PC Gamer - Misogyny & Video Gamers

When female cries, someone tries to help. Its acceptable in society as "call for help". But for men its unacceptable. Even small crying boys are mocked sometimes by other kids. BTW I wonder why those "equalizers" dont fight for equality in such cases…

Actually they DO ... there are many who advocate for more men to be true to themselves, and to own their emotions. But of course there are those who will mock such shows of emotion - any time there is change there is resistance. The more that parents teach kids that it isn't 'wrong' for boys to like pink things or dolls or for girls to like contact sports or video games and so on ... the more it will become normalized in culture and acceptable.

But things take time, and inbred bias we grew up with is hard to remove even if we want to - and harder to remove it from those who see such changes as a threat or otherwise negative. But even in most of those cases I don't think people are really compelled by some grand sense of cataclysmic outrage that might be suggested on some corners of the internet.

I think that most people here are pretty reasonable, and honestly we all have fairly limited scope of influence ... we do what we can to hopefully make the world a better place for everyone.

Actually they DO … there are many who advocate for more men to be true to themselves, and to own their emotions. But of course there are those who will mock such shows of emotion - any time there is change there is resistance. The more that parents teach kids that it isn't 'wrong' for boys to like pink things or dolls or for girls to like contact sports or video games and so on … the more it will become normalized in culture and acceptable.

But things take time, and inbred bias we grew up with is hard to remove even if we want to - and harder to remove it from those who see such changes as a threat or otherwise negative. But even in most of those cases I don't think people are really compelled by some grand sense of cataclysmic outrage that might be suggested on some corners of the internet.

I think that most people here are pretty reasonable, and honestly we all have fairly limited scope of influence … we do what we can to hopefully make the world a better place for everyone.

Add me to these people. Feminists are literally obsessed with men abandoning traditional masculinity and "showing their feelings". There is nothing wrong with traditional masculinity. Absolutely nothing wrong. You can try as many times as you want to get men to "show their feelings more", thinking it will achieve anything and it will fail every single time. Men don't get the same therapeutic effect about "venting out their feelings" that women do. They feel better by accomplishing things and by getting status. No amount of propaganda is going to change that by an iota.

What is actually unreasonable is trying to socially engineer men to go against their biology and turn them into something that they're not.

HHR - this post illustrates my main point of argument with you: the need to represent all groups as a monolithic stereotype to push a certain narrow religious/political view or agenda.

Rather than rebut what you said, because for some people it is absolutely true and others it is absolutely false, and forrr still others it is in-betweet ... let me suggest something else:

People are NOT monolithic stereotypes. When you say "feminists ARE X" or "men ARE Y" or "the 'traditional family IS Z" ... it is easy enough to rebut. Find one person who is different, then you are wrong.

People exist on a spectrum, representing all aspects in all different areas. It is recognizing ad celebrating that individuality and diversity that makes us all better people and makes the world a better place. And part of that is not forcing ANYONE to be who they are not. If a man is emotional - great, that is correct for him. If not, also great!

Know what I mean?

I'm a low status male and I never bully ladies, and very rarely any men. Another study might suggest people are low status because they don't bully well enough (well enough meaning well enough legally).

The more common-sense reason why bullying exists beyond naturally born bullies is stress and insecurity/inadequacy - and the less status someone has, the more stressed, insecure and inadequate they feel. It is, however, quite possible for high status people to encounter stress, insecurity and inadequacy, what with life being such a cascading pyramid.

The predominant difference between low status and high status is that old chestnut of Chivalry. Chivalry being an aspiration of high status, either through parental education or via emulation by the once poor newly rich enjoying the challenge of fitting in.

More total liberal feminist cherry-picked drivel. It's embarrassing and outrageous that many posters on this site have paid for this through their taxes.

It's just so stupid to go online, see teenagers acting boisterously and with vulgarity, and say "See? SEE??? This is YET more proof of misogyny and rape culture RIGHT THERE!"

I'm a low status male and I never bully ladies, and very rarely any men. Another study might suggest people are low status because they don't bully well enough (well enough meaning well enough legally).

The more common-sense reason why bullying exists beyond naturally born bullies is stress and insecurity/inadequacy - and the less status someone has, the more stressed, insecure and inadequate they feel. It is, however, quite possible for high status people to encounter stress, insecurity and inadequacy, what with life being such a cascading pyramid.

You might want to read the study, because the "low status" is about insecurity/inadequacy feelings.

More total liberal feminist cherry-picked drivel. It's embarrassing and outrageous that many posters on this site have paid for this through their taxes.

It's just so stupid to go online, see teenagers acting boisterously and with vulgarity, and say "See? SEE??? This is YET more proof of misogyny and rape culture RIGHT THERE!"

OK, there is absolutely no content in this comment ... please provide content, context, and supporting evidence. If you are refuting something, state it and provide fully backed studies that support your claim.

You might want to read the study, because the "low status" is about insecurity/inadequacy feelings.

Yes, I know, that's why I wrote what I wrote…

In common parlance - isn't it just stating the obvious. As in "New study states the obvious, professor delighted at new car and TV interviews" etc etc.

Edit: And before I get accused of being cynical again - the low status 'rough' male has been a literary cliche in literature for neigh on 300 years…

Edit 2: And, yes, "a literary cliche in literature" is indeed appalling literacy.

Last edited:
OK, there is absolutely no content in this comment … please provide content, context, and supporting evidence. If you are refuting something, state it and provide fully backed studies that support your claim.

Well, I doubt anyone will get governmental grants to fund a study to show that misogyny is not serious online, so I think it is a false dichotomy.

What I think is that everyone gets maligned online, which is why I never liked it in the first place. I remember playing Counter-Strike and people shouting to me "Hey, are you gay, ARE YOU GAY?". I didn't start thinking that online gaming was full of hatred toward homosexuals after having experienced that.

But it's just part of the smack talk that you will see online, especially coming from teenagers. I don't think women can expect special treatment online, or that if they get this kind of smack talk it is "misogyny" in any particular way.

People will just take whatever ammunition they can use against you and use it. It's very very far fetched to say that this is "part of the rape culture" when it is directed toward women. People used to make fun of me because I had a Canadian French accent. If you play online you simply have to learn to take things in stride. You can't expect to be treated like a special snowflake.

So I think the whole premise is bogus to begin with, and these studies only exist to reinforce a preconceived, agenda-driven, feminist narrative.

Will there be cosplay at Trollfest 2015?

Will there be cosplay at Trollfest 2015?

Oh you mean the Codex is having a party?*

*please share when and where so I can prepare the... err... "fireworks"

Back
Top Bottom