushed the envelope - because they didn't need to worry about consoles.

On the topic of tablets being able to handle PC games, etc., no one has heard of the Ultrabook? In the UK I hear they are still called netbooks because of their size.

The Windows 8 tablets are able to handle some very fine writing, which is why my co-worker got one for med school.

I think maybe the real problem is iOS and Android really aren't PC operating systems just as Pocket Windows wasn't.

And lol at this comment from toucharcade:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=195993&page=22

"Well, what do you expect from a professional website that takes a broad view of gaming as a whole? As opposed to individuals with chronic gaming platform inferiority complex, ready to brand whichever next dull-witted, generic FPS comes along as "raising the bar"?"

I think his talking about you Dartagnab. So yea, for you the game is a 5/10 but o ly because you fit that mold.

Are you trying to say that I'm ready to brand the next dull-witted, generic FPS as one that raises the bar?

Because I don't think you will find that to be the case.

But if you need these fantasy perceptions to hold on to your iPad fantasy perception - then I won't stand in your way.

You've become quite the source of amusement around here, and I appreciate that :)

From TA:

"I wonder is that guy that review the game on eurogamer is not a upset fan because deus ex make is way on ios."

"Honestly, I get the impression that he is one of those fans, and more strikingly in the responses so are all the followers of the site. Some of the things he complained about were very iOS gaming specific, as if he is not familiar with iOS gaming in general. Movement complaints and A.I. gripes, it sounds like he was expecting so etching more, but admittedly even on a gaming device he would have met the same issues with the A.I…. You're not going to get PC or console FPS A.I. on any mobile device so the argument seems ill fought."

Not just followers to his site, but so are you (one of those fans).

I'm definitely a fan of quality games :)

I know it's upsetting that people who prefer quality speak out against a lack of quality - but that's to be expected, really.

No its the user interface you have a problem with, notthe actual wuality of the software which there is plenty of.

The user interface is but a small aspect of the lack of quality - and it's indeed part of the quality of interactive software.

Your writing alone should prove my point.

Ao full on final fantasy games, baldurs gate, avadon, xcom, frozen synapse, etc. are anything to lament except their user interface implementations?

You mean aside from being inferior ports of PC/console games - and most of them being rather ancient in concept and presentation?

Nah, I'm not lamenting those games.

I'm lamenting the lack of something better.

You repeat this with an emotional level as if the developers raped your puppy or something … but without any context or explanation. Because it isn't the game you want on the platform you want it is a 'fraud' and 'scandalous'? If you have a point I would love to hear it … seriously.
What exact explanation you want?
iPhone can't do tricks needed for the DX experience. You can dumb any game down and release it on a smartphone, but it would be fair to name it "dumbed down xy". If this smartphone DX game was titled dumbed down DX, I wouldn't mention it anywhere at all. But no, it's called DX.
That's a fraud. You may disagree, but that won't change the way I think about it.

Looking forward to it.

Do we have any word on expected playtime?

Well, I got about an hour of play on the plane (still beta testing another iPad game which is using most of my time). Some thoughts:

- FPS on iPad = guaranteed compromise. For me, that means managing the frustration of how much better it would play on a PC.
- Hybrid controls - helps manage frustration ;) Tap to cover is a decent system.
- Graphics - quite solid, on the level of X-COM.
- Performance - also solid. I always reboot the iPad after installing a demanding game to free memory, and didn't have a single issue.
- Story - very average, haven't read the book it works from, but since the game is episodic it might get better (heck, it might get better as I play)
- Enemies - remember the Ctrl-Alt-Del comic about Thief Deadly Shadows? Yeah, they are THAT dumb ... maybe even dumber.
- Stealth - I am not the greatest stealth player, but I still found my play hampered by the enemy AI.
- Overall gameplay ... mediocre. FPS stuff easily the worst part of the game.

Based on an hour I would say ~3/5 stars would be as high as I would go - definitely not 2/5, but certainly no higher than 3/5.

For $6.99 I have already had a reasonable amount of fun and don't feel ripped off, but if you are looking for a true DX experience this is the worst thing since Invisible War crapped all over my hard drive in 2003 ... ;)

Is there anywhere you can get the original deus ex or any of the other titlesformac for about $5 online? Id liketo try one but have no more than that to spend nor a pc at home.

Is there anywhere you can get the original deus ex or any of the other titlesformac for about $5 online? Id liketo try one but have no more than that to spend nor a pc at home.

Sadly Deus Ex isn't compatible with Mac OS X ... but I would recommend checking out System Shock 2 on gog.com to figure out why all of this stuff matters to PC gamers.

Well, I got about an hour of play on the plane (still beta testing another iPad game which is using most of my time). Some thoughts:

- FPS on iPad = guaranteed compromise. For me, that means managing the frustration of how much better it would play on a PC.
- Hybrid controls - helps manage frustration ;) Tap to cover is a decent system.
- Graphics - quite solid, on the level of X-COM.
- Performance - also solid. I always reboot the iPad after installing a demanding game to free memory, and didn't have a single issue.
- Story - very average, haven't read the book it works from, but since the game is episodic it might get better (heck, it might get better as I play)
- Enemies - remember the Ctrl-Alt-Del comic about Thief Deadly Shadows? Yeah, they are THAT dumb … maybe even dumber.
- Stealth - I am not the greatest stealth player, but I still found my play hampered by the enemy AI.
- Overall gameplay … mediocre. FPS stuff easily the worst part of the game.

Based on an hour I would say ~3/5 stars would be as high as I would go - definitely not 2/5, but certainly no higher than 3/5.

For $6.99 I have already had a reasonable amount of fun and don't feel ripped off, but if you are looking for a true DX experience this is the worst thing since Invisible War crapped all over my hard drive in 2003 … ;)

Thank you for the feedback :)

I'm a huge DE fan, but at this price level I won't be trying it out. It's obviously not a game for me.....

Reviewed by someone without knowledge of the series... How appropriate ;)

Reviewed by someone without knowledge of the series… How appropriate ;)

At least he is up front about it - because in some cases that allows you to view without baggage ... but for folks like us the context of playing the original is critical. Also, the view taken is again about 'stuffing console gaming on a tablet'. For me, the 'consolization' that resulted in Invisible War is one of those sad milestones in how console gaming has drastically dumbed down games through the years, resulting in less intelligent and more shallow games.

Back
Top Bottom